960 4gb vs 970 4gb

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Okay then, if i was going to choose either a 380x or a 390x could you give me a price range/examples of what i could get? (New Zealand by the way)

Well the general thought is this

Good: Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor (run cool and quiet)

Decent: XFX (louder than the "good" coolers and a little bit hotter but otherwise nothing wrong).

Bad: Asus, Gigabyte (Bad coolers for Asus atleast, think gigabyte was something about voltage lock(?) someone plz correct me if im wrong)

What's the difference? can you use the 960 in todays gaming age to run at high/ultra 1080p (Black ops 3, gta V , Fallout 4)

What's the difference? can you use the 960 in todays gaming age to run at high/ultra 1080p (Black ops 3, gta V , Fallout 

Im pretty Sure the 960 Will run it, the 970 will get slower if you use over 3.5 GB Of ram

Spoiler

the difference is that the 970 is about 40% faster. And yes, the 960 is fine at 1080p, but I'd buy an r9 380 instead.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Im pretty Sure the 960 Will run it, the 970 also only has 3.5 Gb of ram <-- Just had to point it out xD

wrong, it has 4gb. They just get slower if you use more than 3.5gb.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd get a R9 380 4GB at 200-180 dollars, it should handle most games at 1080p 60fps. 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

But my only worry with amd is the constant problems i've had with them apart from overheating, constant crashing and graphical problems

Oh Sorry, I was misinformed, Thanks

Spoiler

But my only worry with amd is the constant problems i've had with them apart from overheating, constant crashing and graphical problems

But as they bring it to the table, I'd go for the 390, It has 8GB Of ram and matches/beats on most benchmarks

Spoiler

Also, does the 960 have 4gb of ram or is it exactly the same as the 970 with the disabled l2 cache causing 500mb slower?

Also, does the 960 have 4gb of ram or is it exactly the same as the 970 with the disabled l2 cache causing 500mb slower?

Yeah it has 4gb of ram and when Going over 3.5 It wont get slower I dont think

Spoiler

What's the difference? can you use the 960 in todays gaming age to run at high/ultra 1080p (Black ops 3, gta V , Fallout 4)

didnt you already make a topic on this?

ONE is enough.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

didnt you already make a topic on this?

ONE is enough.

I accidentally posted twice, sorry about that. poor internet where i'm at 

Im pretty Sure the 960 Will run it, the 970 also only has 3.5 Gb of ram <-- Just had to point it out xD

It has 4GB, but with one of the ROPs dead, it can only use 3.5GB at full speed. The rest of the frame buffer is a looooooooot slower. I know you both already knew that, but it would be easier and faster to move the frames to system memory, quite honestly.

It has 4GB, but with one of the ROPs dead, it can only use 3.5GB at full speed. The rest of the frame buffer is a looooooooot slower. I know you both already knew that, but it would be easier and faster to move the frames to system memory, quite honestly.

no, it wouldn't

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well what's the true answer then?

the 970 is much faster, there's no doubt about it. the last 500mb have significantly slower access so you may get some stuttering in extreme cases where you use all the vram - not going to happen at 1080p. Either way you should get neither, the r9 380 is a ebtter offer than the 960' and the r9 390 is better than the 970.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

no, it wouldn't

Well what's the true answer then?

It'd be like, APU speeds. System memory works better as a frame buffer than a slashed RAM chip, surely. Especially when it operates at 1/8th the speed.

In any case, the 970 is still way faster than the 960 (which can't really even use all 4GB anyway - any texture that used that much space would tank the GPU performance to unplayable levels. It's a marketing stunt.)

I would go with a 390 like Sauron. Cheaper, on par or faster than the 970 and has a larger frame buffer. And computationally is far more powerful, which bodes very well for the future when that power can be fully tapped in games.

It'd be like, APU speeds. System memory works better as a frame buffer than a slashed RAM chip, surely. Especially when it operates at 1/8th the speed.

No, because the data would have to pass through the pcie bus and the cpu before it can get redirected to system memory. The latency would kill your performance even more than a nerfed vram chip (by the way, a half speed gddr5 chip is still faster than most ddr3 ram). The gpu in an apu is sitting right next to the ram, it doesn't have such a high latency problem. Also, there's a reason gpus that use ddr3 still have dedicated chips on them.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Aslong as you get a card with a good aftermarket cooler you shouldnt experience these issues.

(consult us for advice on aftermarket cooler)

Aslong as you get a card with a good aftermarket cooler you shouldnt experience these issues.

(consult us for advice on aftermarket cooler)

Okay then, if i was going to choose either a 380x or a 390x could you give me a price range/examples of what i could get? (New Zealand by the way)

Well the general thought is this

Good: Sapphire, MSI, Powercolor (run cool and quiet)

Decent: XFX (louder than the "good" coolers and a little bit hotter but otherwise nothing wrong).

Bad: Asus, Gigabyte (Bad coolers for Asus atleast, think gigabyte was something about voltage lock(?) someone plz correct me if im wrong)