New ethernet cable not working!

BeyondRico

Hi there,

so recently i made a cable from downstairs to my room upstairs. i am from europe so i needed the b standard.

I plugged al the collord cables in position, after i did this up and downstairs i tested the cable with a cable tester. this device showed me that the cable was working properly, so i mounted the keystones on a wall mounted bracket and closed it up. connected the main cable to the router and connected my pc on the other end.

when i do this it makes connection and after 15 sec it disconnects and says there is no cable detected.

this is the second time i connected the cable to the keystone to make sure they are all on the good position.

Also my ethernet adapter is working fine tested it with another ethernet connection.

does one of you guys know what is causing this problem or a fix?

My Red/Black rig: CM Storm Trooper Window - i5 4690K - Asus GTX 980 Strix DCU - Asus VII Formula z97 - Corsair H100i - 16GB Vengeance pro 2400MHz -Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(os) - Seagate barracuda 2TB - crucial BX200 250GB SSD - Cooler Master v850.----  Dell XPS 13: i5-5500u - 256GB SSD - 8GB DDR3L.

Hi there,

so recently i made a cable from downstairs to my room upstairs. i am from europe so i needed the b standard.

I plugged al the collord cables in position, after i did this up and downstairs i tested the cable with a cable tester. this device showed me that the cable was working properly, so i mounted the keystones on a wall mounted bracket and closed it up. connected the main cable to the router and connected my pc on the other end.

when i do this it makes connection and after 15 sec it disconnects and says there is no cable detected.

this is the second time i connected the cable to the keystone to make sure they are all on the good position.

Also my ethernet adapter is working fine tested it with another ethernet connection.

does one of you guys know what is causing this problem or a fix?

Are you sure the crimps are good? I have seen this issue happen with bad crimps.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Are you sure the crimps are good? I have seen this issue happen with bad crimps.

they are keystones so i needed to punch them in there with a lsa tool.

and the cable tester gives me good results so i am pretty sure the cables are connected properly

My Red/Black rig: CM Storm Trooper Window - i5 4690K - Asus GTX 980 Strix DCU - Asus VII Formula z97 - Corsair H100i - 16GB Vengeance pro 2400MHz -Samsung 850 Pro 256GB(os) - Seagate barracuda 2TB - crucial BX200 250GB SSD - Cooler Master v850.----  Dell XPS 13: i5-5500u - 256GB SSD - 8GB DDR3L.

and the cable tester gives me good results so i am pretty sure the cables are connected properly

Ok so you have a cable going from your jack to the PC, have you tried testing it. Also, wiggle the cable while your testing, i have seen drops

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Ok so you have a cable going from your jack to the PC, have you tried testing it. Also, wiggle the cable while your testing, i have seen drops

oke i will do that one moment please

yes this cable is also working

Just try redoing the terminating the cable again, if you are using a Krone tool or a similar looking knock off they have a really handy hook inside the handle that flips out. Use that to pull the wires out of the mec.

Edit - If you are unsure, you could post a picture of your termination and I may be able to see if there are any obvious issues.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

double check your connection to make sure you didnt make a crossover cable or some shit(did this by accident more than once, which is weird since i always use type b)

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just try redoing the terminating the cable again, if you are using a Krone tool or a similar looking knock off they have a really handy hook inside the handle that flips out. Use that to pull the wires out of the mec.

Edit - If you are unsure, you could post a picture of your termination and I may be able to see if there are any obvious issues.

it lookt strange on the way the colors are aligned. but the number beneath them are correct. so don't mind them

post-164592-0-00202100-1448383462_thumb.

post-164592-0-75827900-1448383464_thumb.

it looks strange on the way the colors are aligned. but the number beneath them are correct. so don't mind them

It could be too much crosstalk since the wires are not twisted all the way to the end. When I first started cabling I was taught to terminate each wire pair like this. Ignore the difference in the mec and such, just take note of how the wires are twisted up until they are punched down. Try terminating the cable like that and it may work.

Also what are you using to test your cable?

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

It could be too much crosstalk since the wires are not twisted all the way to the end. When I first started cabling I was taught to terminate each wire pair like this. Ignore the difference in the mec and such, just take note of how the wires are twisted up until they are punched down. Try terminating the cable like that and it may work.

Also what are you using to test your cable?

I am using this device: Master NS-468

it is also the second time i connected the cables to the keystone, last time i made it like you told, same results.

