Why 144Hz?

AstroBenny

I was just wondering why they made monitors capable of "144Hz" It seems a very specific number compared to 60Hz or 120Hz - is there a reason for this?

Secondly, why do some monitors include the option for 59Hz or 119Hz?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

144hz probably had something to do with 3D capability in the beginning.

Secondly, apparently you will have less input lag or something if you lock your fps to one frame below those two standards (60 and 120), or something like that. I'm probably using the completely wrong words (input lag).

It has to do with the way LEDs work.

Moved to Displays.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Moved to Displays.

Oops didn't see the displays sub-forum :P

It has to do with the way LEDs work.

Ah huh..

Ah huh..

Well, the LEDs in a monitor flash at say 60 times a second, or 60 Hz. This is what allows them to change what is on the screen. however, monitor producers are having issues getting all the LEDs to flash faster than 144 Hz.

Well, the LEDs in a monitor flash at say 60 times a second, or 60 Hz. This is what allows them to change what is on the screen. however, monitor producers are having issues getting all the LEDs to flash faster than 144 Hz.

Displays do not use LEDs in the pixels unless they're OLED.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Displays do not use LEDs in the pixels unless they're OLED.

Well, that is unless they are LED Monitors.

And alright then, explain to this man why 144 Hz is the max refresh rate off the top of your head.

Well, that is unless they are LED Monitors.

They're still not using LEDs in the pixels. The backlight is LED.

In regards to the refresh rate, my first guess would be that we simply do not have the means to achieve a higher refresh rate than 144 consistently. But it's just a guess.

Umm ok all of that is totally wrong :P

144Hz is a multiple of 24, the next one above 120. Movies run at 24fps, so 144Hz (as opposed to 143 or 145) makes them able to play movies back smoothly without inherent stuttering from a mismatched framerate and frequency.

The LED backlights in all modern LCD monitors may or may not flicker at high speed, depending on how the monitor manufacturer has chosen to implement brightness control. Monitors using an actual dimming circuit control brightness with voltage (called DC or direct current), and so they have no flickering at all. Other monitors use a technique called PWM, which is high-speed flickering, and modifying the percentage of on-time and off-time during each flicker (called the duty cycle) to change the overall light output. The PWM frequency is specific to each monitor, usually a multiple of the refresh rate for proper synchronization. 120Hz-180Hz is considered low frequency backlight on a 60Hz monitor and might lead to visible flickering, higher end monitors use 240Hz or above, even well into the KHz range.

They're still not using LEDs in the pixels. The backlight is LED.

In regards to the refresh rate, my first guess would be that we simply do not have the means to achieve a higher refresh rate than 144 consistently. But it's just a guess.

The refresh of the LED is what allows the LCD to change.

The refresh of the LED is what allows the LCD to change.

Not at all, LCDs changing is not tied to the backlight in any way. It's best practice to have them synchronized, but if you really wanted to you could have them refreshing out of sync, it would still work. LCDs don't even necessarily have to have a backlight at all. Their refresh operation isn't tied to it.

Not at all, LCDs changing is not tied to the backlight in any way. It's best practice to have them synchronized, but if you really wanted to you could have them refreshing out of sync, it would still work. LCDs don't even necessarily have to have a backlight at all. Their refresh operation isn't tied to it.

In modern (Computer) LCDs they may not be tied, but I was trying to explain it in the simplest terms that I could remember.

Sorry for not being even more clear.

It's the highest refresh rate Dual Link DVI (connection) can support at 1920x1080.

Dual Link DVI can do 1920x1200 @ 120hz or 1920x1080 @ 144hz

There is no other technical reason.

Obviously the number of users who would ditch DVI in favor of over 144hz simply isn't high enough to warrant producing monitors rated for over 144hz. Perhaps the monitors use DVI internally and to acheive over 144hz they would need more exotic control boards?

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

But how come if you're watching a video at 30fps on a 144Hz monitor you don't get stuttering? 30 doesn't divide into 144.?

144hz should be overkill right? Is it possible to see more than that?

But how come if you're watching a video at 30fps on a 144Hz monitor you don't get stuttering? 30 doesn't divide into 144.?

You do :) I'll be honest it's difficult to notice, especially on a high frequency monitor. The time between frames is very short so even when it stutters it's very small. So choosing a frequency that is a multiple of 24fps is more of a "might as well", since at least it has some theoretical advantage over any other random number nearby you might choose, even if it's difficult to actually notice the benefit.

You do :) I'll be honest it's difficult to notice, especially on a high frequency monitor. The time between frames is very short so even when it stutters it's very small. So choosing a frequency that is a multiple of 24fps is more of a "might as well", since at least it has some theoretical advantage over any other random number nearby you might choose, even if it's difficult to actually notice the benefit.

So when it comes to games, say you are playing at 120Hz and you are only getting about 100fps, some of those frames will be displayed more than once which is why you get stuttering when gaming?