Unexpected Shutdown No Errors?

yhmarvin

PC Specs

Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU: Intel 4790K   (BX80646I74790K)

RAM: DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury 2133mhz 16gb (2x8)

GPU: Asus R9 290X DirectCU II OC   (R9290X-DC2OC-4GD5)

PSU: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX   (SS-660XP2)

SSD: Samsung EVO 250GB   (MZ-75E250B/AM)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm SATA3 64mb Cache   (ST2000DM001)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe (PH-ES614L_BK)

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GT 280mm   (CW-9060019-WW)

Programs that are always active:

Corsair Link

Corsair CUE

Firefox(5-6 tabs) + Youtube

League of Legends(but I close this if I open a different game e.g. Sleeping Dogs)

(Yes All Drivers are up to date, checked multiple of times)

Other misc stuff that uses my PC power:

Sennheiser HD600 Headphones

ModMic 4.0

Sensei Wireless Gaming Mouse

Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard

Room Temp is average, it's winter.

Fan Setup:

The CPU Cooler is under the top of the case, with 2 Noctua NF-A14 140mm Fans beneath it, in a Push configuration(pushing air out). I used one of the 140mm Corsair Fans that came with the cooler and stuck it at the bottom of the case, after I removed the PSU Case Cover and some unused HDD drive trays and is pulling air in. The front of the case just has a regular 200mm Phanteks Case Fan pulling air in. I don't have any fans available to put at the back of the case so it's just empty there atm. The PSU is facing down, intaking air and pushing air back out through the back.

My PC sometimes just shuts down for no reason. When I start it back up, there are no errors available. I check the Event Viewer that Windows has and all it says is unexpected shutdown. I would assume it might be an overheating issue? But I don't know much knowledge on this to make such a guess. The only reason I think that might the problem is because it happens when I have many processes running, AKA videos, games, other random programs Skype Calls and such. But when I use HWMonitor for Temp readings, it says 58C on my CPU and 62C on my GPU. So that doesn't really help me much with trying to support an overheating assumption. But could it be my power supply? HWMonitor can't display any Temp readings on my PSU so maybe? Is my power supply good enough(is 660W enough)? Could my Mobo have errors?

TL:DR; I think my PC shutsdown due to overheating, but HWMonitor disagrees.

run without the GPU and see if the system still shut downs

how old is the PSU?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

run without the GPU and see if the system still shut downs

how old is the PSU?

I forgot to mention, all my parts were bought this year. March 2015, so everything is about 9 months.

Is my GPU a problem?

I forgot to mention, all my parts were bought this year. March 2015, so everything is about 9 months.

Is my GPU a problem?

during high GPU load when it draws a lot of power

the current protection on the PSU will cut off and cause the sudden power lost

if you are OCed

revert back to stock clocks and test the system again

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

during high GPU load when it draws a lot of power

the current protection on the PSU will cut off and cause the sudden power lost

if you are OCed

revert back to stock clocks and test the system again

Oh I see, though I haven't OC'd anything

Oh I see, though I haven't OC'd anything

Try with AIDA64 and stress the CPU and see the temps and see if the system crashes again

Try with AIDA64 and stress the CPU and see the temps and see if the system crashes again

How do I stress test with AIDA64 Extreme?

Tools>System Stability Test?

I figured out how to stress test, ATM I have checked the boxes, Stress CPU, FPU, cache, system memory.

Should I also check the boxes for Local Disks and GPU as well?

and Also how long should I run it for?

so far It's at 70-80C for my CPU at 100% Load (stress test)(w/ HWMonitor)

I know these temps are high (I think?) but when my PC shuts down it doesn't usually take very long for something to trigger it to shut down immediately (I was sure that this test would probably cause that to happen in under 2 minutes). And my CPU never hits 100% load before the unexpected shutdown would occur because my fans don't rev hard at all when it does happen. They rev harder than ever during the stress test, than how I would normally use my computer. I know the temps would probably keep ramping up, due to the fact that I'm missing a case fan from the back of my case atm. But there must be something else I'm missing that's not triggering the shut down to happen right now.

f8N1iLv.png

XHo903n.png

I know these temps are high (I think?) but when my PC shuts down it doesn't usually take very long for something to trigger it to shut down immediately (I was sure that this test would probably cause that to happen in under 2 minutes). And my CPU never hits 100% load before the unexpected shutdown would occur because my fans don't rev hard at all when it does happen. They rev harder than ever during the stress test, than how I would normally use my computer. I know the temps would probably keep ramping up, due to the fact that I'm missing a case fan from the back of my case atm. But there must be something else I'm missing that's not triggering the shut down to happen right now.

something is odd

you are watercooling but the temps are way too high

will suggest to check your mounting of the block

There must be something wrong with how my computer is detecting my Case fans atm. Because This program is not displaying my fans properly. I have my 2 Noctua fans plugs properly into the two h110igt fan cables. I plugged their "dummy cable", that sends the fan speed readings, into the CPU_Fan header on the mobo. The 200mm fan at the front of my case, is plugged into this fan hub that phanteks had at the back of the case and that fan huub is connected to the CPU_OPT header on the mobo. and the corsair fan at the bottom of the case beside the PSU is connected to CHA_FAN4. And yet the machine only properly displays the corsair fans. and nothing else. Even though the CPU_FAN reading in the program says 2300rpm, it is not running at 2300rpm. It's running atm quietly just like the corsair fan.

Edit: The Sata cable is connected properly as well to provide power for the h110i gt. Can it be that noctua fans(NF-A14 iPPC PWM 2000rpm) isn't compatible?? I already RMA'd these noctua fans, cuz the initial ones they sent me were duds.

5wqfPs3.png

something is odd

I'm starting to think the high Temps on CPU is due to my 2 Noctua fans. Do you know if I could plug my two Noctua Fans Directly into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT (instead of connecting them to the H110i gt Fan Cables)?

I'm starting to think the high Temps on CPU is due to my 2 Noctua fans. Do you know if I could plug my two Noctua Fans Directly into CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT (instead of connecting them to the H110i gt Fan Cables)?

the block should be using cpu fan while the fans ust cpu opt

something is odd

After I followed corsair's instructions and pluged my noctua fans into the CPU_Fan header, my fan is not spinning at all. It spins a bit then stops, same with my 2nd noctua fan that's plugged into the CPU_OPT header. Does that mean my fans are having problems, or is it my mobo?

Edit: I am able to start my PC without the fans working properly, But I think that's because the water pump on the h110i gt works, which is keeping my cpu "cool"

After I followed corsair's instructions and pluged my noctua fans into the CPU_Fan header, my fan is not spinning at all. It spins a bit then stops, same with my 2nd noctua fan that's plugged into the CPU_OPT header. Does that mean my fans are having problems, or is it my mobo?

check in the mobo BIOS

it should be an option to control the fans

if they are 3 pins, you can only use voltage to control them

4 pins have an extra signal wore to control the speed

make sure the CPU pump is running at max speed

check in the mobo BIOS

it should be an option to control the fans

if they are 3 pins, you can only use voltage to control them

4 pins have an extra signal wore to control the speed

make sure the CPU pump is running at max speed

Ok, after I entered the BIOS

I was able to change some Fan settings

CPU_Fan + CHA_Fans (1-4):

Changed it from DC Mode to PWM Mode

Changed "Fan Speed Low Limit" from 300rpm minimum to 500rpm

All Fan Profiles: Standard

The Temperature sensor that the fans use, are all set to the CPU temp.

This is what happens when I use the corsair fan to test all the Mobo Headers:

CPU_Fan: the Fan would constantly run at a low speed

CHA_FAN(1-3): It would start up fast, then slow down to an Average speed. Once Desktop loads up, the Fan Revs to full speed.

CHA_FAN4: (originally, this header was working before I took the corsair fan off from this header) Now, The corsair fan just starts up fast, then Average, then stops spinning during desktop. (This happens to CPU_Fan + CPU_OPT when I use my noctua fans to test this headers.)

Edit: All my fans are PWM, 4 pin fans.

Also I tested all my fans with the Corsair fan cables that are attached to the H110i GT, they all had the same result:

Starts up fast(during PC startup), Then calms down to Average speed and stays that way once desktop has loaded.

Ok, after I entered the BIOS

I was able to change some Fan settings

CPU_Fan + CHA_Fans (1-4):

Changed it from DC Mode to PWM Mode

Changed "Fan Speed Low Limit" from 300rpm minimum to 500rpm

All Fan Profiles: Standard

The Temperature sensor that the fans use, are all set to the CPU temp.

This is what happens when I use the corsair fan to test all the Mobo Headers:

CPU_Fan: the Fan would constantly run at a low speed

CHA_FAN(1-3): It would start up fast, then slow down to an Average speed. Once Desktop loads up, the Fan Revs to full speed.

