Small RAD in the back section of my case...

So I've finally got round to adding some more rads to my Corsair Air 240. I just had a 240 rad in push pull in the front, but thought I'd need more with my GTX970 being watercooled and my 4790k being overclocked to 4.6ghz.

post-179101-0-91345000-1449737806.jpg

Single rad in push/pull.

After starting a thread a while back about whether adding a slim rad was a good idea, but it meant losing the push pull on the front, decided that bigger volume was going to be better. So squeezed this on the floor of my case.

post-179101-0-19998900-1449737933.jpg

Rad added to the floor, 2 x 80mm fans added also as my VRM was getting way hot!!

I then realised there's a 120mm fan cutout in the rear panel, why not try and squeeze in an extra small rad in the back,. However, I ordered a nice thick EK Rad and now there is very little space around this rad and fan combo. 

post-179101-0-05663200-1449738091.jpgpost-179101-0-26387300-1449738097_thumb.

Is this rad actually worth keeping do we think?? Is it doing any extra cooling rammed in the rear?? 

PS, Yes I am using Dr Pepper as a cooling fluid, what's the worst that could happen??

"Small one in the rear"

Thought I better change it... Def a Linus style joke though??

-SNIP-

Every single last inch of space  :D

I would say now that you have it together to leave it, it's more than needed for a single CPU and GPU but never hurts. 

PS, Yes I am using Dr Pepper as a cooling fluid, what's the worst that could happen??

pump failure, MASSIVE amounts of corrosion, blockages, pressure buildup, 

please get some distilled water with corrosion protection or a premixed fluid before you ruin your pc!

on topic: I'd say it probably wouldn't be worth it but since it is already there I'd leave it.  I'm running a 4790k (4.8ghz) and 980 (1500mhz) and I had a 280, 240slim, and 120 and I just changed to a 280, 240thick and got rid of the 120.  Temps seem to be about the sameish although its hard for me to tell since I changed several other cooling aspects at the same time.  I'm not missing the 120 at all though

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Wait what! :o

The fluid is actually Dr. Pepper i thought that was a joke, if it is get rid of that and clean out your loop, it's going to be bad for the copper or nickel in the blocks.

It's Mayhems X1 - Oil Black Concentrate in distilled water, just looks "fizzy" atm due to only being running for like 3 hours in these pics. 

It's Mayhems X1 - Oil Black Concentrate in distilled water, just looks "fizzy" atm due to only being running for like 3 hours in these pics.

you scared the #$@& outta me son

That looks like straight dp

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Can that small radiator breathe where it is?

Sure, you have ventilation in the side panel but I can't see what's behind that small rad.

That said. The extra radiator space and the other rads in the loop likely compensate for whatever "hot" air could get trapped in the second chamber.

Still, gotta admit, that is one beastly Air240 setup. Very nice.

I'd say keep the small rad in. But also keep an eye on your PSU for the next couple days.

Assuming it's one with a fanless mode, see if it spins up at odd times or more often than before.

If not, you're golden.

---

I don't think it can breathe, that's my only kinda worry. I might dremel through the case, it would then blow out into the bottom half of the front section, where all the main air flow should be going up and towards the 2 x 80mm rear exhaust fans. There's a few cable management grommets that would allow air through as well.. i may have to take them out...

Monitoring the fan on the psu is a genius idea for rear temps. I'll just keep an eye on that for now. It's got Corsair Link so can have a display on my desktop of temps :) 

I might dremel through the case, it would then blow out into the bottom half of the front section, where all the main air flow should be going up and towards the 2 x 80mm rear exhaust fans.There's a few cable management grommets that would allow air through as well.. i may have to take them out...

That case mod might be warranted if you want to get the most out of all your radiator space.

But yeah, it all depends on what's actually happening to the temps in the second chamber.

Let us know how things went.

I'm curious to see how this setup on an Air240 plays out.

---