Confused about PSU connectors

Go to solution Solved by Skyfire,

You don't have to connect the four pin. Unless you're an extreme overclocker, you don't need to. By extreme, I mean going for records and such.

Hi there,

I just checked some specs on the Maximus VI Formula which I ordered and I'm a little confused.

It says here (under "internal IO ports") that the Formula has 1x 8 pin ATX power connector and 1x 4 pin ATX power connector.

Now, my Corsair AX-750 has 2 EPS connectors and 1 ATX connector, according to this spec list.

Am I right with my assumption that the ATX connector corsair lists is the 24 pin main power connector to the mainboard, and the two EPS connectors are two 4 pin connectors for the CPU power?

If so, I won't be able to connect the additional 4 pin connector the Formula has right next to the 8 pin, right? Is that going to be a problem? I don't plan to overclock too much in the near future.

Thanks a lot for your help.

i7 4770K - Maximus VI Formula - GTX 780 Ti - Corsair 900D 

You don't have to connect the four pin. Unless you're an extreme overclocker, you don't need to. By extreme, I mean going for records and such.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

All right, thank you a lot!

i7 4770K - Maximus VI Formula - GTX 780 Ti - Corsair 900D 

All right, thank you a lot!

No worries, bud. Here to help. 

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore