PSU Failure?

Myriamor
Go to solution Solved by Kobathor,

It's a stock dell psu. Ironically enough, one of the few parts I haven't upgraded. It's why I'm thinking that it's psu failure.

Yep. I'd replace that PSU pretty soon. 

I'd recommend an EVGA 650w G2 or GS. Those stock power supplies usually aren't fit for upgrades. 

The EVGA G2/GS usually run for about $100 USD, but you won't need to replace it for a long time. Awesome PSU's. 

Other great ones are XFX XTR PSU's (also around $100 USD for 650w) or anything from Seasonic. 

Modularity is great, the XFX XTR and EVGA G2/GS are all modular. 

Hello LTT community!

So, I've been having some issues the past couple of days, and I realized that this may be the best place to ask for some help for this. Without any further ado, here's my problem.

A couple of days ago, I got a new MSI GTX 980 ti which my brother went halfsies on me as a college grad present (I hope you guys enjoy the context). I excitedly went back home and installed my new card and set off to run some benchmarks. I launched fire strike and my computer crashed, as if the power had gone out. I thought it was odd, because I have a  850 watt psu and figured that'd be enough. I relaunched Firestrike and everything went through without a hitch. Fast forward to me playing some Witcher 3 and the same thing happens, computer randomly shuts off and boots itself back up. None of this happened before I got the new gpu, so I'm a little confused. 

I can only think that my PSU, even though it has enough to run the system, is freaking out and is not large enough. Thoughts?

System Specs:

16x motherboard running 4x4 1600 mhz ram.

CPU is an i7-4820k running at 3.7 

980 ti

850 w pus

What brand is the PSU,  and what model? Also, remember to follow your own posts so I don't have to mention you.

@Myriamor

I used to be quite active here.

It's a stock dell psu. Ironically enough, one of the few parts I haven't upgraded. It's why I'm thinking that it's psu failure.

New information:

Checked out CPU and GPU temps. Both are fine with CPU temps at 23* and GPU around 77-80*. 

Checked Event Viewer and noticed these whenever Witcher 3 would crash. "Critical= Kernel-Power..error could be cause if the system stopped responding,c crashed, or lost power unpectedly" I'm thinking this feeds the idea that the PSU can't handle all of this, even though it should. Curiously enough, it has seemingly only happened with Witcher 3 so far. Twice in the same spot. Hmm

I need to see what happens if I run another graphically intense game and see what happens. 

New information:

Checked out CPU and GPU temps. Both are fine with CPU temps at 23* and GPU around 77-80*. 

Checked Event Viewer and noticed these whenever Witcher 3 would crash. "Critical= Kernel-Power..error could be cause if the system stopped responding,c crashed, or lost power unpectedly" I'm thinking this feeds the idea that the PSU can't handle all of this, even though it should. Curiously enough, it has seemingly only happened with Witcher 3 so far. Twice in the same spot. Hmm

I need to see what happens if I run another graphically intense game and see what happens. 

Its most likely your psu. I am having the same problem right now. I think I killed the 12v rail on mine while I was overclocking so now it will sometimes drop voltage to below 11.5v and result in the computer restarting. This is at stock speeds too.

Blarg

Yep. I'd replace that PSU pretty soon. 

I'd recommend an EVGA 650w G2 or GS. Those stock power supplies usually aren't fit for upgrades. 

The EVGA G2/GS usually run for about $100 USD, but you won't need to replace it for a long time. Awesome PSU's. 

Other great ones are XFX XTR PSU's (also around $100 USD for 650w) or anything from Seasonic. 

Modularity is great, the XFX XTR and EVGA G2/GS are all modular. 

I think I'm gonna pick up a new PSU tonight, if that's the case. I had a feeling that that was the issue, but I wanted to confirm with other knowledgable people. I ran Crysis on max, and nothing happened, which is odd, but it kept crashing on Witcher 3 again. Very curious case. It can't be the GPU otherwise the issue would be happening all over the place. 

I think I'm gonna pick up a new PSU tonight, if that's the case. I had a feeling that that was the issue, but I wanted to confirm with other knowledgable people. I ran Crysis on max, and nothing happened, which is odd, but it kept crashing on Witcher 3 again. Very curious case. It can't be the GPU otherwise the issue would be happening all over the place.

As it probably is the PSU, I might be very shocked about it or not so shocked. A ton of Dells actually use quite ironically decent PSUs. A bunch of them use Delta Electronics, could you get a model number in the PSU or any information?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hmm, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I'd figured I'd ask. I realized a little while ago that I have forgotten to remove the drivers from the 970 I had. Do you guys think keeping this drivers might cause an issue where the computer would reset? I'm not sure.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this makes a difut I'd figured I'd ask. I realized a little while ago that I have forgotten to remove the drivers from the 970 I had. Do you guys think keeping this drivers might cause an issue where the computer would reset? I'm not sure.

As in you lose data? No. As in the computer restarts? No. 

If you used GeForce Experience to update your drivers then it should have automatically gotten rid of them. When I had my GTX 570 that's what it did. 

Hmm, I thought that would be the case. I figured it was worth trying, lol. I'm starting to run out of troubleshooting ideas without straight up buying a new PSU. This would be easier if the generic dell PSU I have actually told me what the model was. I guess I'll stop by Micro center in a bit, haha. 

Solved! PSU replaced with a 1000w unit (Had the 875 before) and everything is running smoothly. Thanks for the help, gang!

Solved! PSU replaced with a 1000w unit (Had the 875 before) and everything is running smoothly. Thanks for the help, gang!

Great thing it's working out for you! 

Though, you should have asked us first- 1000w is waaay too much. 

That's what I thought too, but Micro Center gave me such a good deal for it that I couldn't say no X.x haha