hard drive formating

Go to solution Solved by micko12400,

Success!!! thanks guys for the help and quick responses i really appreciate it. i am now able to use it as a external drive!  

hi i recently upgraded my ps4 hard drive and would like to use the old hard drive as a normal portable hard drive i have bought an enclosure for it so it allows it to be connected by usb 3.0 but the problem is its not showing up in my computer so i was just wondering what i would need to do

Enclosure: silverstone TS04B 2.5in sata SSD/HDD usb 3.0 enclosure

HDD: samsung st500lm012 500GB

You need to go into Disk Management or some third party tool and remove the old partition. Then you need to create another partition.

Moved to Storage Solutions.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

hi i recently upgraded my ps4 hard drive and would like to use the old hard drive as a normal portable hard drive i have bought an enclosure for it so it allows it to be connected by usb 3.0 but the problem is its not showing up in my computer so i was just wondering what i would need to do

Enclosure: silverstone TS04B 2.5in sata SSD/HDD usb 3.0 enclosure

HDD: samsung st500lm012 500GB

open admin  cmd prompt

use diskpart to clean the disk

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

You need to go into Disk Management or some third party tool and remove the old partition. Then you need to create another partition.

it 

it just says unallocated good or bad?

it just says unallocated good or bad?

Can you post a screenshot? Unallocated just means there's no partition assigned to that part of the capacity.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

~snip~

Hey there micko12400 :)

When you plug the drive in your computer can you see it in Disk Management? Here's how to get there: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=U1WlNY
One you get there you should be able to see all your storage drives including this one. If you don't have anything important on the drive simply delete all the existing partitions, create a new volume, partition and format it, give it a letter and enjoy your new drive. :) 
If you don't see the drive there I'd try to connect the drive directly to the motherboard with a SATA cable and connect it to the power cable and then check if the drive is visible in BIOS, Device Manager or Disk Management. 

Post back with some results. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Success!!! thanks guys for the help and quick responses i really appreciate it. i am now able to use it as a external drive!