YET ANOTHER FALLOUT $ POST Who Actually Wanted a Voiced Protagonist

Sharkyx1

A lot of the criticism I've seen online and one i hold is that the new dialogue system is a weak shell of what it used to be. 4 choices is a joke when Morrowind had a better system 15 years ago with lots of choices to make and it sucks to be so simplified all of a sudden. To me this change was made to streamline the system and make it easier for non RPG fans to work, but its also likely attached to the fact that they are voicing the player character. Another thing that i think is a big mistake is this voiced main protagonist, really dumbing down the whole experience compared to the old Bethesda games. Something like the Witcher obviously has its main character, but Bethesda games have always been about putting you into the world to explore and this really takes away from that immersive feeling.

In the end i hope that there is a way for mods to gut out the voice acting and this ugly casual new dialogue system.

But what do you guys think? am i a crotchety old man who is out of touch? or is this new system as bad as i make it sound?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

You can already remove the voice of the main character, you could do that day one. I personally don't care, I kinda like it that he has a voice actor, but I don't care if he would have one or not.

And about the dialogue wheel, same thing there. All I care about is having an answer that fits my play style, if they have 10 answers and "my character" wouldn't answer with any of the options, but having a dialogue wheel that has 3 answers that I could choose from that actually fit the play style I choose for my character, then I would rather go for the dialogue wheel. But same thing there, I don't care if they give me 3, 5, 10 or 20 options as long as I feel that it fits my play style.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

Personally I love voiced characters. Sure in an RPG like fallout you suppose to be " You " however eventually that gets tiresome, as for the next games you simply put on more faces and the same faces of the character you played in previous games.

An example is like Advanced Warfare shit the COD games in general. Rarely does your character speak or make the decisions that a bloody team leader or captain should do. Which gets really annoying at times.

They also probably dumbed down the choices of what to say is because players want to get to the point, sure In Fallout 3 you can ask a crap tons of questions, however usually none of them do anything but maybe provide some backstory of a character or the game it self, also special mention to certain characters you need to speak to in a special way in order to get goodies or other special items as well.  For Fallout 4 I think they wanted it to be like a true Wasteland, you're just focused on surviving and not trying to ask questions or anything like that or your just trying to still to the simple stuff and clear and cut to the point.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

They also probably dumbed down the choices of what to say is because players want to get to the point, sure In Fallout 3 you can ask a crap tons of questions, however usually none of them do anything but maybe provide some backstory of a character or the game it self, also special mention to certain characters you need to speak to in a special way in order to get goodies or other special items as well.  For Fallout 4 I think they wanted it to be like a true Wasteland, you're just focused on surviving and not trying to ask questions or anything like that or your just trying to still to the simple stuff and clear and cut to the point.

The problem being you could do that with the old system! you could say one thing, then leave, but it gave you the option to explore the dialogue more, now you only get 3 and SARCASTIC

And about the dialogue wheel, same thing there. All I care about is having an answer that fits my play style, if they have 10 answers and "my character" wouldn't answer with any of the options, but having a dialogue wheel that has 3 answers that I could choose from that actually fit the play style I choose for my character, then I would rather go for the dialogue wheel. But same thing there, I don't care if they give me 3, 5, 10 or 20 options as long as I feel that it fits my play style.

The flaw is that you're assuming that having 4 options leads to better writing for some reason when with multiple choices you'd likely have those 4 choices, and then more, there's no point in reducing it, especially now that you don't even know what your character is going to say. How can you have "an answer that fits my play style" when for the most part you only have the topic about what your character will say and one answer is JUST SARCASTIC, is it sarcastic yes, no? will he just tell the guy fuck you? who knows

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I like the voice idea. But I want variations. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

i miss having a bazillion different ways to respond/talk to an NPC. limiting it to only 4 choices really puts a dent on how dynamic a conversation can become

I like the voice

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

The problem being you could do that with the old system! you could say one thing, then leave, but it gave you the option to explore the dialogue more, now you only get 3 and SARCASTIC

The flaw is that you're assuming that having 4 options leads to better writing for some reason when with multiple choices you'd likely have those 4 choices, and then more, there's no point in reducing it, especially now that you don't even know what your character is going to say. How can you have "an answer that fits my play style" when for the most part you only have the topic about what your character will say and one answer is JUST SARCASTIC, is it sarcastic yes, no? will he just tell the guy fuck you? who knows

Well, I don't know how far into the game you have come but where I am, I can choose to have a conversation for ages with the NPC's, sometimes I have to walk away from some characters because they are talking to much.

