how long to charge canon camera for initial charge?

The camera is a 

Canon Powershot SX530 HS 

For first time charge.

A couple of hours for full charge, it should be written in the manual.  The battery charger should also have a LED indicator that tells you when the battery is full.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A couple of hours for full charge, it should be written in the manual.  The battery charger should also have a LED indicator that tells you when the battery is full.

My dad always say do it for 8 hours and your battery will be good. IS that true?

It uses a Lithium-ion battery so charge it until it's full (100% full, not 99,9%) and then do whatever you feel like doing. Leave it in, discharge it, store it. Won't matter.

It uses a Lithium-ion battery so charge it until it's full (100% full, not 99,9%) and then do whatever you feel like doing. Leave it in, discharge it, store it. Won't matter.

Thank you

Until its fully charged?

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Until its fully charged?

Well my dad always said "the first time you charge a device, it should always be for 8 hours". I wanted to know if that is true or not?

that was true for NIMH batteries with LI-ION/LI-PO batteries you don't need to do an initial charge.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

that was true for NIMH batteries with LI-ION/LI-PO batteries you don't need to do an initial charge.

Thank you for you're help!

Well my dad always said "the first time you charge a device, it should always be for 8 hours". I wanted to know if that is true or not?

My dad said that fully uncharging a battery was good for it. I lost a lot of lipos that way. Fully charge the battery, charging it for 8 hours or 80 will make no difference, as most chargers stop charging once the battery reaches full capacity.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

My dad said that fully uncharging a battery was good for it. I lost a lot of lipos that way. Fully charge the battery, charging it for 8 hours or 80 will make no difference, as most chargers stop charging once the battery reaches full capacity.

Thanks!

My dad always say do it for 8 hours and your battery will be good. IS that true?

It depends on the battery technology used. For example Lithium-polymer batteries should be charged fully, then discharged to around the half-way point and them back up a few times. The smart chargers they come with, do this automatically and it takes time. But portable devices like cameras don't really use anything but Lithium-ion these days. It's different. There's no benefit from discharging the li-ion battery. Pretty much the opposite. Lithium-ion cells can take a few hundred charge-discharge cycles and then they pretty much bulge up and die. Nothing you can do about that. The smart chargers for Lithium-ion only drain a little from them after fully charging and top them off periodically. That's more of a keep-it-ready-to-go-during-storage-type-of-thing and doesn't help or hurt the longevity.

No, different batteries take different lengths of time to charge. Charge it until it's full for the initial charge. This makes sure the battery's full capacity is reached, that way in future charges it goes up 100%, not only to 90% or something.

It depends on the battery technology used. For example Lithium-polymer batteries should be charged fully, then discharged to around the half-way point and them back up a few times. The smart chargers they come with, do this automatically and it takes time. But portable devices like cameras don't really use anything but Lithium-ion these days. It's different. There's no benefit from discharging the li-ion battery. Pretty much the opposite. Lithium-ion cells can take a few hundred charge-discharge cycles and then they pretty much bulge up and die. Nothing you can do about that. The smart chargers for Lithium-ion only drain a little from them after fully charging and top them off periodically. That's more of a keep-it-ready-to-go-during-storage-type-of-thing and doesn't help or hurt the longevity.

Thank you for the help and information!