Battlefield 4 Officially Runs at 720P on PlayStation 4

isnt it obvious consoles cant play as good as pc's? look at the form factor and the price..

i challenge anyone here to show a full pc that costs 500 bucks on pcpartspicker which can run modern games at 720p 60hz

Usually you can't match a console price/performance right off the bat.  This is partly because the console hardware is built for one purpose (gaming), and they usually sell each unit at a loss.  In fact, the ps3 is still being sold at a loss.  Although the exact requirements of your challenge is not very difficult, matching the hardware form factor and price/performance of the PS4 for $500 today might be.  But 3 months (November release) is a long time in the PC world and in that time there will be a lot of change.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Usually you can't match a console price/performance right off the bat.  This is partly because the console hardware is built for one purpose (gaming), and they usually sell each unit at a loss.  In fact, the ps3 is still being sold at a loss.  Although the exact requirements of your challenge is not very difficult, matching the hardware form factor and price/performance of the PS4 for $500 today might be.  But 3 months (November release) is a long time in the PC world and in that time there will be a lot of change.

Honestly, a PC cannot ever match a Console in regards to price-performance ratios. By the time PC's get to that point, the console will get a price cut. 

Unless you reallllly think I can get an 8 core CPU and a 7870 into a PC with everything else within 1 years time (my guess for the first price cut to come). 

Do note that you have to include peripherals in the cost for the PC because a PS4/XB1 come with 1 controller. So  yeah.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Honestly, a PC cannot ever match a Console in regards to price-performance ratios. By the time PC's get to that point, the console will get a price cut. 

Unless you reallllly think I can get an 8 core CPU and a 7870 into a PC with everything else within 1 years time (my guess for the first price cut to come). 

Do note that you have to include peripherals in the cost for the PC because a PS4/XB1 come with 1 controller. So  yeah.\

Look at AMD's gaming bundles... You save so much money and get tons of free games. Yeah a PC has more upfront cost, but you save on games and get a better experience. KB/M>Controller

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Look at AMD's gaming bundles... You save so much money and get tons of free games. Yeah a PC has more upfront cost, but you save on games and get a better experience. KB/M>Controller

I pay $50 and get 24 free games in a year from PS+. Many of them good AAA games like Uncharted 3 and Hitman: Absolution, among many others. I also get 6 Vita games, cloud storage, automatic updates, and many other free things.

You also get 12 free games up front when buying PS+. That, imo, competes very strongly with Steam sales. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I pay $50 and get 24 free games in a year from PS+. Many of them good AAA games like Uncharted 3 and Hitman: Absolution, among many others. I also get 6 Vita games, cloud storage, automatic updates, and many other free things.

You also get 12 free games up front when buying PS+. That, imo, competes very strongly with Steam sales. 

Do you own them or is it a rental? 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Do you own them or is it a rental? 

You own them forever.

Note that purchase means click on it in the Playstation Plus section of the store. It is free, it just says "purchased" and such saying you own the game. You just have to actually "buy" it even though it is free. Digital stuff is weird like that.

If you "purchase" the games, you own them so long as you are a PS+ member. If you delete them, you can redownload them later. If you stop being a PS+ member and let your subscription expire, you can become one again later and it is still owned by you to download later.

If you do not "purchase" them and the month passes when they are free to PS+ members, you cannot go back and get them as they will not be handed out again (who would want the same free game twice? it would gip the people who were members for longer by offering a game they already own).

Completely free (aside from buying PS+ membership) and you keep it forever so long as you actually want it.

I forgot to mention that PS+ members are also offered even larger discounts (up to 75% off has been seen by me in the past week on many games) than normal members (who are offered up to 50% or so off in comparison IIRC). 

So yeah. Playstation Plus is veeery competitive with Steam in my eyes. 

† Christian Member †

You own them forever.

Note that purchase means click on it in the Playstation Plus section of the store. It is free, it just says "purchased" and such saying you own the game. You just have to actually "buy" it even though it is free. Digital stuff is weird like that.

