Does dust filters actually do anything and stop your computer from getting dusty?

thomas88sau

Hey, I don't think this is actually the answer you were looking for but this is my experience. The dust filter definitely helps, but dust still gets in your computer. The dust covers on my case catch a lot of dust, but there is still some in my case. If you don't ever clean out the inside of your case it will accumulate. It would be worse without the dust covers. Hope this helped some.

The dust filters is just used to catch most of the dust but some dust will go through and thus making your computer dusty. They just help you so you don't have to clean your computer frequently because of dust accumulating quickly into your case.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Also, make sure that you have a positive airflow in your case (more intake that out). This will prevent dust from entering into your case through unfiltered intakes.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Dust filters do help quite a bit, but the better they are, the worse your airflow's gonna be.

The best dust filters i have used are the super fine mesh ones like demciflex.

if dust still gets into your case when using them then you have negative air pressure.

if dust still gets into your case when using them then you have negative air pressure.

Not necessarily, the filters can't stop ALL the dust from getting through...

Well, not every single particle, but to get through these filters they'd have to be ultra tiny, tiny enough to be blasted straight out of my roof before settling anywhere.

They even make filters to your custom measurements and ship them pretty quickly.

The dust filters filter out the dust that is larger than the size if the filter pores, everything else smaller still gets in. So basically it helps but does not prevent dust build up, and the dust that does build up now is small and can be worse to remove as it is so small it will get stuck in odd places unless you take some effort to remove it (vacuum, blow compress air into the nooks and crannies). Then there are the gaps in the case that let air/dust in, mainly side panels and front 5 1/4" slots and what not.

The best way to prevent dust build up is to have all your air filtered, the air that is exposed to the computer, as in AC air, that is air filtered in addition to having filters in your air intakes of your computer. Server Room computers are the cleanest you will find because they are always under filtered AC air. So basically if you start with clean air you will increase the likely hood of having a clean computer, most of us have regular house air which is as dirty as it gets so we get the dust build up. Then, most of us have our computers in a room we sleep in, which means your dead skin is everywhere and also in your computer in the form of dust (aka dead skin cells and general dust).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
Please be a troll, please!
Why is this thread stickied? Theres no title on the thread also.. Maybe a Glitch?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I highly recommend using them especially if you're in a carpeted room or have pets - cats especially. It's also worth chucking some form of filter on your PSU as well - PSU's are probably the hardest to clean out of everything because of the intricacy of the components.

Yes dust filters help. No, dust filters do not stop your case from getting dusty. It just slows down the time it takes for dust build up in a case. So instead of cleaning out your computer once a week, you can dust out your computer once every 3 months instead because your filters will catch most of the dust (not all).

Fine dust will more than likely go through a fan filter but its going to help. As I have pets ( 3 cats and now 1 dog) I choose to use them as it keeps their air out of my system. Also I maintain positive air pressure in the case which helps to stop the dust from settling.

Asus Maximus VI Hero , i5 4670k , 8gb Corsair vengeance ddr3, Asus HD 7970 matrix platinum, Corsair AX860, Ocz agility 3 120gb ssd, 1tb wd green hdd, custom water loop. All in an Antec p280