Do i need an aftermarket cooler?

jeraldcandelario

Hi, i just wanna ask if i need an aftermarket cooler like hyper 212 for this build. Note that i wont oc the cpu (bc i cant) anyway here's the specs:

ASUS B85M GAMER MOTHERBOARD

Intel Core i5-4460 CPU

2x4gb GSkills Ripjaw X 1600mhz RAM

GTX 970 GPU

Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 CHASSIS

Corsair CX600M PSU

Samsung 850 EVO 120gb

Corsair AF120 Fans x4 for maximum airflow

the only faul of stock cooler is the noise, it is pretty bad when gaming... I think you should concider ordering 212 evo after setting up you computer and testing the noise levels.

If you're not overclocking, the only thing an aftermarket cooler will bring is (potentially) less noise. Keep in mind that the loudest part in your system will probably be the GPU, so I'd wait with buying a new CPU cooler until you've checked out what the noise level at stock is. If you can live with it, there's no point in spending money on a different cooler.

PS: the PSU you have there can be a bit noisy. I'm running a CX600 (non-M), and the fan of it rattled a bit (not louder than a couple hard drive, though). Since my system was completely silent except for the PSU, I ended up switching the PSU fan for a Noctua one.

If you're not overclocking, the only thing an aftermarket cooler will bring is (potentially) less noise. Keep in mind that the loudest part in your system will probably be the GPU, so I'd wait with buying a new CPU cooler until you've checked out what the noise level at stock is. If you can live with it, there's no point in spending money on a different cooler.

PS: the PSU you have there can be a bit noisy. I'm running a CX600 (non-M), and the fan of it rattled a bit (not louder than a couple hard drive, though). Since my system was completely silent except for the PSU, I ended up switching the PSU fan for a Noctua one.

Thanks dor that info. But i'm more worried about the temps though, in a stock cpu cooler what is the normal temps when loading games? I mostly play gta v, 2k16, etc.

So what are the alternative psu's you'd recommend? Is Seasonic better than Corsair when it comes to psu?

Thanks dor that info. But i'm more worried about the temps though, in a stock cpu cooler what is the normal temps when loading games? I mostly play gta v, 2k16, etc.

So what are the alternative psu's you'd recommend? Is Seasonic better than Corsair when it comes to psu?

212 for quieter and better cooling

stock cooler is totally crap 

and for 30$ its worth it to invest in a better cooler..unless the budget is so tight you can't

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

212 for quieter and better cooling

stock cooler is totally crap 

and for 30$ its worth it to invest in a better cooler..unless the budget is so tight you can't

100% agreed

The stock heatsink is perfectly capable of keeping your CPU cool at stock clocks, otherwise Intel wouldn't deliver it with its CPUs ;)

A CPU will run quite happily between 60 and 70 degrees Celsius. Your processor's spec sheet lists the maximum temperature as measured at the heat spreader to be just over 72 degrees C, so your actual core temperature is allowed to go higher than that.

On the forum, there's a general "no corsair CX PSU is good" attitude, but I'm quite happy with all the CX's I've bought and are still running. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a different PSU, I'm just letting you know that the fan on most CX's can rattle a bit. I'd happily buy a CX series again.

The prevailing consensus is that you can't go wrong with a Seasonic power supply, but I'd recommend you read up on a specific PSU's review at Jonny Guru.

If you are going for a silent build I would recommend corsair RM series or other PSU:s where the fan is running only on high power usage.