360 degree monitors

Unslain_Gamer

I've always wondered, So you have people using triple monitors gaming. Would it be possible to do a series of maybe 12 monitors in a circular loop around a desk with an almost 360 degree gameplay, So simply looking around will give you different angles without having to go into virtual headsets. So if you turn around 180, your seeing whats behind your character at that given time (3d person you'd see front of person looking back). Of course it would mean ingame everything would have to render in a 360 degree angle around the player with multiple view camera points.

My question is, is it possible, would any games even be able to even attempt this?

---

On another note, imagine a room with walls as a solid screen, 360 gaming would be rather interesting don't you think. 

hahahah.....how do you plan to see behind you while you look in front?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Spin a chair 180 :D idk. Maybe turn your head left and right to see whats beside you without touching a mouse :D

More practical would be higher res monitors and more of them instead of spinning around your chair. Also I don't see why you would need 12 monitors around you instead of one mounted above each other

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Look up 'Gadget Show BF3' and see what they do on there for the screen, its the closest thing I can think of as to what you want.

(I would put a link but for some reason its not letting my copy anything into this text box)

You can, it already exists.

Of course, you'll need a crap tone of projectors especially if you want to include top view, and crazy GPU power, and a game that supports properly it all.

Here is a half a dome (look like 42 projectors):

air_force_dome.jpg

(You have technologies from companies that uses software and hardware solutions to morph, scale, cut, the content being displayed by each projector to hide the overlay of each projectors, and adjust the image.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y-uisqHdks&t=0m10s

(heumm... the first part where you see the projector calibrate.. notice the third one being really incorrectly positioned, but end up correct after calibration. Pretty crazy stuff. And yes that is all real. I have seen it on a 6 projector setups with a curved displayed. Sadly, I can't quickly find a video showcasing this. But imagine the dome above doing the same kind of patterns as the video linked and boom! perfect image)