If you "purchase" the games, you own them so long as you are a PS+ member. If you delete them, you can redownload them later. If you stop being a PS+ member and let your subscription expire, you can become one again later and it is still owned by you to download later.

If you do not "purchase" them and the month passes when they are free to PS+ members, you cannot go back and get them as they will not be handed out again (who would want the same free game twice? it would gip the people who were members for longer by offering a game they already own).

Completely free (aside from buying PS+ membership) and you keep it forever so long as you actually want it.

Meh, I'll stick with PC

Hail Sithis!

Meh, I'll stick with PC

I added a wee bit more to the end there. I am not advocating consoles over PC (PC master race of course), but to say consoles are not worth it or even competitive is incorrect imo.

† Christian Member †

hahaha 720p in this day and age, Thank got I have a gaming PC.......

Do note that you have to include peripherals in the cost for the PC because a PS4/XB1 come with 1 controller. So  yeah.

True enough.  But the Wii U is almost a year old and inexplicably has not come down in price.  I was able to work out a system for about $546 that has an 8-core CPU, 7870, peripherals and a blu-ray drive going the Ubuntu route.  However the PS4 has a Jaguar based apu that only runs at 1.6 GHz, so I'm not sure how much a factor the cores come into play like if a higher clocked quad core would be equivalent in the PC world.   Since this apu doesn't exist outside the console world, it's kind of hard to put a price tag on it.  The price on the AMD cards will definitely be dropping in October, so along with the other PC parts by November the price point would be close.  This of course leaves the nice looking small form factor of the PS4 but also the more than certain loss that Sony is willing to take for a single unit.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

True enough.  But the Wii U is almost a year old and inexplicably has not come down in price.  I was able to work out a system for about $546 that has an 8-core CPU, 7870, peripherals and a blu-ray drive going the Ubuntu route.  However the PS4 has a Jaguar based apu that only runs at 1.6 GHz, so I'm not sure how much a factor the cores come into play like if a higher clocked quad core would be equivalent in the PC world.   Since this apu doesn't exist outside the console world, it's kind of hard to put a price tag on it.  The price on the AMD cards will definitely be dropping in October, so along with the other PC parts by November the price point would be close.  This of course leaves the nice looking small form factor of the PS4 but also the more than certain loss that Sony is willing to take for a single unit.

The Wii U is an oddball. I would not even call it a next gen console.

Sony's losses are very small this go around. Originally, they were not going to take a loss at all on the consoles, but something changed that. I forget what.

I do not think going Ubuntu is fair.

Firstly, it completely lacks the ease of use of the console.

Secondly, it is not guaranteed to run almost any game like Windows and the PS4 OS is. 

As for the APU, it has a boost clock of 2.3GHz which I fully expect it to stay at fairly often as APU's are low power and thereby usually cool.

You have to also take into account optimizations (Look at The Last of Us for an example of the difference it can make in the long term), and 

† Christian Member †

The Wii U is an oddball. I would not even call it a next gen console.

Sony's losses are very small this go around. Originally, they were not going to take a loss at all on the consoles, but something changed that. I forget what.

I do not think going Ubuntu is fair.

Firstly, it completely lacks the ease of use of the console.

Secondly, it is not guaranteed to run almost any game like Windows and the PS4 OS is. 

As for the APU, it has a boost clock of 2.3GHz which I fully expect it to stay at fairly often as APU's are low power and thereby usually cool.

You have to also take into account optimizations (Look at The Last of Us for an example of the difference it can make in the long term), and 

Ubuntu is totally fair.  Steam's linux library is ever increasing and Ubuntu is not that difficult, the ease of use is not a factor in hardware.  It may be targeted at a different audience though which is not unlike mobile phone and tablet gamers.  The PS4 has an equivalent 7870 in it, which already takes the optimizations into consideration.  At least, that's the way I interpret it.  The apu has 1152 stream processors which sandwiches it between a 7850 and 7870 (slightly closer to the 7850 actually).  But the PC does have overclockability on both the CPU and GPU which a console does not.  Although it's not really a factor in terms of hardware, but the PC's game library is at least backwards compatible where PS4 can only play PS4 games.

