Fallout 4 performance issues

hello
I purchased fallout 4 a week ago and I'm stuck at about 20fps when in the commonwealth (or big areas), or when I move my mouse fast.
when playing fallout 4 there is nothing else than steam and essential processes running. but I wonder if my RAM or CPU is the bottleneck or if it's just the fact that the game is not optimized.

I've tweaked the bForceIgnoreSmoothnes and the max fps, and I'm running in wondowed borderless @ 1080p.

PC specs: HDD: seagate Barracuda 1TB

CPU: AMD A6-4700k watercooled with the cooler master seidon 120mm

GPU: gigabyte nvidida geforce 750 ti 2GB windforce

RAM: 2xCorsair Vengance 1333MHz 4GB kit  

m/b: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI  

Please come with suggestions to improve the performance. Thanks!

hello

I purchased fallout 4 a week ago and I'm stuck at about 20fps when in the commonwealth (or big areas), or when I move my mouse fast.

when playing fallout 4 there is nothing else than steam and essential processes running. but I wonder if my RAM or CPU is the bottleneck or if it's just the fact that the game is not optimized.

I've tweaked the bForceIgnoreSmoothnes and the max fps, and I'm running in wondowed borderless @ 1080p.

PC specs: HDD: seagate Barracuda 1TB

CPU: AMD A6-4700k watercooled with the cooler master seidon 120mm

GPU: gigabyte nvidida geforce 750 ti 2GB windforce

RAM: 2xCorsair Vengance 1333MHz 4GB kit  

m/b: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI  

Is the ram 2x4 or 2x2? What settings are you playing with?

[CPU] i5-650 [GPU] MSI GTX 750 OC [RAM] Generic 6GB [MOBO] MS-7613 [HDD] WD Blue 1TB [PSU] Silverstone Strider Essential 500W [Next build Q1 2016 http://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Presmo/saved/ ]

Please follow your own topics.

Game requires a decently powerful CPU. The one you have may not be good enough to sustain the performance you want.

Digital Foundry - Source - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

"You need to be careful about CPU benchmarks for the title you might see - the game can be very light on utilisation in many areas, but in detail intensive environments or in combat with many enemies in the arena, Fallout 4 can dip beneath 60fps even on our our overclocked i7.

Reaching 60fps in easy with virtually any modern processor, but sustaining it across a run of play is highly challenging."

"Fallout 4 seems to have a very complex relationship with the CPU, and areas with intense detail are just as likely to cause issues for your processor as they are for your graphics card."

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Its kind of your whole PC

4gb of ram is not enough for AAA gaming anymore, so thats the first thing I would upgrade

Your CPU and GPU are not very strong so I would turn the setting down low

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

-Snip-

Question, cos you'd prob know and I can't remember.

:P

Doesn't borderless usually underperform a little when up against proper fullscreen?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I can make an assumption that its your cpu, apparently that CPU is kinda low end if you asked me, if you have an A8 or A10 amd processor and an FX 4300 or 6300 I think you will have no problem running the game

Intel Core i5 - 6400 <> Msi B150A Gaming Pro <> Msi Gtx 970 Gaming <> G.Skill Ripjaw 4 16Gb DDR4 2400mhz

<> Corsair CX500M <> 160 & 250 Seagate HDD <> Aerocool Strike X (Casing) <>

Doesn't borderless usually underperform a little when up against proper fullscreen?

I think so (idk) never use it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That depends on the game. Some perform better in borderless, others perform better in full screen.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

-Snip-

Got my answer above, no need for this reply no more.

OP - Lower resolution & details if need be to gain some performance back... but the system you have may just not be playable at all with those parts.

Is the ram 2x4 or 2x2? What settings are you playing with?

two sticks with 4 gigs each. playing on the lowest possible

4gb of ram is not enough for AAA gaming anymore, so thats the first thing I would upgrade

Game requires a decently powerful CPU. The one you have may not be good enough to sustain the performance you want.

Digital Foundry - Source - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

"You need to be careful about CPU benchmarks for the title you might see - the game can be very light on utilisation in many areas, but in detail intensive environments or in combat with many enemies in the arena, Fallout 4 can dip beneath 60fps even on our our overclocked i7.

Reaching 60fps in easy with virtually any modern processor, but sustaining it across a run of play is highly challenging."

"Fallout 4 seems to have a very complex relationship with the CPU, and areas with intense detail are just as likely to cause issues for your processor as they are for your graphics card."

I had a feeling that might be it. thanks

well, I have 8GB. and my GPU is fine for most, nut the CPU might be very weak

I can make an assumption that its your cpu, apparently that CPU is kinda low end if you asked me, if you have an A8 or A10 amd processor and an FX 4300 or 6300 I think you will have no problem running the game

I suspect the same. I bought it on sale for 10 USD

I saw an increase in fps when running in borderless windowed

-Snip-

Got my answer above, no need for this reply no more.

OP - Lower resolution & details if need be to gain some performance back... but the system you have may just not be playable at all with those parts.

I'm gonna try to run in fullscreen at 720p. and save up for a new CPU. thanks for the help

YOu need more than 4gb of ram and a 750ti isnt going to run fallout 4 maxed out or close to maxed out

YOu need more than 4gb of ram and a 750ti isnt going to run fallout 4 maxed out or close to maxed out

I have 8GB. it should be... It can run BF3 on high with 60+fps (with a good CPU of course.)

I have 8GB. it should be... It can run BF3 on high with 60+fps (with a good CPU of course.)

Yea fallout4 is a lot more demanding than bf3 is...

I dont think that buying a game in less dollars is any different than other game if the game is what you are referring to by 10$, as you can see your cpu is good for online games not triple A titles

Intel Core i5 - 6400 <> Msi B150A Gaming Pro <> Msi Gtx 970 Gaming <> G.Skill Ripjaw 4 16Gb DDR4 2400mhz

I dont think that buying a game in less dollars is any different than other game if the game is what you are referring to by 10$, as you can see your cpu is good for online games not triple A titles

the CPU was 10$.the game was 57,86$.

the CPU was 10$.the game was 57,86$.

Well if you really want to play triple A games u might considering an i3 haswell or a A10 5700k Amd processor

Well if you really want to play triple A games u might considering an i3 haswell or a A10 5700k Amd processor

gonna try to score a x4 the 27.november. I can't afford a new mobo so, intel is not an option.

gonna try to score a x4 the 27.november. I can't afford a new mobo so, intel is not an option.

that will be fine too :D