Should I get a DAC

Wayne Tai

I have a pair of Edifier 2.1 speakers. Can't remember what the model name was but it cost me about $50. 

Am looking to upgrade my Audio set up. Have a budget of about $300, I'm stuck between getting a new set of speakers, a DAC or both.

Mine is a X99-A motherboard, which I heard is suppose to deliver better quality sound.

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

You don't need one.

Agreeing with Kloaked, Put the budget into speakers.

Tek syndicate recently did a speaker guide, probably a good start if you're unsure on what to buy. Your Budget pretty much lines up with this video:

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

Agreeing with Kloaked, Put the budget into speakers.

Tek syndicate recently did a speaker guide, probably a good start if you're unsure on what to buy. Your Budget pretty much lines up with this video:

I wouldn't trust TekSyndicate and their 'experitse' on audio... They generally have no idea what they are talking about.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I wouldn't trust TekSyndicate and their 'experitse' on audio... They generally have no idea what they are talking about.

To be sure. At this budget, you should certainly spend the full budget on the speakers, with a little left over if you get passives and need an amp.

You don't need one.

Would agree with this. DAC is going to have so little impact in this kind of situation that it really isn't worth the money. With the amp (if included), speakers, and acoustics of the speaker/room orientation having more of an impact, it's a pretty low priority purchase.

Fiio E10K - AKG Q701 - Micca MB42X

Galaxy S6

Zowie FK

To be sure. At this budget, you should certainly spend the full budget on the speakers, with a little left over if you get passives and need an amp.

What speakers do you recommend for $300? 

Mobo: ASUS X99-A  // CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix //  Ram: 4 x 4 GB 2666 Mhz G.Skill Ripjaw // SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe //  PSU: Cooler Master V850  // Case: Corsair 760T Arch White // Mouse: Logitec G903 Lightspeed // Keyboard: Logitech G Pro // Headphones: Audio Technica Ath-R70x // Monitor: BenQ BL2710PT

What speakers do you recommend for $300? 

A pair of JBL LSR305, most likely.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)