SSD Problems!

jewishdolphins
Go to solution Solved by vanished,

Just download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, put it on a USB flash drive, boot that, and install it.

please, just someone please tell me how to install JUST your operating system on an SSD. I tried the mini tool partition program and it keeps saying that my disk drive is too small when my SSD is 240 Gigs and windows 10 is only 20 gigs of space.

Just download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, put it on a USB flash drive, boot that, and install it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Need further explanation.. I'm just about to give up man.

Need further explanation.. I'm just about to give up man.

Download the official Microsoft tool from this page and then follow the instructions.  If I recall correctly, it will guide you through making a bootable flash drive.

Once that's done, restart and boot the flash drive.  You may or may not have to tap a certain key (del, F2, etc.) during POST to tell the computer to load it and not your existing system.

Then follow the instructions for installing Windows.  They've become incredibly simple over the years, so it should be easy to follow.  the most important step is when you see a list of drives/partitions, delete anything there (making sure first there is nothing important on that drive like personal files), create a new one, and hit continue.  It should install to that partition and reboot to your new installation without issues.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Download the official Microsoft tool from this page and then follow the instructions.  If I recall correctly, it will guide you through making a bootable flash drive.

Once that's done, restart and boot the flash drive.  You may or may not have to tap a certain key (del, F2, etc.) during POST to tell the computer to load it and not your existing system.

Then follow the instructions for installing Windows.  They've become incredibly simple over the years, so it should be easy to follow.  the most important step is when you see a list of drives/partitions, delete anything there (making sure first there is nothing important on that drive like personal files), create a new one, and hit continue.  It should install to that partition and reboot to your new installation without issues.

Man, I wish i was better at this. I have literally been sitting here for nearly 5 hours with two of my friends trying to figure this out. If you could make a skype call with me, you have no idea how much faster this crap would be. But of course, you'll prob say no since it's thanksgiving, and we are on a damn forum. I appreciate the help man. But I might have to return this if i don't find a solution.

Man, I wish i was better at this. I have literally been sitting here for nearly 5 hours with two of my friends trying to figure this out. If you could make a skype call with me, you have no idea how much faster this crap would be. But of course, you'll prob say no since it's thanksgiving, and we are on a damn forum. I appreciate the help man. But I might have to return this if i don't find a solution.

What stage are you at?

What stage are you at?

Well I got the thing you sent me on a external passport storage thing. Now I tried going into my bios, but i have no clue on what to do. I don't get why I would load the thing in my passport, rather than loading my SSD or something. My friend is telling me that my best option would be to get a key for windows 10 off of a website or something. 

Well I got the thing you sent me on a external passport storage thing. Now I tried going into my bios, but i have no clue on what to do. I don't get why I would load the thing in my passport, rather than loading my SSD or something. My friend is telling me that my best option would be to get a key for windows 10 off of a website or something. 

Well then you're not ready to use a key yet.  I assume you've already had windows on that machine and upgraded to 10 so a licence has already been created.  If that's the case, you'll be able to just install it and go.  If not, yes you will have to have a key.  But before any of that matters, you'll have to look for something to the effect of a boot priority menu.  You need to pick the external drive, or set it to the top of the list.  The installer will boot off of that drive so you can install your system.

Well then you're not ready to use a key yet.  I assume you've already had windows on that machine and upgraded to 10 so a licence has already been created.  If that's the case, you'll be able to just install it and go.  If not, yes you will have to have a key.  But before any of that matters, you'll have to look for something to the effect of a boot priority menu.  You need to pick the external drive, or set it to the top of the list.  The installer will boot off of that drive so you can install your system.

omg you are a wizard! The first part is completely correct. I had windows 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10. In this case, can you run step by step how to get the OS on the SSD? I'm sorry if im so slow. I'm new to this stuff. Just type like if i am a 2 year old man. 

omg you are a wizard! The first part is completely correct. I had windows 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10. In this case, can you run step by step how to get the OS on the SSD? I'm sorry if im so slow. I'm new to this stuff. Just type like if i am a 2 year old man. 

well that's great news.  You won't need to go looking around for keys or anything like that.

First off though, we still need to boot the installer you put on your external drive.  I'll assume downloading and running that tool went fine and it has created a bootable installer on the external drive.  If not, that's step 1.  And make sure you run the tool - just dropping that file on the drive won't do it; it has to download and setup the installer.

If that's all good, then reboot.  In the brief moments between it turning off and starting windows back up, you'll need to enter the BIOS or at least pick a boot menu option.  Like I said I'm not sure exactly what key that is since it varies by system but it sounds like you already figured that out (?)

If you're in the BIOS, could you tell me if it happens to look remotely like the following?

ASUS-EFI-01.jpg

If so, you'll want to hit F8 and pick your external drive from the list.  That should bring you to the installer where it can install Windows 10 on your SSD.

well that's great news.  You won't need to go looking around for keys or anything like that.

First off though, we still need to boot the installer you put on your external drive.  I'll assume downloading and running that tool went fine and it has created a bootable installer on the external drive.  If not, that's step 1.  And make sure you run the tool - just dropping that file on the drive won't do it; it has to download and setup the installer.

If that's all good, then reboot.  In the brief moments between it turning off and starting windows back up, you'll need to enter the BIOS or at least pick a boot menu option.  Like I said I'm not sure exactly what key that is since it varies by system but it sounds like you already figured that out (?)

If you're in the BIOS, could you tell me if it happens to look remotely like the following?

ASUS-EFI-01.jpg

If so, you'll want to hit F8 and pick your external drive from the list.  That should bring you to the installer where it can install Windows 10 on your SSD.

May god bless your soul mate. I didn't think this post would go anywhere, but now I feel like you are my only hope left, so just hang tight for a while and i will do everything u just said. I won't take super long. If you want to, instead of the skype thing u could add me on steam or something so we can have easier, back and forth convos. If not, once again, no biggy. 

May god bless your soul mate. I didn't think this post would go anywhere, but now I feel like you are my only hope left, so just hang tight for a while and i will do everything u just said. I won't take super long. If you want to, instead of the skype thing u could add me on steam or something so we can have easier, back and forth convos. If not, once again, no biggy. 

Well actually I really have to go for now (it's getting quite late here) but I'll stick with this until you've got it figured out, even if it takes a few days :)

So, any progress?  Can you tell me if your BIOS looks anything like the image I posted, and if you managed to pick your external drive from the boot menu?