Dose a hard drive that Is not being used go to sleep if it is not being used after a specific amount of time?

Dose a hard drive that Is not being used go to sleep if it is not being used after a specific amount of time, or do I have to configure something in the setting. I want to buy a hard drive to back up my data and I will not need it to be running all of time. 

Dose a hard drive that Is not being used go to sleep if it is not being used after a specific amount of time, or do I have to configure something in the setting. I want to buy a hard drive to back up my data and I will not need it to be running all of time. 

It automatically goes to sleep if not being used.

As long as you don't have any programs running off it, it won't run constantly. 

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

10 minutes

If you install kali linux on a USB hard drive then run the disks application, it shows you the status and how long it takes for it to sleep.

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"