Question about setting up own name servers

P1X3

I have a single domain name domain.com which is registered at dynadot.com

Also I have a server running with DirectAdmin and the server's namehost is set to server.domain.com

Now I want to setup own name servers so other domain names can be attached to the server with ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com 

Server has two IP addresses x.x.x.250 and x.x.x.251, and I know different name servers are for redundancy.

I went to my domain registrar dynadot.com, selected domain.com, and registered two name servers, ns1.domain.com with ip x.x.x.250 and ns2.domain.com with ip x.x.x.251

Now where are those records specified or entered? How can I check them?

After registering those nameservers, how do I attach domain to the server? Do I just set domain.com's nameservers to ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com?

If I do so, doesn't that create a conflict?

The way I did it was to go into All Host records, using Record type "A (address)", with the IP address of the server (instead of ns1.domain.com, and either IP address should work). If your server supports IPv6, you'll need AAA, iirc.

For both @ and www hostnames (most domains have those two set up with URL redirects by default).

I wasn't using my own nameservers though, opted to use the default nameservers. You still need to tell the domain where the server is located.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The way I did it was to go into All Host records, using Record type "A (address)", with the IP address of the server (instead of ns1.domain.com, and either IP address should work). If your server supports IPv6, you'll need AAA, iirc.

For both @ and www hostnames (most domains have those two set up with URL redirects by default).

I wasn't using my own nameservers though, opted to use the default nameservers. You still need to tell the domain where the server is located.

So I have to use DNS option for domain.com

I have to set @ and www records for domain.com to point to x.x.x.250

Then I have to create additional A records for ns1.domain.com pointing to x.x.x.250 and ns2.domain.com pointing to x.x.x.251

For all the other domains I can just set nameservers to ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

Something like this?

Edit

post-6748-0-21262700-1377714314.png

I think that should work, yeah (does it?). If not, I can look into it more.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10982?page=0,2

You may not need IP address records for both ns1 and ns2 subdomains. If the server is set up correctly, both should resolve to the server IP. You only need to set the DNS settings to the ns1/ns2 in your domain registrars control panel. It can take some time for changes to occur.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

You may not need IP address records for both ns1 and ns2 subdomains. If the server is set up correctly, both should resolve to the server IP.

I thought so to, since I registered both ns servers. However they didn't resolve to correct ip addresses, so I added those records manually.