Internet being horrible?

wqesad523w

So, I am on AT&T DSL 18Down/2Up. I am the only only one in a house of 3 which has this issue. I can never get that speed. Is this a problem with AT&T DSL or me? If needed I can post a speedtest.

I hope I don't have to contact their support :P

So, I am on AT&T DSL 18Down/2Up. I am the only only one in a house of 3 which has this issue. I can never get that speed. Is this a problem with AT&T DSL or me? If needed I can post a speedtest.

How are you connected to the router? Wifi or ethernet cable? What about the other 2 people? How are they connected?

How are you connected to the router? Wifi or ethernet cable? What about the other 2 people? How are they connected?

Wifi, I used to do ethernet but same problem. The other two are also with wifi.

its them

i have at&t dsl 6 megs down and 0.20 up

i get like 1/4th the speed they advertise on both ethernet and wifi

Hmm.. Looks like they abuse their "Up to" thing.

EDIT: Speedtest https://gyazo.com/3368287758ff1da6475db91eccb77f69

So to understand you correctly, you are in a house connected on the Local Area Network over wifi and your computer is the only one experiencing the weak speeds?

Have you confirmed using a web speed test that their machines are in fact hitting speeds significantly higher than yours?

If the above is all true than the fault lies within your machine. I'll wait for your response.

AT&T never gets you that full speed. I supposedly have 12 down but the max I can get out of a speed test is about 8.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

So to understand you correctly, you are in a house connected on the Local Area Network over wifi and your computer is the only one experiencing the weak speeds?

Have you confirmed using a web speed test that their machines are in fact hitting speeds significantly higher than yours?

If the above is all true than the fault lies within your machine. I'll wait for your response.

Speedtest on my machine is above you. Ill try and get one on one's laptop. Speedtest on laptop. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4905282585

What's ironic is that I just upgraded to AT&T DSL via Ethernet (usually faster) and I hit speeds of 158 Mbps download and 123 Mbps upload. :/

Roses are red, violets are blue. I enjoy foruming on LinusTechTips too!

Speedtest on my machine is above you. Ill try and get one on one's laptop. Speedtest on laptop. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4905282585

Ok, well it's definitely your machine then or merely compatibility issue (rare, but I've seen it) between computer and router.

Have you speed tested your machine from a different modem? Same speed issues? This might help conclude whether it's a compatibility issue or something exclusive to your machine.

Honestly to me it sounds like something on your machine is eating up bandwidth, that or you've got some driver issues. Be sure your machine is free of virus', malware, be sure to a blank browser (no plugins enabled or installed, except flash you'll probably need for the test). If you do all that and same speed issues I'd suggest installing a software level firewall temporarily and block every network communication except the browser you are using to do the speed test. If you go this route and the speeds are still the same then I'm guessing you need driver updates, or you'll have to write it off as a compatibility issue (testing on another modem would be an easy way to see if this is the issue). A really simple, straight forward and lightweight firewall that is free is http://tinywall.pados.hu/.

Just to be sure as well, reset your modem (assuming it's a hybrid modem/router) to stock. No traffic shaping, no port forwarding, natta. Keep everything blank and stock for the tests.

Ok, well it's definitely your machine then or merely compatibility issue (rare, but I've seen it) between computer and router.

Have you speed tested your machine from a different modem? Same speed issues? This might help conclude whether it's a compatibility issue or something exclusive to your machine.

Honestly to me it sounds like something on your machine is eating up bandwidth, that or you've got some driver issues. Be sure your machine is free of virus', malware, be sure to a blank browser (no plugins enabled or installed, except flash you'll probably need for the test). If you do all that and same speed issues I'd suggest installing a software level firewall temporarily and block every network communication except the browser you are using to do the speed test. If you go this route and the speeds are still the same then I'm guessing you need driver updates, or you'll have to write it off as a compatibility issue (testing on another modem would be an easy way to see if this is the issue). A really simple, straight forward and lightweight firewall that is free is http://tinywall.pados.hu/.

Just to be sure as well, reset your modem (assuming it's a hybrid modem/router) to stock. No traffic shaping, no port forwarding, natta. Keep everything blank and stock for the tests.

We switched from non U-Verse To U Verse. I only had disconnection problems which cleared up when I got a new network card. I have had it at 21-2 before. But that however was random. I will try that tomorrow. Have a killer headache today.

We switched from non U-Verse To U Verse. I only had disconnection problems which cleared up when I got a new network card. I have had it at 21-2 before. But that however was random. I will try that tomorrow. Have a killer headache today.

I'm unfamiliar with what U-verse is. If you got 21-2 before it does sound like the issue is exclusive to your machine. Get some sleep, it destroys head aches quick, as does drinking lots of water :D