Broken Hard Drive

IvanSnipedYu
Go to solution Solved by failblox,

If you opened your hard drive, it's already dead. Get a professional data recovery service if you want to have any chance of getting data off of it.

Do NOT try turning on the hard drive again if you've opened it. If you do this, you're slowly making the entire hard drive irrecoverable even using advanced data recovery techniques.

If you want to know why this is the case, the read/write head (the 'needle') in a hard drive sits a few nanometers above the platters inside your hard drive. A spec of dust on the platter (or any other foreign substances, for that matter) would be like a brick wall to the head. You'll end up scratching the magnetic platters, destroying the data with it.

So.. I tried to use my external hard drive and it wouldnt work. I notice a beeping so I immediately grabbed the tool kit and open it up. I got it unstuck but then I noticed that the reason it keeps getting stuck is because of the needle assembly. I noticed that it was broken... like the foil was like peeling. I was wondering if there is a way to fix this.

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

If you opened your hard drive, it's already dead. Get a professional data recovery service if you want to have any chance of getting data off of it.

Do NOT try turning on the hard drive again if you've opened it. If you do this, you're slowly making the entire hard drive irrecoverable even using advanced data recovery techniques.

If you want to know why this is the case, the read/write head (the 'needle') in a hard drive sits a few nanometers above the platters inside your hard drive. A spec of dust on the platter (or any other foreign substances, for that matter) would be like a brick wall to the head. You'll end up scratching the magnetic platters, destroying the data with it.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Would professional recovery be able to recover large volumes of data?

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

Would professional recovery be able to recover large volumes of data?

Yes. It is an expensive service though, so depending on the importance of the data you may or may not want to consider that route.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Yes. It is an expensive service though, so depending on the importance of the data you may or may not want to consider that route.

Do you have any recommendation on services? I want to check this out.

just google hard drive recovery, its going to cost like 1k or something that.

just google hard drive recovery, its going to cost like 1k or something that.

What the heck? Are you serious?

Do you have any recommendation on services? I want to check this out.

I don't know any services, unfortunately, but try searching for a reputable company that offers these services. You don't want to be trusting your data with a sketchy group of people that could possibly lost your data.

I don't know the exact prices of these services, but as a said before - it's expensive. It also depends on how complex the recovery is (e.g. if your NAS running in RAID 6 caught fire and you want to recover data off of that - it'd be really expensive).

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Yeah.... they have to take it into a lab and meticulously clean the platters, find an identical drive and swap the platters and such....

I know no one likes to hear this, but you should really have a backup of your stuff.

EDIT: the minimum you can find it for is around 400.... link here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hard-drive-recovery-solutions,3876-3.html