21:9 1080p vs 16:9 1440p Monitor

ImBleu

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor.

Anything around the $450 region, can go over or under depending on what's good.

Currently looking between the 29'' LG 29UB67-B and the 25'' Dell U2515H. I'll be using this for primarly web browsing / content consumption and my work using the adobe cs6 creative suite (Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver). I will came occasionally on it but sRGB & IPS are way more compelling to me than 144Hz TN panels.

Powered by an i7-4790k with a GTX980.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I personally own the LG 29UB55-B (very close to the LG 29UB67) and I absolutely love it. Great stand, joystick is much easier to use than buttons for OSD, colors are great, overclocked to 65Hz well (haven't tried farther yet). The only complaint I have is pretty negligible which is the anti-glare coating. I've used glossy screens for awhile (run two Dell S2340M along side right now) and so I'm used to the fantastic near black blacks, the anti-glare coating takes away some of that at times but nothing to really complain about. The anti-glare coating is actually some of the best I've ever seen, it's rather the nature of how anti-glare works that produces this kinda grainy black.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I'd probably go with the 16:9 1440p.

But why? The difference between 1080p and 1440p at the distance is rather minimal (imho) and part of me thinks I'd benefit more from 21:9.

I personally own the LG 29UB55-B (very close to the LG 29UB67) and I absolutely love it. Great stand, joystick is much easier to use than buttons for OSD, colors are great, overclocked to 65Hz well (haven't tried farther yet). The only complaint I have is pretty negligible which is the anti-glare coating. I've used glossy screens for awhile (run two Dell S2340M along side right now) and so I'm used to the fantastic near black blacks, the anti-glare coating takes away some of that at times but nothing to really complain about. The anti-glare coating is actually some of the best I've ever seen, it's rather the nature of how anti-glare works that produces this kinda grainy black.

Other than the anti-glare, any other gripes about the monitor (form factor more specifically?)

Thanks

Well both monitors are sRGB 99% and IPS... And since you say you're going to be using it for browsing and work, you will probably want the monitor that has the most desktop space, and that's the 1440p monitor. (3686400 pixels for the Dell vs 2764800 pixels for the LG)

It also has the advantage of being 16:9, so you won't have huge black bars on the side as you would with the 21:9 monitor, if you watch a video on it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Well both monitors are sRGB 99% and IPS... And since you say you're going to be using it for browsing and work, you will probably want the monitor that has the most desktop space, and that's the 1440p monitor. (3686400 pixels for the Dell vs 2764800 pixels for the LG)

It also has the advantage of being 16:9, so you won't have huge black bars on the side as you would with the 21:9 monitor, if you watch a video on it.

never looked at it that way to be honest. I have 2 1440p Laptops (Surface Pro 3, Macbook 2015) and never really considered the extra real estate. I came from 2 monitors so thats why my fad with wanting a 21:9 started. I also thought the idea of plugging my PS4/XBO and PC into the monitor to display side-by-side was quite a (niche) cool idea.

But why? The difference between 1080p and 1440p at the distance is rather minimal (imho) and part of me thinks I'd benefit more from 21:9.

Other than the anti-glare, any other gripes about the monitor (form factor more specifically?)

Thanks

The form factor is the same height as a 23" 1080p which is nice to put a 23" on either side, this also means 16:9 content will just center on the screen with black bars and be essentially a 23". Some times you do wish you had more vertical height like a 34" 3440x1440 ultra-wide.

It is pretty amazing for gaming, even by itself but put one 23" 1080p IPS on either side and it's the best surround setup you can have IMO. Your front view is all there on one screen and then just the sides are peripheral vision. Most surround setups have issues with the image bending at the bezels. So what should be right in front of you is off the side a bit, ie: your in a car and the pillars are out on the side screens not in front of you.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

16:9 1440. The reason? Moar pixels.

I can see how 21:9 could be appealing for gaming and stuff, but for, well, pretty much everything else, the extra vertical pixels in 1440 are just so much better; you get more reading space, more room for multiple windows, just overall a larger working space, and you still get the same horizontal pixel count (same width) as the 21:9 1080p monitor. So yeah, 1440p for me.

Also, a 25" 16:9 monitor is actually physically larger than a 29" 21:9 as well, as the guy above explains.

Wrong

Take the 21:9 monitor, it's a lot better experience.
There's no great difference between the resolutions of the monitors.

Wrong. Wanna see the difference? Here's the difference:

post-28939-0-80814800-1449708899_thumb.p

post-28939-0-62384900-1449708913_thumb.p

This is what my browser window was shrunk down to

post-28939-0-26858800-1449708930_thumb.p

Doesn't get any clearer than that. Same width as the ultrawide, but significantly more vertical space to work with. Now think of all that extra space in your work program of choice.