144hz on a GTX 675MX - how?

irWololo

Hello LTT forum :)

I'll make it short;

I got my little brother a BenQ XL2411Z as a christmas present, since he plays a lot of CS:GO and other FPS games and would benefit of the 144hz on the monitor. 
Atm he is using a laptop made by a danish dealer(MM-vision). The GPU in this machine is the GTX 675MX. I wanted to be sure that the monitor would run 144hz of his computer, however, I haven't been succesful so far. 

To test this setup I've been using a DVI-D dual link cable connecting one end to the DVI-I dual link port on the back of his PC and the other end to the back of the screen. Using this configuration I haven't been able to choose the 144hz option in the screen configuration window in windows nor in the Geforce Controlpanel. I tried using an HDMI cable instead, same problem. The last thing I haven't tried is using the display port on my brothers PC, since I don't have a display port cable. However, the monitor doesn't support display port so I would have to get a display port to DVI dual link cable, if I wanted to use the display port on the computer. Is this the way to go?

Do you have any other possible solutions or does his GPU simply not support 144hz?

All help is greatly appreciated!

I'll make it short;

I got my little brother a BenQ XL2411Z as a christmas present, since he plays a lot of CS:GO and other FPS games and would benefit of the 144hz on the monitor. 

Atm he is using a laptop made by a danish dealer(MM-vision). The GPU in this machine is the GTX 675MX. I wanted to be sure that the monitor would run 144hz of his computer, however, I haven't been succesful so far. 

To test this setup I've been using a DVI-D dual link cable connecting one end to the DVI-I dual link port on the back of his PC and the other end to the back of the screen. Using this configuration I haven't been able to choose the 144hz option in the screen configuration window in windows nor in the Geforce Controlpanel. I tried using an HDMI cable instead, same problem. The last thing I haven't tried is using the display port on my brothers PC, since I don't have a display port cable. However, the monitor doesn't support display port so I would have to get a display port to DVI dual link cable, if I wanted to use the display port on the computer. Is this the way to go?

Do you have any other possible solutions or does his GPU simply not support 144hz?

Are you using the DVI cable that came with the monitor? My VG248QE won't work at 144Hz with any other dual link cables except the one in the box.

HDMI can't run 144Hz at all. Only newer HDMI 2.0 can.

DisplayPort can run it, but I'm not sure if an adapter will work. You will have to try. 

I'll make it short;

Try setting 144Hz as a custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel.

A DisplayPort to DVI cable will not work, you will need an expensive signal converter. DisplayPort (and HDMI for that matter) only adapt to Single-Link DVI, all simple DisplayPort/HDMI-to-Dual Link DVI cables you see are fake, and will only act as single link adapters, not dual-link.

Thanks to both of you, I won't be getting a DiplayPort to DVI cable then. 
I'll try the custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel when I get home from work today. 

Is it possible, that the GPU simply doesn't support 144hz?