Asus PG279Q (2560x1440, 144Hz, IPS): better alternatives?

Stefan1024
Go to solution Solved by Falkentyne,

There are NO alternatives except the 1) XB271HU, which has not been released yet (should be out by the end of November)

2) older XB270HU (same capabilities except no 165hz overclock)

3) Eizo foris FS2725, which is the freesync version of the PG279Q (I think equivalent to the MG279Q?)

The problem with the new Swift (can't even spell correctly right now) and the other #1 and #2 above is they are ALL panel lotteries.  Big time.

So unless Eizo has some super magic up its sleeve, it will ALSO be a lottery !

Sorry for the poor photo quality. I would say the bleed is not noticeable during normal day to day usage.

I don't know if it was the photo but the bleed is less severe to my eyes than presented in the photo

PS. Please don't mind the glow in the middle of the monitor it was reflection of my phone screen because I used the front camera.

post-271715-0-11093400-1446403833_thumb.

Sorry for the poor photo quality. I would say the bleed is not noticeable during normal day to day usage.

I don't know if it was the photo but the bleed is less severe to my eyes than presented in the photo

PS. Please don't mind the glow in the middle of the monitor it was reflection of my phone screen because I used the front camera.

How's the actual panel? I heard some people saying you could like push it in and stuff in the corners. 

So is buying the Acer XB270HU the safest bet atm? 

The safest thing is to see the monitor in action before you buy it.

But you can get a XB270HU used for less than the Asus now, so it's a "bit" less risky.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

So is buying the Acer XB270HU the safest bet atm? 

The safest thing is to see the monitor in action before you buy it.

But you can get a XB270HU used for less than the Asus now, so it's a "bit" less risky.

I can't say but I was first going to get the XB270HU from amazon since they don't sell it in where I live (Hong Kong) and the shipping cost over $50usd.

But then the pg279q came out so I got it, if you are going to get the pg279q. Don't get it yet, usually the first two batches are full of defects I just got lucky there. so I would advice you to wait for a bit. 

- snip -

- snip -

- snip -

So I just bougth a used XB270HU für 500$. Although "used" isn't really adequate for a monitor that was bougth from the store two month ago and the plastic protection foil still attached ;)

I went with this one instead of the PG279Q because when the panel is used the "panel lottery" is alread played and I know what I get. I have no dead pixels and only minor backlight bleed in one corner that isn't noticeable in normal use.

The glossy plastic is terrible, but I can mod this. The panel on the other hand is awesome! Good colors and viewing angles as well as a fast response time. Also even my two GTX980 in SLI have a hard time to reach 144 FPS in the modern games, so I don't miss anything by not getting the full 165 Hz of the PG279Q.

I can recommend the XB270HU 95% (5% lost for the glossy bezel), especially as I got it 350$ cheaper than a PG279Q.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Yeah I was following this guys post on overclock, and seemed to of got one of the best PG279Q's I've seen yet on forums. There was no yellow glow like most of them have in bottom right corner. After a few hours of playing it went from this to this check it out. (Top being good bottom being time to RMA)

f8c2f439_WP_20151105_13_52_15_Pro.jpeg

2d5efaf4_awdawdwa.jpeg