Dual Xeon 771 (no hacksaw required)

f22luke
On 11/27/2015 at 2:20 PM, f22luke said:

Hmm it would do ok with any workload that can be multi-threaded as Linus points out in the video these have new life with DX12 and Vulcan emphasizing multi thread workloads.  It also has the added benefit of ECC memory so less to go wrong in a multi hour render.  

I would say that it depends on what you mean by well.  Yes it can do the things you mentioned and may even do some things better than an i5 but any modern i5 would crush it in a single threaded work load.

If you have certain benchmarks you would like for me to run just mention it and I will see what I can do when it's all finished.

Cinebench.

21 hours ago, gazzimba said:

I have the same worksation with original PSU

I tried adding a Radeon 7950 OC to replace my Quadro FX 4600.

Somehow the Quadro works flawlessly but the Radeon gives me 6-Beep GPU error code

just saw yout post on 6 Pin connector Layout.

I will check my pin out voltages.. if thats all it is, I should be able to get the 7950 working

@f22luke What GPU do you have currently installed? What is the peak power consumption of the card?

I read it in the XW8600 manual somewhere that it supports GPUs with max Power rating of 175W. Is it true?

I have the 1050w psu variant and it has three different 6 pin connectors.  One has a clear plastic connector and it is the one that is wired different for the memory. The other two connector are black and are for graphics cards.  I am not certain but I believe they are on separate rails.  The whole power supply is a custom job by delta and is quite efficient I'm willing to bet it's close to 80+ Gold levels.

It would be hard to draw more power than the PSU can handle using a 7950.  You could try one of those molex to pcie power plugs just so you draw some of the power from a different rail.  Unfortunately I don't think I will be of much help as I'm just using a 750ti in mine.  I could try out my 7870 but I don't have time atm.  My advice would be to update the bios and when you put the graphics card back in make sure to use the top slot and seat the card in the slot well.

1 Timothy 1:15

13 minutes ago, f22luke said:

I have the 1050w psu variant and it has three different 6 pin connectors.  One has a clear plastic connector and it is the one that is wired different for the memory. The other two connector are black and are for graphics cards.  I am not certain but I believe they are on separate rails.  The whole power supply is a custom job by delta and is quite efficient I'm willing to bet it's close to 80+ Gold levels.

It would be hard to draw more power than the PSU can handle using a 7950.  You could try one of those molex to pcie power plugs just so you draw some of the power from a different rail.  Unfortunately I don't think I will be of much help as I'm just using a 750ti in mine.  I could try out my 7870 but I don't have time atm.  My advice would be to update the bios and when you put the graphics card back in make sure to use the top slot and seat the card in the slot well.

My BIOS is on th latest version HP offered (v1.46).

I did try it with a 8-pin connector over 2 Molex connectors and 6-Pin direct from PSU.. it did not work.

I will check what are the pin out voltages of the black PCIe 6-pin connectors.

What I currently dont have is the possibility to use 2x 8-Pin connectors that the card requires. The PSU only has 3x Molex connectors to offer. 

It might also be the PSU itself as I am using the 800W one. I am sure it is a 80+ Gold unit.

Although I dont think that the CPUs alone are drawing all the power and the machine cannot run the GPU.

Thing is the GPU starts for a second or two and then stops working. 

Just now, gazzimba said:

My BIOS is on th latest version HP offered (v1.46).

I did try it with a 8-pin connector over 2 Molex connectors and 6-Pin direct from PSU.. it did not work.

I will check what are the pin out voltages of the black PCIe 6-pin connectors.

What I currently dont have is the possibility to use 2x 8-Pin connectors that the card requires. The PSU only has 3x Molex connectors to offer. 

It might also be the PSU itself as I am using the 800W one. I am sure it is a 80+ Gold unit.

Although I dont think that the CPUs alone are drawing all the power and the machine cannot run the GPU.

Thing is the GPU starts for a second or two and then stops working. 

well that's your issue then it need two 8 pin connectors.  you can get a 6 pin to 8 pin addapter for one of the pcie and then use the molex to 8 pin that you already have.  Here is what I would use: 8 Pin to Dual 6 Pin

1 minute ago, f22luke said:

well that's your issue then it need two 8 pin connectors.  you can get a 6 pin to 8 pin addapter for one of the pcie and then use the molex to 8 pin that you already have.  Here is what I would use: 8 Pin to Dual 6 Pin

Its on the way.. ;)

I just relized that I have not shared the photos from the instillation of the psu in the case.  This PSU is way over ATX specs butt I mad it fit... oops wrong butt but I regularly make that fit my pants so not too far off subject.  

BnSlhXjl.jpg

RJ27CAZl.jpg

I used some aluminum shims so that I didn't have to grind on the bracket.

1QgSGLOl.jpg

KPUhvxIl.jpg

I did have to grind on the cross bar support but not much.

ClAAHlWl.jpg

Also since the Fully Buffered memory get's quite hot I bought a 92mm fan and a beefy motherboard standoff riser to cool them.

l65dwmPl.jpg

I also used the front panel connector I bought off ebay and attached the power switch and lights to the back grill with hot glue.  The one weakness of this case is the front panel buttons are just terrible and since with my setup the back is easier to get at anyways this was ideal.

DKOZX4Jl.jpg

ZQrPFgKl.jpg

Yes I used 4 sata power to Molex addapters.

wSRpjqVl.jpg

The difficulty you're experiencing is why I can't be bothered to do this.

It's cool, but not for me.

• 3 weeks later...

@f22luke do you have any trouble with fan control on your build? I've tried using something like speedfan, but had no luck. No matter what load or temp i'm at may fans idle around 1500-ish RPM, and they are like 4000 RPM 4-Wire PWM fans. Any ideas?

• 11 months later...

I found a supermicro X7DWN+ and 2x X5450 for very cheap and sadly they're not in the same steppings, one is SLASB and one SLBBC and I just cannot get windows to boot, remove one it runs fine, swap, fine, two at the same time, BSOD :(

15 hours ago, _blackknight_ said:

I found a supermicro X7DWN+ and 2x X5450 for very cheap and sadly they're not in the same steppings, one is SLASB and one SLBBC and I just cannot get windows to boot, remove one it runs fine, swap, fine, two at the same time, BSOD :(

Have you tried moving around the RAM?

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.)