Anyone here used an Arctic F9 PWM CO on a cpu cooler

xrel
Go to solution Solved by xrel,

Okay well I just got the fan today. It is a lot quieter than the Raijintek Aidos stock fan. Temps are about the same, maybe a degree or two higher. I will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. I am pretty happy so far.

I also got two 120mm PWM PST COs and they are really quiet (just tested them ). I haven't installed them yet, I still need to figure out a good configuration. I did try one on my side panel and it was actually quiet loud compared to when it is just free standing. I am not sure if that is an airflow or a vibration thing. I might need to get hold of some rubber mounting pins and try those.

I want to replace the fan on my Raijintek Aidos and it is really difficult to find any decent 92mm fans in my country. This fan is pretty much the best that I can find, is it any good?

http://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/arctic-f9-pwm-co.html

I can't talk about the F9 but I can talk about the F12, which I'm using three of in my home server. When using multiple F12s, you will notice that the voltage required to make them run is not at all consistent. I have an analog fan controller (that just changes the voltage with a resistor or something) and one of them turns on way before the others in terms of voltage and similar things can be said about the RPMs produced from the voltages.

They're also not the quietest but they're not bad or anything.

Lastly, that fan has some pretty favourable awards so it looks enticing to me. Don't judge a series by just one model.

Sig under construction.

I can't talk about the F9 but I can talk about the F12, which I'm using three of in my home server. When using multiple F12s, you will notice that the voltage required to make them run is not at all consistent. I have an analog fan controller (that just changes the voltage with a resistor or something) and one of them turns on way before the others in terms of voltage and similar things can be said about the RPMs produced from the voltages.

They're also not the quietest but they're not bad or anything.

Lastly, that fan has some pretty favourable awards so it looks enticing to me. Don't judge a series by just one model.

Okay cool thanks. Are they PWM or voltage regulated? Are your fans connected via the PST PWM sharing thing? I might get two for my cooler if the PWM sharing thing is any good and I can find some extra mounts for the cooler.

I think I will just buy it and try it out because it is pretty cheap. My main concern is that has a lower CFM rating than the stock fan on the cooler but I don't really think that will be an issue.

Okay cool thanks. Are they PWM or voltage regulated? Are your fans connected via the PST PWM sharing thing? I might get two for my cooler if the PWM sharing thing is any good and I can find some extra mounts for the cooler.

I think I will just buy it and try it out because it is pretty cheap. My main concern is that has a lower CFM rating than the stock fan on the cooler but I don't really think that will be an issue.

I think that static pressure will also be important for a fan on a cooler, so CFM shouldn't be all too relevant.

As it turns out, my F12s are the normal, non-PWM version. I kinda feel like I should've gone for the PWM ones and I would've spent about 2 pounds more on them - but they were still a bargain.

Sig under construction.

I think that static pressure will also be important for a fan on a cooler, so CFM shouldn't be all too relevant.

As it turns out, my F12s are the normal, non-PWM version. I kinda feel like I should've gone for the PWM ones and I would've spent about 2 pounds more on them - but they were still a bargain.

Yeah, I thought I would get one and see if I get similar cooling performance and if it's a bit low I will try the push pull thing. Can't find any static pressure numbers for the fan though.

Oh okay. Yeah, maybe the voltage inconsitency thing will only be an issue with the non PWM ones.

I will probably get it next week and post back here to let you guys know how it goes. Thanks.

Yeah, I thought I would get one and see if I get similar cooling performance and if it's a bit low I will try the push pull thing. Can't find any static pressure numbers for the fan though.

Oh okay. Yeah, maybe the voltage inconsitency thing will only be an issue with the non PWM ones.

I will probably get it next week and post back here to let you guys know how it goes. Thanks.

Looking forward to reading more!

Sig under construction.

Pwm CO's are good.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay well I just got the fan today. It is a lot quieter than the Raijintek Aidos stock fan. Temps are about the same, maybe a degree or two higher. I will see how it goes over the next couple of weeks. I am pretty happy so far.

I also got two 120mm PWM PST COs and they are really quiet (just tested them ). I haven't installed them yet, I still need to figure out a good configuration. I did try one on my side panel and it was actually quiet loud compared to when it is just free standing. I am not sure if that is an airflow or a vibration thing. I might need to get hold of some rubber mounting pins and try those.