Any improvements I could make on my network?

iamdarkyoshi
I have updated my network stuff. 

Nothing in my home is hardwired for ethernet. So my PC has a cable running under my closet door, and inside the closet is this:

post-128204-0-15875300-1447647486_thumb.

The setup here is on a piece of chipboard hanging from my closet's shelf as mounting things to the wall with screws, tape, or superglue is frowned upon by the one who must be obeyed. Running out of this "panel" is the cable for the cable modem, the ethernet going to the AP, and ethernet for my brother's PC. Everything is connected to the gigabit netgear switch, which I had to bodge a fan into to keep it from throttling!

Handling the wireless here is not the crappy router, but a Cisco Aironet 1250 Series AP.

post-128204-0-03934600-1447647478_thumb.

This is mounted right on the other side of my closet wall, in the loft area upstairs. The blue ethernet cable is the one running to my brother's PC.

The wireless here extends beyond my backyard, and the AP is upstairs in the loft, which is on the front of the house.

My dad's PC and my grandmother's PC are both connected to spare routers with DDWRT firmware, which allows the router to act as a wireless adapter. Both of these "wireless adapters" are connected to the main AP. Speeds here are not stellar, but 30mbps is still good enough for web browsing, but my dad's PC is the mediaserver, (well, it was) and everything upstairs will eventually have proper ethernet run through the attic and into my closet.

How much would getting a new router help, considering that the existing one is (probably) not even gigabit? My ISP speeds are 60+mbps down and 4.5mbps up. Literally the only things plugged into the router is the switch and the modem (WAN) and its wireless is not being used. And I want one with DDWRT support for FreeDNS.

Seems decent enough.  If everybody is getting good enough signal, and wifi speeds are acceptable, don't worry about it.  For computers with low signal, consider getting a better antenna to boost the signal.  You can get external wifi antennas that work really well.  Also be sure to check wifi congestion in your house.  If there is a ton of traffic on 2.5ghz, check 5ghz.  Fancy routers with high wifi speeds don't make much difference if your ISP connection is only 60 mbps. 

Seems decent enough.  If everybody is getting good enough signal, and wifi speeds are acceptable, don't worry about it.  For computers with low signal, consider getting a better antenna to boost the signal.  You can get external wifi antennas that work really well.  Also be sure to check wifi congestion in your house.  If there is a ton of traffic on 2.5ghz, check 5ghz.  Fancy routers with high wifi speeds don't make much difference if your ISP connection is only 60 mbps. 

yah and I am not using the router for wireless anyway. Now that I think of it, I should turn off its radio... And everything but my grandmother's PC will be hardwired given enough time...

yah and I am not using the router for wireless anyway. Now that I think of it, I should turn off its radio... And everything but my grandmother's PC will be hardwired given enough time...

Yup, that is the way to go.  I have a similar setup.  I have hard wired everything that can be wired, and leave wifi open for mobile devices.  Disable wifi radio on the crappy modem, and keep an eye on wifi congestion.  Does your AP support 5ghz?  Devices that will normally be near the AP can use 5ghz, which will free up 2.4ghz channels for other stuff.  

Yup, that is the way to go.  I have a similar setup.  I have hard wired everything that can be wired, and leave wifi open for mobile devices.  Disable wifi radio on the crappy modem, and keep an eye on wifi congestion.  Does your AP support 5ghz?  Devices that will normally be near the AP can use 5ghz, which will free up 2.4ghz channels for other stuff.

If I buy a 5ghz radio for it. It currently only has the 2.4ghz radio installed.

If I buy a 5ghz radio for it. It currently only has the 2.4ghz radio installed.

Well you might not need it.  download wifi analyzer on your phone and just look at what signals you can see at various parts of your house.  If there are a lot of overlapping signals, then it might be worth considering 5ghz.  Just keep in mind 5ghz does not pass through walls as well as 2.4 ghz.