GPU Cooling Improvement

ColdDigital

Hey,

My gpu is running pretty hot when gaming, I had this planned already before. I was planning to either mount a nzxt x31 with a nzxt gpu block on my gpu --- or--- get 3 noctua nff12' and replace them with the current 3 stock 120mm intake fans that come with my case. I am using a H440 NZXT case. On my NZXT Kraken X61 i am using 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX intake for my CPU. As exhaust at the back I have the normal stock one that comes with the case.

I would do a custom loop but neither do I know how to do it, neither do I want to risk damaging my components which I already spent a heck lot of money on. 

Whats best for my situation?

Thanks

<-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><----->

Cold

I definitely think that mounting an AIO water cooler to a GPU is a great Idea. I have no regrets about modding my 760 with a corsair H55, but make sure you have taken into consideration cooling the VRMs. without some sort of heatsink, the VRMs that power the core will die a slow death, and even a fan isn't a proper solution. I zip-tied a MosFET heatsink from an old motherboard to the MosFETs on the GPU (with a thermal pad in between) and with good airflow over the heatsink the surface temp is around 70C. without good airflow even with a big heatsink that was designed to be passive, the surface temp of the heatsink was 102C at load, which means the mosfets themselves were even hotter than that (they are rated for 100+ degree operation, usually around 125C, but can get there easily without a heatsink of some sort.

keep in mind, my setup with "the Mod" is a DIY mounting solution, but it worked pretty amazingly.

I would say that unless you have the money to replace the entire system if needed, do not make a custom loop. I would recommend the bracket corsair offers for mounting AIO's however. It does not require a backplate for the CPU cooler so if your card came with a backplate you can keep it on there. Also, the included fan on the bracket could be much more effective at cooling the VRMs and VRAM modules since it appears the bracket includes a mounting plate that actually makes contact with the modules.

Apologies for my horrible formatting.

Hey,

My gpu is running pretty hot when gaming, I had this planned already before. I was planning to either mount a nzxt x31 with a nzxt gpu block on my gpu --- or--- get 3 noctua nff12' and replace them with the current 3 stock 120mm intake fans that come with my case. I am using a H440 NZXT case. On my NZXT Kraken X61 i am using 2 Noctua NF-A14 FLX intake for my CPU. As exhaust at the back I have the normal stock one that comes with the case.

I would do a custom loop but neither do I know how to do it, neither do I want to risk damaging my components which I already spent a heck lot of money on. 

Whats best for my situation?

Thanks

What GPU and what cooler?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/