Ubuntu is totally fair.  Steam's linux library is ever increasing and Ubuntu is not that difficult, the ease of use is not a factor in hardware.  It may be targeted at a different audience though which is not unlike mobile phone and tablet gamers.  The PS4 has an equivalent 7870 in it, which already takes the optimizations into consideration.  At least, that's the way I interpret it.  The apu has 1152 stream processors which sandwiches it between a 7850 and 7870 (slightly closer to the 7850 actually).  But the PC does have overclockability on both the CPU and GPU which a console does not.  Although it's not really a factor in terms of hardware, but the PC's game library is at least backwards compatible where PS4 can only play PS4 games.

Well, as I said, the APU has a boost clock. Since the APU is both a CPU and a GPU, that is overclocking both CPU and GPU. 

Actually, the PS4 will have a cloud game streaming service called Geikei that lets it play PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP games. So in a sense, it is backwards compatible. Not sure if you will be able to play games you already own, but I would imagine you could as it would be easy to do. The Blu-ray drive can read PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. It does not need to play them, just read them. Then it can verify you own the game and thereby allow you to use Geikei to play it so long as you are a Playstation + member (since online requires it and this is technically online).

Just my thoughts on all that. PSP might be harder to prove though.

PS+ offers over 30+ free games (AAA games) a year for only $50. That is not even counting all the other features offered. 

Even with your considerations, I do not think you will touch the PS4's hardware/features with only $400 until it has a price cut, thus extending it's price-performance ratio being better than an equally priced PC. 

† Christian Member †

Even with your considerations, I do not think you will touch the PS4's hardware/features with only $400 until it has a price cut, thus extending it's price-performance ratio being better than an equally priced PC. 

Ha!  Shows how much I am into console gaming.  I was working with a $500 price point as in the OP.  I didn't even realize that the PS4 is only $400. 

Ha!  Shows how much I am into console gaming.  I was working with a $500 price point as in the OP.  I didn't even realize that the PS4 is only $400. 

The XB1 is $500. The PS4 will have a bundle where you get the PS4, a controller, and a PS Vita for $500 or you can just get the PS4 and controller for $400. 

It is cool. Most PC enthusiasts do not follow consoles very much. 

† Christian Member †

id like to add that the ps3 was released in 2006 and can still run games released this year and will support new games for the next 2 years. i dont think any pc gpu from 2006 can run any pc games

id like to add that the ps3 was released in 2006 and can still run games released this year and will support new games for the next 2 years. i dont think any pc gpu from 2006 can run any pc games

Because PC is a moving Platform we don't want to play games like Battlefield 3 in DX9,24 Players,30FPS and upscaled 720p.

Consoles hold the Game Industrie back.

RTX2070OC 

And again, BF on console at 720p...

Dammit

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Because PC is a moving Platform we don't want to play games like Battlefield 3 in DX9,24 Players,30FPS and upscaled 720p.

Consoles hold the Game Industrie back.

LMz94ux.jpg

holding back? i dont know about you but that looks like progress to me

And this came out on PC in the same Year as the Ps3 in europe:
Crysis 1:
i9AI50ib0shkT.png

And here we have Bf3 that came in the same Year as Skyrim:
battlefield-3-20110408004714669.jpgJust look at Phones the Ps3 released before the first Iphone look at how far Phones are now.

RTX2070OC 

All my lels, NEXT GEN...720p

Agreed... Next gen is a joke.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

New consoles didn't even release and everybody says they suck. I doubt any $400 pc with a case, psu and blu-ray drive can handle games the way the ps4 can.

144Hz goodness

Agreed... Next gen is a joke.

Not all games will be that way. Just the major ones (BF, CoD, Need for Speed). :| Which we can all get on PC. So why does that matter at all? I am more interested in what the exclusives will run because they are the reason I want a console and they tend to run better than the multi-platform games.

New consoles didn't even release and everybody says they suck. I doubt any $400 pc with a case, psu and blu-ray drive can handle games the way the ps4 can.

This.

† Christian Member †

I can do that http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xakV

still beats a console.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110