how do i unlock the voltage of my matrix 980?

mariobros

1c9cea74f8.png

edit with maxwell bios tweaker

first i need to learn how to do it with the bios tweaker

1c9cea74f8.png

edit with maxwell bios tweaker

There are 0 guides on the internet explaining all of the settings of Maxwell BIOS Tweaker which frustrated me, it's a lot of trial and error and guessing if you look throughout forums for many of the settings lol... 

Best idea is to find a popular custom BIOS for a 980 and do your best to copy it into your custom BIOS, but nothing is guaranteed.

What works for one card could damage another. 

Try to find any information you can on the settings you change, and be most cautious on everything related to power.

There are 0 guides on the internet explaining all of the settings of Maxwell BIOS Tweaker which frustrated me, it's a lot of trial and error and guessing if you look throughout forums for many of the settings lol... 

Best idea is to find a popular custom BIOS for a 980 and do your best to copy it into your custom BIOS, but nothing is guaranteed.

What works for one card could damage another. 

Try to find any information you can on the settings you change, and be most cautious on everything related to power.

since i have 2 bios ill try on one slowly looking for some info before of course

by the way i think your card has a bios switch, so if the bios completely fucks up and doesn't work at all it wont be too annoying to get it running again

oops, your post literally few centimeters up from my post already said you have 2 bioses

by the way i think your card has a bios switch, so if the bios completely fucks up and doesn't work at all it wont be too annoying to get it running again

oops, your post literally few centimeters up from my post already said you have 2 bioses

lol

theres also the safe mode to restore things up

theres also the safe mode to restore things up

If you aren´t running on water, phase or LN2 cooling flashing the BIOS is literally pointless, because even if you can OC higher you´ll be running into some serious throttling. Your cooler won´t be able to handle too high voltage and then you run a risk to kill your card. I know how the Maxwell & Kepler BIOS editor works in its features, but I won´t publish this, because people will try and fail and then come around and cry, sorry man. If you really want to do this just take it very easy on the Voltage table and don´t forget to adjust your boost table according to your desired OC otherwise this card will become very unstable.

EDIT: BTW that´s the reason other people like me don´t really publish it. Too much butt hurt.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

If you aren´t running on water, phase or LN2 cooling flashing the BIOS is literally pointless, because even if you can OC higher you´ll be running into some serious throttling. Your cooler won´t be able to handle too high voltage and then you run a risk to kill your card. I know how the Maxwell & Kepler BIOS editor works in its features, but I won´t publish this, because people will try and fail and then come around and cry, sorry man. If you really want to do this just take it very easy on the Voltage table and don´t forget to adjust your boost table according to your desired OC otherwise this card will become very unstable.

EDIT: BTW that´s the reason other people like me don´t really publish it. Too much butt hurt.

ill probably increase only the volgate and tdp and not much i know the cooler wouldnt support it

ill probably increase only the volgate and tdp and not much i know the cooler wouldnt support it

Just make sure you leave the PCIe at 75W max please :).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Just make sure you leave the PCIe at 75W max please :).

ill thank you for the tip

ill thank you for the tip

You are welcome :).

Asus locked the card to 1.2v even with another bios

Which doesn´t surprise me at all, had the same stuff going on with the GTX980 STRIX. Total bummer. Even more in your case considered the amount of money you put down on the table for that card. That´s why I stopped buying Asus a while ago... too much butt hurt with the X99 mainboards (X99 Deluxe and Rampage V suck ass) and same with the GPU. When I´m under the believe I need to flash my GPUs BIOS and fry the card so be it, after all I bought it, I can do what ever I want with it.

In terms of GPUs I buy nVidia directly (did that with 2 of my GTX980s and my Titans and had no issues) or EVGA.

you seem like an expert, so why does my 980 ti perfcap for the reason of "vrel" even when the power is nowhere near the limit and temperature is around 76 degrees? does it have some power input problems/instability? the max it should run at would be 1500 MHz core but it always drops down to 1487, and sometimes to 1481. my old 970 stopped that when i edited some shit in the bios, but i can't even remember what lol.

performance wise it doesn't matter at all, but i like round numbers

you seem like an expert, so why does my 980 ti perfcap for the reason of "vrel" even when the power is nowhere near the limit and temperature is around 76 degrees? does it have some power input problems/instability? the max it should run at would be 1500 MHz core but it always drops down to 1487, and sometimes to 1481. my old 970 stopped that when i edited some shit in the bios, but i can't even remember what lol.

performance wise it doesn't matter at all, but i like round numbers

Because power is Watts and not Volts. You see the PT has nothing to do with the Voltage you give the chip. Sure both values are related but your 'VRel' indicates that your are at the top what your BIOS allows the chip to draw in terms of Voltage. Usually a PT BIOS mod always goes along with refining the card´s voltage table as well. But if you have a card like an Asus you might have bad luck and have a so called BIOS hard lock, that can´t be broken just by modding the BIOS. And getting capped out by VRel means nothing that your card is at its maximum allowed voltage. The fluctuation you see in the card´s boosting could be coming from temp variation in your environment or case.

Because power is Watts and not Volts. You see the PT has nothing to do with the Voltage you give the chip. Sure both values are related but your 'VRel' indicates that your are at the top what your BIOS allows the chip to draw in terms of Voltage. Usually a PT BIOS mod always goes along with refining the card´s voltage table as well. But if you have a card like an Asus you might have bad luck and have a so called BIOS hard lock, that can´t be broken just by modding the BIOS. And getting capped out by VRel means nothing that your card is at its maximum allowed voltage. The fluctuation you see in the card´s boosting could be coming from temp variation in your environment or case.

i know what watts and volts are, i just included that because hitting power limit has the same effect and one reason for throttling could be that it lowers the voltage so it doesn't hit the power limit.

so does that  mean my vbios just doesn't like it to be at 1.23v? that's what it starts at and then it goes down after a while of stress. i just think it's odd that the card just throttles down for no apparent reason as power and temps are fine

i know what watts and volts are, i just included that because hitting power limit has the same effect and one reason for throttling could be that it lowers the voltage so it doesn't hit the power limit.

so does that  mean my vbios just doesn't like it to be at 1.23v? that's what it starts at and then it goes down after a while of stress. i just think it's odd that the card just throttles down for no apparent reason as power and temps are fine

It´s hard to say in detail what´s happening because I´d need to do some analysis with your particular card and PC, but from what I can tell from a distance is that it seems that 1.23 is peak Voltage and the card might go slightly back with it after a little while and if temps and environmental temps are the same in all your tests that could explain the slight throttling down, though as you already pointed out 13 MHz are nothing in terms of your overall performance.

Which doesn´t surprise me at all, had the same stuff going on with the GTX980 STRIX. Total bummer. Even more in your case considered the amount of money you put down on the table for that card. That´s why I stopped buying Asus a while ago... too much butt hurt with the X99 mainboards (X99 Deluxe and Rampage V suck ass) and same with the GPU. When I´m under the believe I need to flash my GPUs BIOS and fry the card so be it, after all I bought it, I can do what ever I want with it.

In terms of GPUs I buy nVidia directly (did that with 2 of my GTX980s and my Titans and had no issues) or EVGA.

if it was the strix adn they blocked in a certain voltage i get but the matrix the model supposed to be the best of their 980s they force us to void our warranty soldering something behind the card for some acceptable voltage overclock.... no more asus for me after that