R9 390 or Gtx 970

so i understand that the Sapphire R9 390 is a pretty awesome card... and i'm learning towards that, although i do have thoughts about the 970 (i don't know which manufacturer i would go with if i were to buy it)

my question is about the drivers though... i've heard that the AMD drivers don't come out as quickly, and they're a more clunky, or harder to work with or something.
is there any truth to this? i'm only going off of what my friends tell me, and i'm sure that they're biased in one way or an other.

also, is one of these cards easier to overclock than the other? i've never tried to overclock before, i've never even had a performance GPU before. so i'd feel more inclined to get the card that's easier for a complete idiot (like me) to overclock and keep up-to-date with drivers, etc.

so i understand that the Sapphire R9 390 is a pretty awesome card... and i'm learning towards that, although i do have thoughts about the 970 (i don't know which manufacturer i would go with if i were to buy it)

my question is about the drivers though... i've heard that the AMD drivers don't come out as quickly, and they're a more clunky, or harder to work with or something.

is there any truth to this? i'm only going off of what my friends tell me, and i'm sure that they're biased in one way or an other.

also, is one of these cards easier to overclock than the other? i've never tried to overclock before, i've never even had a performance GPU before. so i'd feel more inclined to get the card that's easier for a complete idiot (like me) to overclock and keep up-to-date with drivers, etc.

Funnily enough - Currently AMD's drivers are more stable than Nvidia's - working with both is simply - download and install. Not to mention, AMD Crimson is coming out at the end of November.

As for speed - it takes them a week or so to get a driver for Nvidia AAA games and usually day one or two for their own games. It's the same with Nvidia - they took 1-2 weeks with Battlefront and Tomb Raider

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

• 1 month later...

I plan to do an FX 6300 and R9 390 but I know it will bottleneck. Buy GPU first and then the new CPU and Mobo

What's wrong with an fx 8350?

| CPURyzen 7 3700X & 2xE5-2680 V2 | Motherboard - Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi & Dell Poweredge R720 | 

| RAM - G SKill Hyper X 32 GB & 320GB ECC DDR3 | GPU - RTX 2080 Super W/ Block GTX 1060 6GB (R720) | Case - Metallic Gear Neo Qube (basically an O11D) | Storage - 2TB NVME + 8TB Unraid | PSU - Corsair RM650X Gold | Display - Samsung CHG90 49" | Cooling - Hardline EK CPU and GPU with 3x120 Rad | Operating System - Windows 10 Pro (PC) & Unraid (R720) |

What's wrong with an fx 8350?

Nothing, outside this forum.

If anyone asks you never saw me.