My laptop specs:

Make: HP
Model: HP Elitebook 820 G2
CPU: i5 5200U
GPU: Intel HD 5500
RAM: 4GB
Current OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Old OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

My problem is that my battery, Wi-Fi and volume icons don't appear in the task tray (on the right hand side of the taskbar). The ultrabook is a couple of months old and has always had this issue. It came installed with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on it and from the moment I've had it I've been trying to fix this.

First I went to the control panel and found "Turn System Icons On or Off" and I could see the power, volume and network drop down menus there. They were how all turned off and greyed out which didn't allow me to turn them on.

The first method I tried can be found here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19085-system-icons...
It didn't work even going through the many different fixes on that page.
I also looked at this with no avail: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fix-for-wh...
On all of these posts (the two linked above and others I've looked at), all the people have said that their issues were fixed.

The only other thought I had was to upgrade to windows 10 (free upgrade). I did this and I'm now on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. The issues still persists and I've once again looked up how to fix the issue in Windows 10 and also used the previous Windows 7 fixes but nothing came to.

At this point I had put a sizeable number of hours into this small problem (but important to fix as I'm constantly moving around all the time) so I decided to contact Microsoft. After explaining my issue they tried to fix it using power shell and other methods that I'd already tried. They were clueless on how to fix this problem and after the 3rd or 4th time contacting Microsoft support they were trying to sell me some assure thing which would "guarantee" a fix. I din't take this but now I'm looking for help from anyone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, George.

This requires a Reset, not a factory reset, just a 'refresher'. This is caused by downloading something with malware in it. For starters, go ahead to control panel and go under Uninstall a Program. Find ANY program that you haven't installed that looks like malware.

Roses are red, violets are blue. I enjoy foruming on LinusTechTips too!