And no, I am not assuming that 4 options gives better choices, I'm just saying that I'd rather have 4 options with good answers, than 10 answers with bad answers. With more options comes a bigger chance to have good options, but it doesn't have to be that way. I just said I prefer good less answers that are good, than more answers that are bad, and in this game the answers has been more than sufficient for my play style, which is why I don't care.

For someone that wants to have more possibilities or that want to have more 'personal' answers I can understand that, 100%, but I am totally fine with the way it is now.

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

I don't mind the player voice, though I do wish it was optional. At least someone was able make a mod to disable it, and thankfully the cinematic conversations is optional. Would be a bit weird otherwise. Really not liking the conversation system... Hopefully we'll get a skyUI type mod for fallout that'll bring it back to the old way.

Well, I don't know how far into the game you have come but where I am, I can choose to have a conversation for ages with the NPC's, sometimes I have to walk away from some characters because they are talking to much.

And no, I am not assuming that 4 options gives better choices, I'm just saying that I'd rather have 4 options with good answers, than 10 answers with bad answers. With more options comes a bigger chance to have good options, but it doesn't have to be that way. I just said I prefer good less answers that are good, than more answers that are bad, and in this game the answers has been more than sufficient for my play style, which is why I don't care.

For someone that wants to have more possibilities or that want to have more 'personal' answers I can understand that, 100%, but I am totally fine with the way it is now.

I haven't played the game, because ive been weary of Bethesda every since i bought skyrim. I won't be thinking about buying this game until its confirmed that there will be no fuckery with mods and that these issues can be fixed.

ive watched most of a whole playthrough though.

But what do you guys think? am i a crotchety old man who is out of touch? or is this new system as bad as i make it sound?

Opinions about the game aside, I think you shouldn't make poll options that are skewed. Before even reading your post I could tell that you dislike voice acting and the dialog wheel.

Do you want a poll with genuine results or are you just looking for people to agree with you by making them feel stupid if they vote otherwise?

"too many choices and it made my simple head spin" aka "Durr i'm stupid"

Potato

Opinions about the game aside, I think you shouldn't make poll options that are skewed. Before even reading your post I could tell that you dislike voice acting and the dialog wheel.

Do you want a poll with genuine results or are you just looking for people to agree with you by making them feel stupid if they vote otherwise?

"too many choices and it made my simple head spin" aka "Durr i'm stupid"

I feel like a lot of people missed the joke with the poll. should i have names them ABXY?

But i couldn't think of a single way to phrase that, that wasn't stupid, because its such an incredibly stupid gameplay mechanic. The YES MUH IMMERSION answer was supposed to be insulting as well but i guess some people here actually think like that

I feel like a lot of people missed the joke with the poll. should i have names them ABXY?

But i couldn't think of a single way to phrase that, that wasn't stupid, because its such an incredibly stupid gameplay mechanic.

Wasn't that hard.

1. Yes 

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No 

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Who Cares? 

Percentage of vote: 33.33

Potato

Wasn't that hard.

1. Yes 

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No 

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Who Cares? 

Percentage of vote: 33.33

The whole point is that it is meant to represent the stupid dialogue system im complaining about in the first place. 

The whole point is that it is meant to represent the stupid dialogue system im complaining about in the first place. 

A poll is about opinions. You have one, others might have other opinions.

The YES MUH IMMERSION answer was supposed to be insulting as well but i guess some people here actually think like that

Really? Even when someones questioning the way you insult and patronize other opinions, you reply with that? :)

Potato

A poll is about opinions. You have one, others might have other opinions.

Really? Even when someones questioning the way you insult and patronize other opinions, you reply with that? :)

Yeah I, told the truth, I specifically typed out my opinion as the correct answer for the poll, there's no laws against that from what I understand. I did this because I sorta wanted to gauge opinion on the subject here but it seems the majority have the wrong opinion.

This is by no means official, and look at that, I changed the poll again to make the answers that were condescending to me now just repaint the question

I was trying to make fun of the Fallout dialogue system by making the answers so obvious in a way similar to the way Bethesda wrote theirs