CHA_FAN4: (originally, this header was working before I took the corsair fan off from this header) Now, The corsair fan just starts up fast, then Average, then stops spinning during desktop. (This happens to CPU_Fan + CPU_OPT when I use my noctua fans to test this headers.)

Edit: All my fans are PWM, 4 pin fans.

Also I tested all my fans with the Corsair fan cables that are attached to the H110i GT, they all had the same result:

Starts up fast(during PC startup), Then calms down to Average speed and stays that way once desktop has loaded.

CPU FAN should be set to run 100% all the way since you are using a pump

other fans sounds normal to me

set them again

then watch the temps

CPU FAN should be set to run 100% all the way since you are using a pump

other fans sounds normal to me

set them again

then watch the temps

But when I try to plug any fan, into the CPU_Fan header, They just stop spinning once the Desktop Loads Up.

Isn't that a problem? 0 rpm during Desktop.

How can I change this and make the fan run at max.

If I plug any two fans, into the h110i's cables, and then plug the h110i gt cable into the CPU_Fan. my Computer states it's running at 2300 rpm, but my Fan's aren't anywhere close to 2000rpm at all. Maybe like 700rpm from the sounds of it.

But when I try to plug any fan, into the CPU_Fan header, They just stop spinning once the Desktop Loads Up.

Isn't that a problem? 0 rpm during Desktop.

How can I change this and make the fan run at max.

it should not do that

did you install the USB cable for the pump?

you might need to download the Corsair link program

http://www.corsair.com/en/support/downloads

it should not do that

did you install the USB cable for the pump?

you might need to download the Corsair link program

http://www.corsair.com/en/support/downloads

I'm having another thought, as to the cause of this problem.

After thinking hard about all these things, I'm having a feeling that Asus Suite 3's Fan Xpert 3, is the cause of my problem. All fans rev up normally during start up and then errors occur after desktop loads. Which is when all my start up programs all finish loading.

Maybe? So now, is there a way I can reset AI Suite 3, or does uninstalling AI Suite 3, pretty much set everything back to normal?

I'm having another thought, as to the cause of this problem.

After thinking hard about all these things, I'm having a feeling that Asus Suite 3's Fan Xpert 3, is the cause of my problem. All fans rev up normally during start up and then errors occur after desktop loads. Which is when all my start up programs all finish loading.

Maybe? So now, is there a way I can reset AI Suite 3, or does uninstalling AI Suite 3, pretty much set everything back to normal?

yes reinstall the program

use corsair link to control the pump and fans

O.M.G. you know what..

I uninstalled Asus Suite 3 and all of it's components. Then I ran this Cleaner.exe program from this forum "https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34503-AI-Suite-III-Cleaner"

ALL my fans, well just CHA_FAN(3+4) & CPU_FAN & CPU_OPT starting working NORMALLY AGAIN. The fans are now working fine and the speeds that they run at all obey how my BIOS settings has set them to be. I haven't tested, CHA_FAN(1+2) but I would assume that they are working normally again as well. 

*my hands are getting red from my screwdriver because of all the screwing and unscrewing of the fans*

Soft Solution: GET RID OF ASUS SUITE 3 + all components.

I will use my computer as normal and see if it shuts down again during the next few weeks. (But this should have fixed it though. And I guess we can now assume that the cause of the random shutdowns were due to the Overheating of my CPU or computer as a whole)

(I thought my other corsair fan was broken but it isn't since it was Asus suite 3's fault. Now I have a fan on the back of my PC again.)

=D Thanks for your help guys!

• 3 weeks later...

Although I solved the Case Fan issues with the Mobo, it still has random shutdowns at loads(Not a temperature problem then). So I'm going back to the PSU to review this problem.

I thought about it for a bit and my PSU could be the problem. PSUs are designed to immediately shutdown if it cannot handle the wattage the PC demands from it. My PC doesn't shutdown unless I somewhat put it under load. Which could mean that my PSU is just borderline from the amount of watts my PC needs. So if my PC starts demanding more watts once under load, that could trip the peak watts the PSU can handle which can cause shutdowns to occur. This would also explain why I don't get any error messages after starting up from shutdowns.

Should I get a new PSU then? If So, should I get a 760w or 860w(cause I really like seasonic's platinum series)? The current one my PC is using is 660w.