Will an i5-2500 bottleneck an MSI GTX 970?

unknownindividual

Someting like a i5 4460 is ok for the 970, however im not sure for the i5 2500...

Probably depends on the game. I think it'd be close but it wouldn't be much worse than a FX 6300

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Maybe a little bit. As the user stated above me, it depends on the game.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Probably depends on the game. I think it'd be close but it wouldn't be much worse than a FX 6300

I5 2500 is far superior  to the fx 6300. 

I5 2500 is far superior  to the fx 6300. 

Most workloads, sure, but sometimes the 6300 can beat it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

No you´ll be fine it is after all in Ivy i5 there´s no such thing as a bottleneck with a single GTX970.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Most workloads, sure, but sometimes the 6300 can beat it.

In what? Definitely not gaming.

In what? Definitely not gaming.

You're right. Not gaming, but in 7-Zip, it beats the 3570K: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/57615-amd-vishera-fx-6300-fx-4300-review-7.html

Yes it will in CPU intensive games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, GTA V, etc.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Yes it will in CPU intensive games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, GTA V, etc.

I mostly play GTA v so would it be bad?

It will bottleneck it, but it shouldn't be unplayable. Bottlenecking means your 970 won't be at it's max potential, but there are varying degrees of that.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

It would probably bottleneck 970 up to ~20%, assuming 1080p and depending on your settings and what's going on in the game. Bad means different things for different people. The game would definitely be playable, but you will drop below 60 and you'll sometimes have microstuttering.

https://youtu.be/WZ_5p9wd2dk?t=57s

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

It will bottleneck it, but it shouldn't be unplayable. Bottlenecking means your 970 won't be at it's max potential, but there are varying degrees of that.

What about an i7-3770?

What about an i7-3770?

Won't bottleneck it.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

What about an i7-3770?

It will, but less. The thing is, there'll always be a bottleneck somewhere. You won't get infinite performance. The question is if you'll be satisfied when one of your components reach their full potential. Take a look at this and pay attention to frame time as well, not just framerate: 

Imo 3770 is a good match for the 970, but better CPUs would of course give you better performance in CPU-bound scenarios. 

No it will not.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

i run a i5 2500k at 4.6 ghz and i have tested it with sli 970's for fun and i have seen no real bottlenecking.  but on my i5 750 at 4.0ghz it bottle necked like crazy

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

I've seen from many benchmarks the 970 in the I5-2500K loses about 10 solid frames in the most demanding games compared to the top dog chips in future gens.

It shocks me to say that even though the new CPU's are not leaps and bounds ahead of the I5/I7 from 2011 they tend to make somewhat of a difference but not enough one to dump your whole setup and start over. It's not like going from the Core2Quad to the I5/I7 was...I miss those big leaps....

Like this....

Pentium 4 --- Core2Duo or Quad = awesome upgrade. Keep for awhile.

Core2Quad  --- I5-2500K or I7-2600K = awesome upgrade. Keep for awhile.

I have nothing else to compare that is like this... and it's been a good amount of time for Intel to have this leap, but they don't.

The only chip that I've seen and been impressed with overall was Devil's Canyon but it was fairly expensive.

If I went by the Intel numbers, I'd have thought Skylake was the next upgrade being called the 6700K and all, but it turns out that no, it's not like a 40% or higher chip. There are other improvements on the new motherboards but most of the upgrades I don't give a hoot about and most of the boards I've looked at lack all the features my current Asus Deluxe board has that I like.

I don't care at all about SLI yet all the boards that are any good have them. I also want Esata and most boards don't have them anymore and USB 2.0 is much slower than that and my external drive is much faster running off esata. It's not a USB 3.0 interface so that's that.

I still want PCI slots.... at least 1.

No it will not.

Care to elaborate? The video above clearly illustrates that, even with the most powerful GPU on the market, your CPU still has an impact on framerate.

Care to elaborate? The video above clearly illustrates that, even with the most powerful GPU on the market, your CPU still has an impact on framerate.

99%GPU usage in valley/heaven/FS. 18686 points in FS and over 80fps in witcher 3 1440p. Just a few examples why this CPU is no real Bottleneck.

And that´s with a GTX980Ti. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Hi, i know i am bombing into this thread but its a similar question and i don't wanna spam the forum. Will a q6600 bottleneck a gtx 460? 

why cant people just understand this simple thing: it depends on what you do/what game you play

for example if you play arma you will pretty much ALWAYS be bottlenecked by your processor, i for sure was when i had a 4790k at 4.8ghz paired with a gtx 970. Graphics settings didn't affect frame rate at all. so you cant really ask this question in a general sense.