Qnix qx2710 worth it?

I'm looking for 1440p ips displays and I was originally going for the ASUS PB278QR but I found this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Perfect-Pixel-QNIX-QX2710-Evolution-II-2560x1440-27-LED-PLS-Monitor-Glossy/141491366098?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3Dbbeba92c7e1240f686999c91ccc62527%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D140932730742

It's about $250 cheaper than the PB278QR and it can be overclocked, although it doesn't support hdmi, but that's not really too much of a problem and display-port apparently works with an adapter.

Is it worth it? Or should I go for the PB278QR?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Recently purchased QX2710 LED from Newegg. Five minutes after plugging the monitor in the monitor switched off and smelled burning electronics. The power adapter died ordered a replacement from Amazon also contacted the seller in Korea for a replacement adapter. New power adapter from Amazon works so I knew that just the adapter died and not the whole monitor. The back-light bleed is minimal, but the color after software color correction is still off. Was able to overclock the monitor to 96 Hz. Took 10 days to hear from the seller due to Newegg intervention, on the eleventh day they agreed to send a new adapter did two day international shipping. If I had to do this over again I would have spent more for a different monitor.

-snip-

I suppose you were just unlucky, I haven't heard of many people having a failing power supply.

Well, what are your impressions of the display? Does it look good? Is 96hz noticeable over 60hz?

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

I think I'll go for the matte qx2710. its about $20 more than the glossy version but I think it's worth it

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

I suppose you were just unlucky, I haven't heard of many people having a failing power supply.

Well, what are your impressions of the display? Does it look good? Is 96hz noticeable over 60hz?

Think I am unlucky with the power adapter. All white when viewed from the normal viewing position is yellowed, but off access it is pure white. (this applies to my monitor yours might be completely different) Also have the glossy display. The 96 Hz is a must and very noticeable over 60 Hz could not get a stable overclock over 100 Hz.

Think I am unlucky with the power adapter. All white when viewed from the normal viewing position is yellowed, but off access it is pure white. (this applies to my monitor yours might be completely different) Also have the glossy display. The 96 Hz is a must and very noticeable over 60 Hz could not get a stable overclock over 100 Hz.

thanks, I probably risk it and get the monitor. I'll probably like it more than the pb278qr because of the high refresh rate. Hopefully I wont get a horrible panel.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

I found another monitor: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Perfect-Pixel-CROSSOVER-2795-QHD-AHIPS-27-LED-2560X1440-100Hz-LG-IPS-Monitor-/221902610837?hash=item33aa6d2195:g:YXAAAOSwKIpWDkGO

It's slightly better than the qnix and it's flicker free. It's about $60 more expensive. Do you reckon it is worth it.

EDIT: apparently it's not as overclockable, but it can reach 100hz according to that link.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

I found another monitor: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Perfect-Pixel-CROSSOVER-2795-QHD-AHIPS-27-LED-2560X1440-100Hz-LG-IPS-Monitor-/221902610837?hash=item33aa6d2195:g:YXAAAOSwKIpWDkGO

It's slightly better than the qnix and it's flicker free. It's about $60 more expensive. Do you reckon it is worth it.

EDIT: apparently it's not as overclockable, but it can reach 100hz according to that link.

When you do decide to purchase a monitor hope that these resources are as helpful to you as they were to me.

http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-1440p-ips-monitors/

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#install

k, well In that case I may as well go for the qnix, it's more overclockable, and it's more popular.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

• 1 month later...

I received my qnix, and it's pretty good, I haven't noticed any dead pixels yet, and the colours look noticeably better than my old tn panel. I haven't started to overclock yet.
One problem though, my dvi cable that was advertised as dual link (on ebay for $10 AUD) didn't work with this monitor which means that it is single link ;(

So I had to use the one supplied with the monitor which is really short, so I had to move the monitor to near the edge of the table and my computer had to be re-positioned so that the cable has enough length to avoid too much strain and connect. Any dual link dvi-cables that you guys recommend?

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

This thing doesn't seem to want to overclock beyond 100hz without artifacting, so I'm gonna leave it at 96hz. Apparently you can mess with monitor timings to get up to 120hz, but I don't want to do anything complicated. So far pretty happy.

EDIT: now SVP cant keep up with the high refresh rate and I'm getting lots of frame drops. I cri evry teim. changing conversion fps to 72hz fixes it.

EDIT 2: 96hz is AMAZING! Youtube videos now barely stutter, and SVP is slightly noticeably smoother (even though I'm only running it at 72hz). Tearing is also less noticable, and gameplay at 30fps is actually somewhat playable! totally a great purchase.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

Ive checked for backlight bleed, and there is a fair bit on the bottom left corner, and a little bit on the other corners, but it's not too bad, I would say that it is acceptable and not too distracting. I think there might be a slight colouration of the whites at certain viewing angles, but it's barely noticable. Also the bottom-center of the monitor is a bit more warm coloured than the top. Still within acceptable limits. For the price I payed, it's a very good value monitor.

EDIT: gamma was also way too low, so I had to adjust it, and now it's a lot better.

EDIT 2: windows calibration does not seem to change gamma for fullscreen applications, so in shadow of mordor I had to turn the gamma all the way up xD

EDIT 3: flickering is a big problem with this monitor (If I close my eyes after staring at the screen for a while I can see lines, which indicates PWM flickering), and for some people it can be a problem, for me if I use the screen for around 3-5 hours or more (depending on what you're doing, gaming seems to impact this a fair bit) my eyes get pretty tired, while with my laptop I can use it (almost) all day. IMO I'd rather just sacrifice the 2" of screen real-estate and get a 25" 1440p monitor, it's cheaper, and turns out I don't actually need 27" as much as I thought I did, oh well. BTW those 32-inch VA 1440p monitors are suprisingly inexpensive, maybe get one of those if you don't have crappy eyesight like I do (short sighted) as you can easily just set the monitor back a lil' bit, although probably not the best for night-time use. 

EDIT 4: If you really want a 1440p 27" monitor, then I recommend viewsonic or LG (BenQ has a good professional model). Otherwise dell is another choice, and both me and my brother have had good experiences with them (besides my XPS' crappy audio drivers and broken Intel HD drivers).
If you want something cheap then ASUS, AOC, or Acer are good choices, but be warned do not get any expensive Asus products, speaking from experience, their cheap stuff is good tho.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook