Define R4 fans loud at 12V when mounted

Lauen

I find that the fans in my Define R4 makes quite a lot of sound when they're running at 12 volts. And I think it's even worse when I put ON the sidepanel.

I am using the stock fans, 2 x 140mm in the front, and one 140mm in the back. but if I disconnect the ones in the front, and just hold the one in the back in my hands, out of the case, it barely makes a noise at all. 

though I am mostly running the fans at 7 volts for it to be quite silent, and yet have decent cooling, I am just wondering why it makes so much noise? 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

because they are running at full speed, just leave them on 7 volts

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

because they are running at full speed, just leave them on 7 volts

that doesn't explain much about the fact that I can barely hear a fan if I hold it in my hands while running it at 12 volts, instead of having it mounted in the case? 

that doesn't explain much about the fact that I can barely hear a fan if I hold it in my hands while running it at 12 volts, instead of having it mounted in the case? 

maybe they are vibrating

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Because of the honeycomb grill. Every fan's like that. The way they "pull" air in is affected by the case. If you put something like a filter in between your case and the fans, it'll sound much better.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Because of the honeycomb grill. Every fan's like that. The way they "pull" air in is affected by the case. If you put something like a filter in between your case and the fans, it'll sound much better.

maybe they are vibrating

What if I tried using the soft-mount for the fan in the back of the case? 

What if I tried using the soft-mount for the fan in the back of the case? 

Not sure what you mean by that.

Here's a video explaining what I'm talking just in case you've misunderstood what I said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4B82yQRUQc

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

Not sure what you mean by that.

Here's a video explaining what I'm talking just in case you've misunderstood what I said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4B82yQRUQc

The soft mounts would increase the distance a little, which might make it a little less noisy. but I've had trouble actually getting the fan to stick to them, so for now I'll leave the fans at 7 volts, and see if there's something to do some other time. 

The soft mounts would increase the distance a little, which might make it a little less noisy. but I've had trouble actually getting the fan to stick to them, so for now I'll leave the fans at 7 volts, and see if there's something to do some other time. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999217

I personally use this which go in between the fan mount and my fan. I use long rubber fan mounts though since regular fan screws are too short.

Probably because of fractals strange plastic contraption that the fans mount to. It's probably vibrating like crazy with both fans at 12v.

It is caused by the way fans work and the sound profile when they are put up against a restrictive panel thing, in this case the honeycomb mesh. You could try better fans or just get the Silverstone AP123.

I find that the fans in my Define R4 makes quite a lot of sound when they're running at 12 volts. And I think it's even worse when I put ON the sidepanel.

I am using the stock fans, 2 x 140mm in the front, and one 140mm in the back. but if I disconnect the ones in the front, and just hold the one in the back in my hands, out of the case, it barely makes a noise at all.

though I am mostly running the fans at 7 volts for it to be quite silent, and yet have decent cooling, I am just wondering why it makes so much noise?

You could replace the stock fans with Bitfenix Spectre Pros or Silverstone APs and couple those with a 7V cable