Hefty, wide-base Tripod sub-$200?

Go to solution Solved by bob345,

Hi all,

I just picked up this teleprompter - http://www.ebay.com/itm/321217702613?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It works great.

However, my main tripod's quick release plate can't attach to it, and the tripod I have that can attach to it can't hold it very well, the whole rig almost fell in the floor.

I need to stand in front of the tripod, and I'm quite tall, so I've been using this tripod, but like I said, the screw in the quick release plate isn't tall enough to screw into it, and it's a POS plate anyway. But when I was shopping Amazon for other 75" tripods, they all looked the exact same/looked like they had the same plate.

So I switched to an older, but more durable, Sony tripod I have, but it's a lot shorter, so I had to extend the middle pole up a lot. Left it there all day and it was fine, but then when I hit record (adding movement) the whole plate flipped out.

So I need a tripod that has a sturdy attachment base. Either a large/wide plate system, or one that I can attach my own tripod head to, that could support the weight of that prompter + DSLR + tablet. But I don't exactly have the ability to spend a TON on it. And I need it to get close to my 6'2" height, or things are going to look bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, as always.

i use this tripod with a manfrotto 502ah fluidhead http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-67-Inch-Video-Camera-Tripod/dp/B00CEH7VG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450564840&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+basics+video+tripod

It is built like a tank. The main trade off with that tripod is the weight. While its built very well, its HEAVY. The video head on it is also fairly mediocer. Good if you are not wanting to pan or tilt with video though.

Hi all,

I just picked up this teleprompter - http://www.ebay.com/itm/321217702613?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It works great.

However, my main tripod's quick release plate can't attach to it, and the tripod I have that can attach to it can't hold it very well, the whole rig almost fell in the floor.

I need to stand in front of the tripod, and I'm quite tall, so I've been using this tripod, but like I said, the screw in the quick release plate isn't tall enough to screw into it, and it's a POS plate anyway. But when I was shopping Amazon for other 75" tripods, they all looked the exact same/looked like they had the same plate.

So I switched to an older, but more durable, Sony tripod I have, but it's a lot shorter, so I had to extend the middle pole up a lot. Left it there all day and it was fine, but then when I hit record (adding movement) the whole plate flipped out.

So I need a tripod that has a sturdy attachment base. Either a large/wide plate system, or one that I can attach my own tripod head to, that could support the weight of that prompter + DSLR + tablet. But I don't exactly have the ability to spend a TON on it. And I need it to get close to my 6'2" height, or things are going to look bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, as always.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

You were warned about the tripod and mounting system in a previous topic.  Center column tripods for video, especially with the stuff you want to mount, is pretty much useless.  They introduce an instability that should not be there.  Center columns are useful mainly for photography.

Here are some tripods you can check out, as I said avoid the ones with center columns.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|1&ci=3909&setNs=p_PRICE_2|1&N=3907816552&mxp=200&srtclk=sort

Go for something like this.  It doesn't have to be this exact model, but this design is something you should consider for a video tripod.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770286-REG/Acebil_HM_20_HM_20_Tripod_System.html

When you buy, make sure you buy one that can support the weight of the tripod head and the camera gear.  And the tripod head should also be able to support the camera gear.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

You were warned about the tripod and mounting system in a previous topic.  

Which I acknowledged, and said was a lower priority as I can only buy things in short bursts - which is still true.

If the quick release plate for my normal tall tripod attached to it, I'd be perfectly fine - it's that tall w/o using the center column.

The problem is, most "video tripods" are nowhere near tall enough without a center column, as seen with most of these.  59" doesn't cut it to get the camera at eye level with me, being 6'2" ish.

Height-wise, I've found a couple that go up to ~64", which probably will be okay with the added height of the prompter & DSLR, i.e. this one, but it has a tiny plate base, which does not give me confidence that it will support the prompter.

What about the optional dolly system on ones like this one? The plate base is still a concern, but that would be convenient, if it would be stable enough.

snip

Well tall video tripods tend to be above your $200 budget.  You could get a heavy duty photo tripod like the Gitzo Systematic which can be very tall and mount a video head on top, like I am doing.  But these are expensive.

And also keep in mind that often tripods are used to film stuff like interviews and newscasts where people are sitting down.  When filming things standing up people tend to shoulder mount or use dolly and jib systems.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Well tall video tripods tend to be above your $200 budget.  You could get a heavy duty photo tripod like the Gitzo Systematic which can be very tall and mount a video head on top, like I am doing.  But these are expensive.

And also keep in mind that often tripods are used to film stuff like interviews and newscasts where people are sitting down.  When filming things standing up people tend to shoulder mount or use dolly and jib systems.

Yes, those look absurdly expensive.

Okay, so there are a couple which still have really sturdy legs, a much more ideal head, and get up to the height I need w/ column. Says it supports up to 11lb, and I can sand-bag the column via the hook. Tripod would literally stand still and very rarely get touched. (like this one)

Still avoid?

Are these measured in the legs, or from tip of feet to the top of the head?

The maximum height of a tripod is measured when it's fully extended and the legs are spread out.  From the floor to the top of the tripod.  It's like measuring the height of a triangle, not the length of the sides.

And I would definitely NOT get that sunpak tripod if you want to use it with a prompter system.  You also need to consider balancing the entire rig.

What seems weird to me, is all of the ones ideal for my height have the same plate style. Is there any way to remove the head and add my own? Or do they restrict that to the more expensive tripods just to make you buy pricey ones? 

