nvidia drivers incresse vram usage?

Pandora

so i was playing battlefront the other day and i updated my nvidia driver without really thinking about it and went back to play and i noticed that my game was stuttering and basicly unplayable. i had balanced my settings so i would stay under the 3.5 gig cap and usualy floated around 3.3 gigs. i didnt really think about my driver and assumed it was some sort of connection issue because i did get bad connection issues every so often. so after talking to ea's (supprisingly helpful and understanding) customer support which didnt help me at all i went to check my overclocks and i noticed that my vram usage was at 3.98 gigs.

i was very confused i had not touched my settings. i log into battle front and turn down every setting even resolution to its lowest setting. 3.7gigs of vram now.

eventually i rolled back my drivers and hey what do you know i am sitting comfortably where i once was at 3.3 gigs of vram usage.

sorry for the long story but i was wondering if anyone was having similar issues. i wouldnt put it past nvidia to obsolete one of there gpu's for dem profits. 

i am currently on driver 358.91

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

3.3GB of VRAM usage???????????? What resolution are you playing at??

I use 2.5GB at MOST, that's high/ultra settings @ 1080p.

I used to be quite active here.

3.3GB of VRAM usage???????????? What resolution are you playing at??

I use 2.5GB at MOST, that's high/ultra settings @ 1080p.

1440p 120hz sli 970's

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

Makes sense.

i very much regret my purchases.... at the time i believed that they were basicly just nerfed 980s

i very much regret my purchases.... at the time i believed that they were basicly just nerfed 980s

Well that is still true, just they way they were nerfed is not what you expected  :P

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well that is still true, just they way they were nerfed is not what you expected   :P

TT_TT

well they are. just nerfed vram too much lol. i OC my 970 to preform better than some 980s

well they are. just nerfed vram too much lol. i OC my 970 to preform better than some 980s

oh same mine are at 1550 on the core. i water cooled them and im very proud of them but the fact remains.

i was hoping someone else with a 970 could test to see if their vram usage increases 

I could but not with battlefront

could you test to see if it happens with any games at all?

could you test to see if it happens with any games at all?

It went up to 3.564 in shadow of mordor......which is more than normal (I think 3.3ish was what it would go to before so  :huh: )

Edit: I've reverted btw, and I confirmed with my settings 3.344 was what it used

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

It went up to 3.564 in shadow of mordor......which is more than normal (I think 3.3ish was what it would go to before so  :huh: )

thanks nvidia. thanks for making me regret my purchase and putting my trust in you. 

thanks nvidia. thanks for making me regret my purchase and putting my trust in you. 

Eh the 359 drivers have other issues as well hopefully it goes away with the next, does battlefront need one of the most recent drivers (359.06)?

Nevermind the last part, as I just realized you can't notice a difference if it did.