Computer Blackscreens under gaming load

sudz3

Parts: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TWkBCJ

Stock CPU Speed, Stock Graphics Speed.

Symptoms:  Gaming for any length of time (2-30 minutes) and the computer will blackscreen. Sound will remain sometimes. Won't return until reset. Nothing in Application log. No dump files.

Steps taken:

RMA'd Graphics card. Played with 4850 with no issue, at horrible quality/resolution in what games I could run.

Got new graphics card - Installed, Launched GTAV - Crashed within 5 minutes. Swore lots.

Had BeQuiet! L8 500W PSU, but had 2, 12 volt rails (biggest with 28 Amp. Card has single 8pin, requiring 28 amps. Figured it was PSU. Replaced with EVGA B2 750 Watt. (single 62 amp Rail)

Since last fix:

Played some Heroes of the storm - GPU driver stopped responding once, and recovered. (Lost game.) GTAV - Single Player - Crashed once after 30 minutes.
Rocket Leauge - Crashed twice both around the 20-30 minute mark.

CS-GO - ~30 minute mark

KSP and Cities skylines remain unaffected.

More details:

Furmark is rock solid for 10+ minutes, Temps max at 65*c. "power" usage is at 98% generally. 
http://imgur.com/qwCIEIP

RivaTuner
http://imgur.com/10AD4EX

CPU Temps around 55*c with Furmark or games running. 

Edit: I used furmark stress test, plus the built in CPU stress test to load up all 4 cores 100%. CPU temps max out at 64*c on the hottest core. (59 on the coolest)

Both stress tests are still running. 5 minutes and counting. 

Update: Left furmark and CPU stress test running for almost an hour. No issues. 

Why is it just games?!

Could be your GPU or your Power supply.

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

I've said the same thing to others having the same problem. It might very well be a dying stick of ram so try removing a stick (while your computer is off) and see the results. It also could be your graphics card not getting enough power from the power supply although it's still rare that happens. So backing down the stock clock speeds and voltage from you gpu. (I recommend using MSI afterburner). It's also a good idea to make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date

Replaced PSU, Replaced GPU, Still occurs. Did already downclock with old GPU. Also tried slight overvolt, and undervolting. 

I will try memtest tonight. 

Alright guys. 

To date:

Replaced GPU (RMA).

Replaced PSU (EVGA B2 750, up from my BeQuiet! 550W L8).

Alternated Ram Sticks.

Memtest for 12+ hours

X264 Stress Test for 8+ hours

LinPack for 45 minutes (was pegging thermal limit of 72*c, aborted, but no errors)

Complete reformat, Fresh install of win10 Pro including game installs (GTAV, Battlefront, BF4, Cities Skylines, KSP, Blizzard games) from scratch. (ouch... my bandwidth)

Issue still  #^!%'ing occurs.

When your GPU has a dedicated power input - does it still draw from the Motherboard?  I'm thinking now that the only cause could be CPU/Motherboard. Can I get confirmation?

OR, did I get a dud card sent out to me, with the exact same issue? what are the odds of that?

Thanks in advance.

Alright guys. 

To date:

Replaced GPU (RMA).

Replaced PSU (EVGA B2 750, up from my BeQuiet! 550W L8).

Alternated Ram Sticks.

Memtest for 12+ hours

X264 Stress Test for 8+ hours

LinPack for 45 minutes (was pegging thermal limit of 72*c, aborted, but no errors)

Complete reformat, Fresh install of win10 Pro including game installs (GTAV, Battlefront, BF4, Cities Skylines, KSP, Blizzard games) from scratch. (ouch... my bandwidth)

Issue still  #^!%'ing occurs.

When your GPU has a dedicated power input - does it still draw from the Motherboard?  I'm thinking now that the only cause could be CPU/Motherboard. Can I get confirmation?

OR, did I get a dud card sent out to me, with the exact same issue? what are the odds of that?

Thanks in advance.

Then you have narrowed it down to your motherboard....

My Rig: - Gigabyte Z97 X5 MB / Core i7 4790K @ 4.4Ghz - Water Cooled Coolmaster AIO Loop (Push - Pull Config)/ 8GB Corsair Dominator ram at 2400Mhz / Palit Jetsteam GTX 980 OC edition / 128GB SSD OS / Program Drive + 2 TB hard drive storage / Win 10

It must be your motherboard then if everything else is fine...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Have you tried previous drivers?

My card will black screen with PlanetSide 2. It only happens if I use drivers after 353.30.

I gave up trying to fix it and instead just uninstalled the game and completely removed any left over files.

For me I know it's the drivers as I have another display running from my iGPU which I can use to show the error message.

It's not a race to the bottom.

I get a black screen when I don't have enough memory on my system... Decides to crash the driver (and whatever app is running) and doesn't restore it... It's a nice time when that happens...

Have you tried previous drivers?

For me I know it's the drivers as I have another display running from my iGPU which I can use to show the error message.

I have - I even tried the ones windows installed automatically with the reformat, which were about 7 months old. Unfortunately battlefront won't even launch unless you have the game-ready drivers installed for it. However, that one (november...twenty-something release) doesn't work, and even with the drivers that just came out yesterday - same issue. 

I get a black screen when I don't have enough memory on my system... Decides to crash the driver (and whatever app is running) and doesn't restore it... It's a nice time when that happens...

Video memory or System?  I've got 8GB, But still generally have 2GB free at all times. 

The issue only happens on graphically intense games. Cities skylines and KSP are unaffected. I figured that the card was drawing power from the motherboard and the 8 pin, and the motherboard couldn't deliver. (or does it just pass through via 24pin? or is there some sort of middle man on the motherboard? (regulators, chokes etc)

I have - I even tried the ones windows installed automatically with the reformat, which were about 7 months old. Unfortunately battlefront won't even launch unless you have the game-ready drivers installed for it. However, that one (november...twenty-something release) doesn't work, and even with the drivers that just came out yesterday - same issue. 

Video memory or System?  I've got 8GB, But still generally have 2GB free at all times. 

The issue only happens on graphically intense games. Cities skylines and KSP are unaffected. I figured that the card was drawing power from the motherboard and the 8 pin, and the motherboard couldn't deliver. (or does it just pass through via 24pin? or is there some sort of middle man on the motherboard? (regulators, chokes etc)

System memory, I too have 8GB but I tend to have a little more free by default, except when I run specific programs (Space Engineers took it down 4 times)...

The majority of your GPUs power is being delivered by the 6/8 pin wires that you (should) run from the PSU to the card. The specification of PCIe has a certain amount of power that's delivered through it, but it's not enough for any modern GPUs (although probably still used)

wow. if furmark didnt crap out, i dont think the GPU is at fault.

There will be power delivered to the PCI slots. The GPU will take majority of it from your dual six pin connectors. rule of thumb is that each connection is about 75 watts. i dont understand 8pin gpu connectors enough to advise on that. Im sure your PSU provides enough juice for your components.

I notice you have multi monitors. You want to try to disable nvidia surround if you have it on, in fact just leave just one monitor plugged in? you did mention that only games crash, lets see if that helps.

The motherboard delivers 75 watts through the PCI-e slot.

75 Watts from a 6 pin.

150 watts from an 8 pin.

Those numbers are not exact, but are pretty close. 

It's not a race to the bottom.