In interesting project.

JayCumming

So I have a project I'd like some help with.

The idea is building a compact PC into a small case, ideally around 50-30-15cm in dimensions that is as powerful as possible, for below 1500$ CAD.

What I'd like help with specifically is parts, like graphics cards and power supply.

The idea isn't even in alpha phase yet, and the reasoning behind it is a computer that's affordable for most people without sacrificing performance or price.

A few graphics cards I'm looking at are the GTX 960 series (my own computer can run current titles and has a 560) specifically one such as the ASUS GeForce 960 Strix OC 1253MHZ 2GB 7.2GHX GDDR5 DVI HDMI 3xDisplayPort PCI-E Video Card (I'm looking at it listed on NCIX http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-geforce-gtx-960-strix-c5-105121.htm) but I am a N00B when it comes to computer parts. Again, the idea is best value for lowest price. Meaning that ideally you don't have insane top of the line parts like the GTX Titan X series.

Also, with things like memory and hard-drive, I personally don't think a solidstate is a good idea (I don't have a very good experience with my solidstates) and it would probably be a good idea to cram as much RAM and HardDrive space in there, because the idea is an affordable gaming PC.

(Also on a side note, I am looking to upgrade my PC with higher-end hardware, like the aforementioned GTX Titan X, because I'm going to need it for engineering school come 2020/21, and I'd like some advice on that as well, because I am a N00B by my own admittance, I mean I'm only a casual Gamer in highschool. I didn't know anything about parts or benchmarks until earlier this year when I started seriously modding and working with 3D modeling software in the building of my own game, so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Also the whole idea behind the compact gaming PC is for a CAS project for IB. I want to see some of the issues with a teeny case like that overcome with some abstract thinking. Like maybe cables linking the Graphics cards to the motherboard offering more flexibility and better cooling capacity, especially if more than one is used? I specifically wanted a small case so that these problems would come up and could be solved creatively by me and my friends who are into PC gaming and parts)

Thanks for even clicking on this. I tend to be vague in the titles of my posts.

If this was incorrectly placed in the forum, sorry :3 I meant no ill.

Moved to New Builds and Planning.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($828.97 @ DirectCanada) 

Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($49.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada) 

Total: $1529.34

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-19 20:54 EST-0500

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($828.97 @ DirectCanada) 
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($49.98 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Total: $1529.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-19 20:54 EST-0500

Pretty strong build, but does that 980Ti actually fit :o

Also could save more by getting H or B series mobo as he wont need Z series with a locked CPU

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Also could save more by getting H or B series mobo as he wont need Z series with a locked CPU

The case supports GPUs up to 343mm. That GPU is 280mm.

The aren't many good H or B series Mini-ITX boards that compete with the Gigabyte board. I think it's a good choice.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

The case supports GPUs up to 343mm. That GPU is 280mm.

Damn long GPU support for a tiny case. Also that GPU is like 298mm according to Gigabytes website, PCPP must have got the wrong size. (I checked because 280 sounded way too short for a 3x windforce cooler hehe)

The aren't many good H or B series Mini-ITX boards that compete with the Gigabyte board. I think it's a good choice.

Fair enough! :D

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW