Sonos Disappointment

JoshK

I work for Best Buy in home theater in particular and everyone is constantly hyping sonos. So finally today I broke down and bought the Play 3 for my room. First of all: having to control everything through the sonos app is the most frustrating thing ever. I cant even control music, volume, anything from the lock screen. Second and probably the biggest deal breaker for me was that there was no offline spotify integration meaning the service I pay 10 bucks a month for is now worthless and I dont have the best internet so streaming isnt an option. Third: you cant use any other program other than the sonos app(s), you cant simply stream audio from a device. I wont lie, the thing sounds good, but my less-than-elegant sub and small speaker duo is going to have to do unless sonos decides to add some extra features. Anyone else have sonos in their home or have any problems with it?

I work for Best Buy in home theater in particular and everyone is constantly hyping sonos. So finally today I broke down and bought the Play 3 for my room. First of all: having to control everything through the sonos app is the most frustrating thing ever. I cant even control music, volume, anything from the lock screen. Second and probably the biggest deal breaker for me was that there was no offline spotify integration meaning the service I pay 10 bucks a month for is now worthless and I dont have the best internet so streaming isnt an option. Third: you cant use any other program other than the sonos app(s), you cant simply stream audio from a device. I wont lie, the thing sounds good, but my less-than-elegant sub and small speaker duo is going to have to do unless sonos decides to add some extra features. Anyone else have sonos in their home or have any problems with it?

I thought streaming from the device was possbile. I think I read somewhere about a desktop application. Have you tried that thing?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

I have speakers so loud they blow women's clothes off. I could never make it with a Sonos. While your short review/impressions are good reasons to return it, have you considered buying something... I don't know... worth owning? For example, a modern receiver can do bluetooth, Spotify, Pandora, and even stream radio over internet.

Why anybody would buy a Sonos is beyond me.

Edit: And some modern receivers have phone apps that will let you control and play anything from your phone. I get to live fancy with my Yamaha receiver since it lets me control volume and track from the lock screen. I don't even have a very pricey model. I paid $225 for it.

I thought streaming from the device was possbile. I think I read somewhere about a desktop application. Have you tried that thing?

Yep I have the desktop app, yet you cant use any other program to stream. Just that app

I have speakers so loud they blow women's clothes off. I could never make it with a Sonos. While your short review/impressions are good reasons to return it, have you considered buying something... I don't know... worth owning? For example, a modern receiver can do bluetooth, Spotify, Pandora, and even stream radio over internet.

Why anybody would buy a Sonos is beyond me.

I really dont want to buy a receiver, but Ill have to hunt around for some sort of solution thats a little for elegant than what I have now. It is literally a ghetto rats nest of wires and adapters, but it works and sounds good. 

Yep I have the desktop app, yet you cant use any other program to stream. Just that app

I really dont want to buy a receiver, but Ill have to hunt around for some sort of solution thats a little for elegant than what I have now. It is literally a ghetto rats nest of wires and adapters, but it works and sounds good. 

Why so against receivers? What are you using now that you need adapters? Not even the wiring for my home theater sounds that bad...

Why so against receivers? What are you using now that you need adapters? Not even the wiring for my home theater sounds that bad...

A) Money B) Space. Right now I have a small bluetooth phone dock which has an aux with an 8" home theater sub. All of this wired to a y splitter to a Logitech bluetooth adapter.

A) Money B) Space. Right now I have a small bluetooth phone dock which has an aux with an 8" home theater sub. All of this wired to a y splitter to a Logitech bluetooth adapter.

I understand money and space... but it sounds like you need a receiver  ;)

An integrated amplifier and some bookshelf speakers would probably do wonders for you. They're small, generally pretty powerful and a lot of them support Bluetooth. Really the only downside is the cost of entry is a little higher than a Sonos Play 3. 

Main Rig:  CPU i5-4670k   MOBO Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI   GPU GTX 980ti    RAM 8GB  STORAGE 128GB ADATA(OS)/250GB Samsung 850 EVO(APPS)/3TB WD Red

AUDIO: AMP/DAC TEAC AI-301DA SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio SX50 Phones: Philips Fidelio X1

Chromecast Audio (although to use it non-streaming/non-internet you'll have install a Plex server) or a Mpow bluetooth reciever plus speaker amp + speaker or powered speakers (computer speakers) is the answer.  I used to love playing Pandora on my old Onkyo reciever, and I cried a little when it died.  I would get a Chromecast Audio in a heartbeat if I had the same need for it as I did back then.  I now have a bluetooth enabled reciever in my room.  Quality is top notch, I might be able to tell a difference if I did some serious A/B testing.

It used to cost a lot to add these functions, and there used to be a lot more compromises in terms of quality of sound.  Not so today.  Sonos can't possibly be worth the price in terms of functionality or sound quality, only for simplicity and design elegance.