ADSL Question

Dautin
Go to solution Solved by Salty,

Yes the service would stay active providing the telephone exchange and the ADSL distribution point still had power. This is because the copper lines run underground and are usually independent from the power infrastructure.

Hello all,

I don't have ADSL or any form of it for that matter, but I was wondering something.

If the power went out, would a DSL service stay active if I had the modem and networking equipment running on a UPS?  

I would assume that if a power line went down (like literally fell down), so would the DSL cable.

Thanks.

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

Hello all,

I don't have ADSL or any form of it for that matter, but I was wondering something.

If the power went out, would a DSL service stay active if I had the modem and networking equipment running on a UPS?  

I would assume that if a power line went down, so would the DSL cable.

Thanks.

It varies by ISP obviously, but when the power goes out at my house I still have internet(most of the time) since I have a UPS powering my modem. (forgot to mention but I have DSL through CenturyLag)

Yes the service would stay active providing the telephone exchange and the ADSL distribution point still had power. This is because the copper lines run underground and are usually independent from the power infrastructure.

Interesting, I thought that the telephone ran along the power lines above ground.   :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

Yes

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Interesting, I thought that the telephone ran along the power lines above ground.   :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

A lot of lines now a days are being ran underground. My neighborhood has nothing above ground. The only thing above ground are major high power lines.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Eh, depends where you live. 

I guess it makes sense that wires are run underground...

Main Rig: 

Server: 

They do, in most areas. The areas without telephone poles have them buried.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I guess it makes sense that wires are run underground...

Yeah its the thing to bury the cables for long term low maintenance and low storm damage impact. Current areas with above ground are slowly being buried as it is difficult to get done in completed neighborhoods.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER