Really strange problem

App4that

I'm putting this here since it happened when I changed cards.

I put my 290 Vapor-x back in my case so that my wife could play around with it, as it's her's now. At first I was using the 300 series Crimson driver, I notice some strange horizontal lines appearing if you moved the mouse around right after the PC started up. So I removed the drivers, installed the drivers for the 200 series card and everything seemed fine. Then this morning I got the same thing. Once the card/PC was warmed up they go away.

The lines are white, they flash for less than a second and only happen when the PC is cold/starting up. They also happen more on my primary monitor than the secondary monitor.

Any ideas?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

might be a first sign GPU is slowly dying. :D

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Put the other card in your system then see if it is still happening.  If it doesn't do it with that one then I'd RMA it as that's likely early signs of heavy future artifacting.  

Yuck, not good. I'll do that then. report back with what happens. Thanks

Yuck, not good. I'll do that then. report back with what happens. Thanks

that's a downside with power hungry hot running chips, they tend to die fairly soon...i don't expect my 980ti to last anything more than 3 to 5 years honestly it running at like 76c under load and pulling around 300W from the wall on it's own...it will be greatly outlived by just about any GTX 970 there is for example. Heat and power degrade transistors.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That's the odd thing, it's only a few months old. But going to switch GPUs now and see.

Put the other card in your system then see if it is still happening.  If it doesn't do it with that one then I'd RMA it as that's likely early signs of heavy future artifacting.  

that's a downside with power hungry hot running chips, they tend to die fairly soon...i don't expect my 980ti to last anything more than 3 to 5 years honestly it running at like 76c under load and pulling around 300W from the wall on it's own...it will be greatly outlived by just about any GTX 970 there is for example. Heat and power degrade transistors.

Threw in the 390, even using the 200 series drivers (forgot to do a DDU) no white lines. I got an internal power blue screen on start up though, which was odd. Didn't kick me to the bois though.

After class I'm going to put the 290 back in, if the lines come back I'll start the RMA process. Wife was a bit miffed, as I just gave it to her. But she's at least a month away from building so it should be cleared up by then.

I wouldn't waste time RMA unless it's showing in game or playing video that use GPU acceleration.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I wouldn't waste time RMA unless it's showing in game or playing video that use GPU acceleration.

Only on start up, I played Fallout 4 last night for hours without any trouble. But I have two cards so I'd rather do it now while it doesn't bother me than wait until her PC is built and one of us is out a card for weeks. As it is it's making her not want to build, but buy a pre-built...

Yep, she's dead Jim. If anyone finds this, screen tearing on start-up is a hardware failure.

Sapphire has decided to RMA the card, now the wait to see what happens.

Yep, she's dead Jim. If anyone finds this, screen tearing on start-up is a hardware failure.

Sapphire has decided to RMA the card, now the wait to see what happens.

she dead brother? already? wow :( so i was right...first signs of failure it was...

i really fear my 980ti will end up doing that too!

she dead brother? already? wow :( so i was right...first signs of failure it was...

i really fear my 980ti will end up doing that too!

Contacted Sapphire and it took 15min for a RMA reply. So do I get a referb back or do they send a Nitro is the question. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Contacted Sapphire and it took 15min for a RMA reply. So do I get a referb back or do they send a Nitro is the question. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Reading on the internet about this, so many R9 290/290X are dead already...like i said, power hungry hot running massive GPU's don't last very long huh :(

Maybe they will send you a 390 or a 390X in return...sometimes they ship what they have on hands :P

good luck!

Reading on the internet about this, so many R9 290/290X are dead already...like i said, power hungry hot running massive GPU's don't last very long huh :(

Maybe they will send you a 390 or a 390X in return...sometimes they ship what they have on hands :P

good luck!

Yeah, I did a quick check when they didn't even ask me to try anything. Lot's of Vapor-x issues. And I'm really nice to mine, you know I'm a temp Nazi and I run very light overclocks if at all. In a perfect world I'd get a refund since it's only been a few months, but no ones that lucky :lol: . But a guy can dream. 970ssc dreams. :ph34r:

Yeah, I did a quick check when they didn't even ask me to try anything. Lot's of Vapor-x issues. And I'm really nice to mine, you know I'm a temp Nazi and I run very light overclocks if at all. In a perfect world I'd get a refund since it's only been a few months, but no ones that lucky :lol: . But a guy can dream. 970ssc dreams. :ph34r:

hahaha yeah but sapphire won't send you back an nvidia chip since they are only about AMD :)

Another 390 would be nice though with 8GB and shit... ;)

hahaha yeah but sapphire won't send you back an nvidia chip since they are only about AMD :)

Another 390 would be nice though with 8GB and shit... ;)

If they send a Nitro back that's going in my case for crossfire reasons. If they send a 390x the wife gets the 390.