The plates lock into place, so they should be fine, but their lack of size still slightly concerns me. My plate for my fluid head is huge.

If I'm this limited, I may go with this one - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838212-REG/Davis_Sanford_75mm_PRO_VISTA_VIDEO.html

64" + ~4" from the rig should be enough. +2" from the dolly if I use it and I'm lucky.

Thoughts?

Edit: This is all in hope that the attachment screw is long enough to mount the prompter in the first place, else it's no better than the tripod I wanted to use >_> 

Which seems like it's up in the air.

EDIT2: Someone in the reviews said they replaced the head on this. I'm wondering if I could do the same. Worth a shot.

The maximum height of a tripod is measured when it's fully extended and the legs are spread out.  From the floor to the top of the tripod.  It's like measuring the height of a triangle, not the length of the sides.

And I would definitely NOT get that sunpak tripod if you want to use it with a prompter system.  You also need to consider balancing the entire rig.

Best advice I can give you at this point is that you take your camera and prompter system to a store that carries a variety of tripods and see which one meets your requirements.  That's how I buy my gear, I go to the stores and tell them my requirements, show them what I am going to be using and we discuss what they have and is suitable.

Best advice I can give you at this point is that you take your camera and prompter system to a store that carries a variety of tripods and see which one meets your requirements.  That's how I buy my gear, I go to the stores and tell them my requirements, show them what I am going to be using and we discuss what they have and is suitable.

I'll just order this one when I have the money and go from there. 

Don't really have the time/capabilities for that right now.

Thanks, though.

Hi all,

It works great.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, as always.

i use this tripod with a manfrotto 502ah fluidhead http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-67-Inch-Video-Camera-Tripod/dp/B00CEH7VG8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450564840&sr=8-1&keywords=amazon+basics+video+tripod

It is built like a tank. The main trade off with that tripod is the weight. While its built very well, its HEAVY. The video head on it is also fairly mediocer. Good if you are not wanting to pan or tilt with video though.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Thanks!!

For you I think that tripod is OK, but the OP wants to also mount a teleprompter.  That adds a bit more weight in front of the camera and can cause the system to become unbalanced.

If your camera system is placed with perfect balance on a video head, it shouldn't tilt forward or backward when you let go of the handle and the tilt control is turned loose.  But a small camera like a DSLR with a big teleprompter added to the front, the center of balance shifts, hence when adding accessories to a camera you need a good rig that will allow you to mount it onto a tripod with balance adjustment.

For example, when you attach a 400mm telephoto lens to a camera, you don't mount the camera body on the tripod, you switch to using the tripod mounting leg on the lens.

For you I think that tripod is OK, but the OP wants to also mount a teleprompter.  That adds a bit more weight in front of the camera and can cause the system to become unbalanced.

If your camera system is placed with perfect balance on a video head, it shouldn't tilt forward or backward when you let go of the handle and the tilt control is turned loose.  But a small camera like a DSLR with a big teleprompter added to the front, the center of balance shifts, hence when adding accessories to a camera you need a good rig that will allow you to mount it onto a tripod with balance adjustment.

yes, the head that comes with the tripod could be problematic if you dont keep it locked. It does not have any kind of counterbalance, so if its left loose it could will tilt and smack the lens on a tripod leg. I have had a few close calls with it. One thing to look out for.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

For example, when you attach a 400mm telephoto lens to a camera, you don't mount the camera body on the tripod, you switch to using the tripod mounting leg on the lens.

yes, the head that comes with the tripod could be problematic if you dont keep it locked. It does not have any kind of counterbalance, so if its left loose it could will tilt and smack the lens on a tripod leg. I have had a few close calls with it. One thing to look out for.

But it's the exact same style as virtually all of those tripods on B&H D:

Can you replace the head with a different one?

But it's the exact same style as virtually all of those tripods on B&H D:

Just because something looks physically similar from its outer appearance does not mean it has the same functions built inside.  A lot of cheap video heads are just fluid heads.  But really good ones have spring mechanisms that dampen movement, cause it to spring back into level position after letting go of the handle after tilting, can adjust the fluidity of the pan and tilt controls.

This lightweight Gitzo fluid head for video, ideal for small lightweight DSLR or camcorder setup, has a spring mechanism that will try to audo level itself again after tilting forward or backwards.  And this mechanism can be adjusted.

gitzo_g2180_fluid_head_1.jpg

Most tripods that come with the head included should allow for removing the head and adding your own.

Most tripods that come with the head included should allow for removing the head and adding your own.

None of mine do, and I've broken one trying. That's why I'm asking :P

I have this tripod head and it seems reliable enough to hold the rig, so would that be okay on that tripod?

Can you replace the head with a different one?

yes, you can. I currently have a manfrotto 502 fluid head on mine. The amazon video tripod has a standard 3/8's screw mount so virtually any tripod head should fit without issue.

None of mine do, and I've broken one trying. That's why I'm asking :P

I have this tripod head and it seems reliable enough to hold the rig, so would that be okay on that tripod?

that head should fit perfectly on the amazon legs

yes, you can. I currently have a manfrotto 502 fluid head on mine. The amazon video tripod has a standard 3/8's screw mount so virtually any tripod head should fit without issue.

Perfect, thanks!

-snip-

-snip-

One last question - would using a jib with a lot of weight on the back (like these) Be better than trying to over-extend tripods? Or would that be even worse?