PC Boots black screen sometimes

FShiwani

I've noticed over the last few weeks that sometimes my pc would boot, but there would be a complete black screen, the ROG logo at the start wouldn't even show up. I know it must have posted because in a few seconds I can hear the windows login sound. I've tried replugging the hdmi cable(from both GPU and monitor) when it happens but no luck, I've tried messing with the monitor but no luck. Sometimes it would do that 2 boots in a row, so I would have to force shut it off and then try boot again, usually works on the third try. Only happens sometimes. But it defintely does boot, seems like GPU issue or something.

Another thing that might be of use is that I used to be getting these errors saying that GPU driver has crashed and has recovered, the screen goes black for like 1 second and that message pops up. Happens randomly but never in game or under stress. So I decided to update drivers and that seems to have fixed it but it still did not fix the booting issue. Any ideas?

i7-4790k Stock

MSI GTX 970 4G Edition.

Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97 

This may be of help: My monitor(Dell E228WFP) is quite old and has VGA and DVI only, so I use a DVI to HDMI converter, never had this issue on my old build

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k. Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger GPU: MSI GTX 970 

Alright. so it happened again, this time I was using the PC and screen just went completely black and monitor said no signal. no clue whats happening. It cant be drivers otherwise it wouldnt happen at boot up

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k. Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger GPU: MSI GTX 970