A build for video editing and gaming

ramo55

Hi guys,

So basically i'm looking for a bit of a hybrid here, an all rounder if that makes sense. What i'm looking for is a build that would allow me to play most if not all games (doesn't have to be on max settings) but also allow me to do video editing. Now I know people are going to come in here suggesting insane builds for video editing and so on, but I am not a heavy video editior.

What does that mean? It means I will never be using 4k or any of that heavy duty stuff, I will also not be rendering anything longer than 30 minutes max. My current laptop (yes i'm coming from a laptop) renders some of my family videos in around 20-30 minutes (it's a core i5 2.5ghz) so I would ideally like to get that number down to about say 10 minutes?

If it helps, some of the programs I use now are cinema 4d, premiere pro, and occasionally photoshop, but these run fine on my laptop so I would expect them to run likewise if not better on the pc.

Obviously I would love to keep the price to a bare minimum but I also understand some things aren't achievable at certain prices.

So in conclusion, any advice or help would be appreciated, so pointers in the right direction as to what items I could go for together would be great!

Thanks.

Edit: for people asking for my budget, I would like to stay around the $800 mark, anything lower of course is always welcomed.

What resolution would you be playing games at? If you're at 1080p, a build with an i7 6700k and an r9 380/390 should be enough. Total cost would be around $1000.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

I've got one question for you.... WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($232.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($50.89 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  ($204.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: VIVO CASE-V02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $734.83

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 22:33 EST-0500

Thanks for the quick reply! I will definetely be playing at 1080p, I have no intention of going higher than that. As for the r9 cards, are there any nvidia based cards that are around the same price range if not less with almost same performance? Finally, how good are these cards with video editing?

What resolution would you be playing games at? If you're at 1080p, a build with an i7 6700k and an r9 380/390 should be enough. Total cost would be around $1000.

I don't really have a budget as I have no idea how much prices could run into, but I suppose  i'd like to keep the price to about $800.

I've got one question for you.... WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  ($204.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $734.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 22:33 EST-0500

Have to say first of all, thanks so much for actually taking the time to come up with a build for me! It definetely looks great, and the price is actually better than I expected.

Just a quick question if you don't mind, I am tempted to replace the ssd with a normal hard drive as my friends have told me that ssd's will most likely last a max of 1-1.5 years of use, so would that be an option or would that affect my video editing/gaming experiance?

Hi guys,

So basically i'm looking for a bit of a hybrid here, an all rounder if that makes sense. What i'm looking for is a build that would allow me to play most if not all games (doesn't have to be on max settings) but also allow me to do video editing. Now I know people are going to come in here suggesting insane builds for video editing and so on, but I am not a heavy video editior.

What does that mean? It means I will never be using 4k or any of that heavy duty stuff, I will also not be rendering anything longer than 30 minutes max. My current laptop (yes i'm coming from a laptop) renders some of my family videos in around 20-30 minutes (it's a core i5 2.5ghz) so I would ideally like to get that number down to about say 10 minutes?

If it helps, some of the programs I use now are cinema 4d, premiere pro, and occasionally photoshop, but these run fine on my laptop so I would expect them to run likewise if not better on the pc.

Obviously I would love to keep the price to a bare minimum but I also understand some things aren't achievable at certain prices.

So in conclusion, any advice or help would be appreciated, so pointers in the right direction as to what items I could go for together would be great!

Thanks.

Could we please have your budget? Anyway what I would reasonably suggest is this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($232.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H97 Performance ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($113.25 @ B&H)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($204.99 @ Newegg)

Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $965.07

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 22:37 EST-0500

Here's the same build with a GTX 960 if you want Nvidia. Video editing is not majorly affected by the GPU, and more so by the CPU and RAM.

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card  ($212.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $742.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-11 22:37 EST-0500

Have to say first of all, thanks so much for actually taking the time to come up with a build for me! It definetely looks great, and the price is actually better than I expected.

Just a quick question if you don't mind, I am tempted to replace the ssd with a normal hard drive as my friends have told me that ssd's will most likely last a max of 1-1.5 years of use, so would that be an option or would that affect my video editing/gaming experiance?

My SSD is still strong after over two years. They are DEFINITELY worth it, you won't regret it.

And for the SSD vs. HDD, the only difference should be your boot time, with minor differences in open-world games.

HDDs tend to die long before SSDs, so for lifespan get a SSD.

And for the SSD vs. HDD, the only difference should be your boot time, with minor differences in open-world games.

HDDs tend to die long before SSDs, so for lifespan get a SSD.

Booted up a 20 year old HDD the other day. 128MB for the win.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)