ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1 and.............headphones suggestions? Senheiser HD 558s (Gaming and music)

ScotFox

Ok, thanks for all of your replys on my other post. I have to decided on a sound card (ASUS Xonar DG PCI 5.1) and now i am uncertain on what headphones i should get. I  currently am using a cheap pair of Samson Sr850 (which are great for the price) but i have the money to upgrade. 

I have considered the Senheiser HD558's

V-Moda Crossfade

I want these headphones for positional audio in gaming but i dont know if this is going over the top or not because of what im upgrading from. I also listening to music but nothing bass heavy.

Suggestions on headphones would be great and i play games such as DayZ, Battlefield 3 and other games of that nature.

Leader of the Fox Army on twitch and youtube

What is the max you are looking to spend? HD558 is still a great choice regardless if you want to spend more. I haven't used them for long but I enjoy my DT 770 80ohm.

edit: AD700 possibly AD900 would be great for its wide sound stage and pretty awesome positional audio technology. They are weak on bass however but you said its k.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

What is the max you are looking to spend? HD558 is still a great choice regardless if you want to spend more. I haven't used them for long but I enjoy my DT 770 80ohm.

edit: AD700 possibly AD900 would be great for its wide sound stage and pretty awesome positional audio technology. They are weak on bass however but you said its k.

Thanks for your feedback so quickly! My budget i would say is around £100-150. Something that will last me a while :D, The AD700 i cant find on amazon for under £150 which is annoying.

Thanks for your feedback so quickly! My budget i would say is around £100-150. Something that will last me a while :D, The AD700 i cant find on amazon for under £150 which is annoying.

Wat. The HD558 is more expensive than the AD700 in USD but the AD700 is more expensive than the HD558 in pounds (?). Might I suggest the DT 770. I have these and they are pretty good. I cannot compare them to the HD588 since I only used the 558 for like a week. If you need a microphone I recommend the Zalman clip on mic or antlion modmic.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

Wat. The HD558 is more expensive than the AD700 in USD but the AD700 is more expensive than the HD558 in pounds (?). Might I suggest the DT 770. I have these and they are pretty good. I cannot compare them to the HD588 since I only used the 558 for like a week. If you need a microphone I recommend the Zalman clip on mic or antlion modmic.

The only problem with the DT 770 is that they are closed :/ And i have never been a huge fan. The HD 558s on amazon are £119.99 and the AD 700s on amazon are  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU £150, i just saw them for $100 on amazon.com lol. Man headphones are difficult

AT ATH-M50

Thanks, i will have a look into them!

AT ATH-M50

And what about the HD 558s compared to the 518s which are significantly cheaper? Arent the pc360s just a pair of 518s with a mic?

AT ATH-M50

The only problem with the DT 770 is that they are closed :/ And i have never been a huge fan. The HD 558s on amazon are £119.99 and the AD 700s on amazon are  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU £150, i just saw them for $100 on amazon.com lol. Man headphones are difficult

The ATH-M50 are closed as well. Might as well stick with the HD558 since those are already a solid choice.

In case you don't believe me:

ATH-M50 Key Features:
  • Exceptional audio quality for professional monitoring and mixing
  • Collapsible design ideal for easy portability and convenient storage
  • Proprietary 45 mm large-aperture drivers with neodymium magnet systems
  • Closed-back cushioned earcup design creates an outstanding seal for maximum isolation
  • Adjustable padded headband for comfort during long mixing/recording sessions
  • Single-sided coiled cable terminates to gold-plated mini-plug with screw-on ¼" adapter
  • Available in white color with coiled cable (ATH-M50WH), black color with straight cable (ATH-M50s), and silver color with straight cable (Limited Edition ATH-M50s/LE)

The ATH-M50 are closed as well. Might as well stick with the HD558 since those are already a solid choice.

In case you don't believe me:

yes i just said i would have a look at them, they are unfortunately closed, how would you think the 518s would compare to the 558s, much of a difference?

for gaming I haven't had better than my HD595. extremely comfortable and great positional audio.

essentially the same platform as the HD558.

I'd say stick with the HD558 and look into the foam mod. the mod is completely reversible if you don't like it.

if your use is more music/video I'd suggest DT770's or srh840's but for gaming, I absolutely loved my sennheiser.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

for gaming I haven't had better than my HD595. extremely comfortable and great positional audio.

I'd say stick with the HD558 and look into the foam mod. the mod is completely reversible if you don't like it.

if your use is more music/video I'd suggest DT770's or srh840's but for gaming, I absolutely loved my sennheiser.

Do you have any thoughts on the HD 518s compared to the 558s?

yes i just said i would have a look at them, they are unfortunately closed, how would you think the 518s would compare to the 558s, much of a difference?

Can't say I never tried the 518. All the reviews I hear are for the 558.

Pretty much this. Well covered m8

Do you have any thoughts on the HD 518s compared to the 558s?

have not tried the 518, I went straight for the HD595 as my first good headphone.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Can't say I never tried the 518. All the reviews I hear are for the 558.

Pretty much this. Well covered m8

have not tried the 518, I went straight for the HD595 as my first good headphone.

Thank you guys i have a better idea of some headphones now. I will read some reviews comparing the 558s and the 518s and make the decision!

Mission accomplished guys