I am using this device: Master NS-468

it is also the second time i connected the cables to the keystone, last time i made it like you told, same results.

Ok, just to be sure, when you terminated the cable a second time did you cut the end off and start again or did you twist the wire pairs together and punch them down?

What mecs are you using? I have had it happen to me on several occasions where it was a brand new mec that was faulty. You could try terminating the cable using the other currently unused side.

When you say it was the same result, you mean that your cable tester said the cable was all good but your PC still disconnected shortly after?

Spoiler

Ok, just to be sure, when you terminated the cable a second time did you cut the end off and start again or did you twist the wire pairs together and punch them down?

What mecs are you using? I have had it happen to me on several occasions where it was a brand new mec that was faulty. You could try terminating the cable using the other currently unused side.

When you say it was the same result, you mean that your cable tester said the cable was all good but your PC still disconnected shortly after?

yes i cut the end off and started again, i don't know what mecs are too be honest. and yes the cable tester said the cable was all good but my PC still disconnected shortly after

yes i cut the end off and started again, i don't know what mecs are too be honest. and yes the cable tester said the cable was all good but my PC still disconnected shortly after

Ah, mec is short for mechanism as in the thing you punch the wire into (they normally look something like this), at least in Australia that is what we commonly call them. Sorry for any confusion.

Spoiler

Ah, mec is short for mechanism as in the thing you punch the wire into (they normally look something like this), at least in Australia that is what we commonly call them. Sorry for any confusion.

i don't have loose keystones they are already mounted in the bracket that goes inside my wall

it looks like this:

post-164592-0-34649600-1448387014_thumb.

and in here i punch the cables:

post-164592-0-96017400-1448387112_thumb.

i don't have loose keystones they are already mounted in the bracket that goes inside my wall

it looks like this:

Are you just using one cable or do you have two runs? From your original post and the previous picture showing one cable terminated I assumed that you are only using one cable from your downstairs room to your upstairs room. If I am wrong please let me know, it is about 4am for me so I may have missed something or misinterpreted something.

If you only have the one cable run you could try using the other keystone that (appears) to be unused as it may be faulty. If that turns out not to work then I will think of something else sometime later today after I get some sleep.

Spoiler

Are you just using one cable or do you have two runs? From your original post and the previous picture showing one cable terminated I assumed that you are only using one cable from your downstairs room to your upstairs room. If I am wrong please let me know, it is about 4am for me so I may have missed something or misinterpreted something.

If you only have the one cable run you could try using the other keystone that (appears) to be unused as it may be faulty. If that turns out not to work then I will think of something else sometime later today after I get some sleep.

Sorry for the late respons, i tried to change to the other keystone same results.

Sorry for the late response, i tried to change to the other keystone same results.

Hmm, that seems really weird. I'm sorry but without being there in person I can't really think of anything else that could be causing issues, are there any electrical cables near where you have run the network cable? The device you are using to test the cable only detects a signal from each wire and doesn't actually check the quality of the signal, so it is possible that there could be some strong interference.

Spoiler

How long is the cable?

Length wouldn't be an issue unless he has over 100 metres of cat6 in his walls, which besides being expensive would also be extremely unlikely.

Spoiler

Length wouldn't be an issue unless he has over 100 metres of cat6 in his walls, which besides being expensive would also be extremely unlikely.

yeah the cable is about 3 meter long, so this should not be a problem.

And about the electrical cables they are about 1 meter away from the cable so i think this isn't a problem aswell.

I think i will contact the company where i bought the keystones, to change the product to a working one.

Anyways thank you for helping me so far.

It doesn't sound like he has it in the wall. Instead has it either on the floor or routed around walls and ceilings.

If it's routed around door frames and ceilings and depending how big the house is then that can eat a huge chunk of cable.

Now I'm not saying it's 100m of cable, but that's why I asked the question rather than guessing.

It's not a race to the bottom.

yeah the cable is about 3 meter long, so this should not be a problem.

And about the electrical cables they are about 1 meter away from the cable so i think this isn't a problem aswell.

I think i will contact the company where i bought the keystones, to change the product to a working one.

Anyways thank you for helping me so far.

Hopefully it is just a faulty keystone since you seem to have done everything right according to what you have posted.

Good luck.

Spoiler

Hopefully it is just a faulty keystone since you seem to have done everything right according to what you have posted.

Good luck.

Thank you very much,

I hope its a faulty keystone as well.