Optimal storage method

Mathematical

I will have one 800GB PCI-E SSD. I do not know how many SSDs I will use for the rest of my set up.

I want to seperate my OS, applications, videogames, computing data from one another. What would be the most optimal method for performance? I was thinking about using raid 0 with 3 1TB/2TB SSDs for my data or raid 10 with 4 SSDs. Would it be better to put my applications or OS onto the PCI-E SSD? Is there any benefit to using raid 0 for video games with SSDs?  The primary use of this build will be for deep learning and other heavy data intensive computing.

hmmm... that is a pretty intiresting setup, as you asked, games only load better on SSDs(in RAID 0 or not), I would put the OS on the PCIE SSD, cause if you put it on the 4 SSDs in RAID 0, you would have much greater chance of one of them failing and loosing your OS, maybe if you wouldn't put ANYTHING on there, no apps, nothing, maybe you wouldn't mind if you lost the OS, you could just install another copy of Windows

EDIT: I would put your most used data on the SSDs and OS on the PCIE SSD

The RAID 10 would be better, as you wouldn't lose your data if a drive dies.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

hmmm... that is a pretty intiresting setup, as you asked, games only load better on SSDs(in RAID 0 or not), I would put the OS on the PCIE SSD, cause if you put it on the 4 SSDs in RAID 0, you would have much greater chance of one of them failing and loosing your OS, maybe if you wouldn't put ANYTHING on there, no apps, nothing, maybe you wouldn't mind if you lost the OS, you could just install another copy of Windows

EDIT: I would put your most used data on the SSDs and OS on the PCIE SSD

So...

OS on PCI-E

Video games on raid 0

Data on probably raid 10 with 4 SSDs or raid 6 with 4 SSDs? Raid 10 will be better than raid 6 for everything, but storage right and slightly less reliable?

Raid 5 with 3 SSDs on applications? Since the applications will be primarily reading.

So...

OS on PCI-E

Video games on raid 0

Data on probably raid 10 with 4 SSDs or raid 6 with 4 SSDs? Raid 10 will be better than raid 6 for everything, but storage right and slightly less reliable?

Raid 5 with 3 SSDs on applications? Since the applications will be primarily reading.

You can go full balls to the walls and go RAID 0 on everything if you only want speed, but then of course, 1 drive fails, you loose all the data in the array, maybe you could use some HDDs in raid 1 or 5 or 6 or 10 for all of your data(not doing separate arrays for apps, games, data, etc.) and use like a 250, 500 GB or 1 TB SDD to cache it with some kind of software. I would still install the OS on the PCIE SSD anyways :D

Ok, I gotta ask two questions

1. Are you actually serious or are you just trolling?

2. If you actually are serious, are you looking to build a setup that actually works or are you just trying to blow as money as you possibly can for no other reason than to just blow money?

If you seriously intend to keep nothing other than the OS on the PCIe SSD, why on earth would you get a 800GB unit? Even a 400GB PCIe would be more than enough to hold your OS and all the applications that any one person could ever use.

Any modern SATA SSD will be more than fast enough for launching games. You will almost assuredly see absolutely zero difference in load times on games between being stored on a single SSD or on a RAID0 array. There is absolutely no reason to ever store games on RAID1. EVER. Period.

As far as data goes; depends what kind of data. If you're talking about movies, music and pictures - put them on a HDD. Keeping that stuff of an SSD is pointless. Keeping that sort of data on a RAID10 SSD array is just plain retarded. You will never need or even see the speed benefits, except for the one time that a file is written to the array.

If you are doing work on this machine and your data is video files for editing, THAT is what you should be keeping on the PCIe SSD, not your OS. You will see no real world benefit by having your OS on a NVME SSD.

In fact, the only that you should have in RAID is th only thing you haven't mentioned putting in RAID yet; your OS. Keep your OS and your apps on a pair of SSDs in RAID 1, your games on a single SSD, your media on a single HDD with an external backup and your working data on a NVME SSD.

Unless your goal really is jsu to figure out a way to blow $10,000 on SSDs.