Bridged conection

MrSushi

Hello.

I have recently had an issue with connection. I dont have wifi reciever on my desktop pc but i can connect to wifi on my notebook. I need to be connected on my desktop pc so i tried to bridge wifi and the ethernet port on my notebook. Then i connected these 2 devices with ethernet cable. Everything seems to be fine but when i get onto my desktop pc there is this (!) displayed on the network thingy and there is no connection to the internet at all. Can you please help me solve this problem? I have auto-mdix on my ethernet ports.

Thank you very much for replying.

I am sorry that did not work for you. I may have gotten something wrong since that was awhile ago I bridged them. Do you know what model that MSI laptop is ?

You can try changing the gateway to your routers lan side ip. For instance, if you type 192.168.1.1 to get into your routers page, put that in the gatewayMrSushi. I am pretty sure that it has to be the ip of the laptop, but it was awhile so it might've been wrong. if that doesn't work, you may have to manually specify the IP address of your desktop and or tyour ISPs DNS server. If my son's old laptop was working ATM, I'd hook it up with you and find out.

I am sorry that did not work for you. I may have gotten something wrong since that was awhile ago I bridged them. Do you know what model that MSI laptop is ?

You can try changing the gateway to your routers lan side ip. For instance, if you type 192.168.1.1 to get into your routers page, put that in the gatewayMrSushi. I am pretty sure that it has to be the ip of the laptop, but it was awhile so it might've been wrong. if that doesn't work, you may have to manually specify the IP address of your desktop and or tyour ISPs DNS server. If my son's old laptop was working ATM, I'd hook it up with you and find out.

i appreciate the way you help me today a lot 

I forgot about this checbox:

https://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-share-wi-fi-in-windows-8-with-internet-connection-sharing-ics/

Check the box to enable sharing under the sharing tab on the laptop. It says to allow other users to connect threough this computers internet connection. Our internet is being weird and won't uploasd the pic, wait :

here :

sharenet_1.jpg

Here it is on my personal desktop under Win 10:

do that and forget the Gateway for now :) Sorry 'bout forgetting that part !

i appreciate the way you help me today a lot 

I had to do that exact thing because that old laptop i mentioned did not have wifi drivers and it needed internet, so I was glad to save you all the hassle I had to go through, or at least most of it.

I had to do that exact thing because that old laptop i mentioned did not have wifi drivers and it needed internet, so I was glad to save you all the hassle I had to go through, or at least most of it.

when i try to bridge connection now it says i need two high speed connections that are not being used by internet connection sharing

You just need to undo internet connection sharing. Try to go into the ethernet connection and check the box, unless when it's bridged it won't let you, it should though.