HDD to SSD migration

Go to solution Solved by nike12000,

you should not have to format it windows should just pick it up as a second drive assuming u have ur bios set right to default to the right drive for boot ect... but i did the same thing 1 gave me duel boot options but it also showed just as a second drive and i could still use it normally it just will have boot /os files on it still if u dont format it...

Hello,

I recently purchased the Samsung 840 pro 128gb for my boot drive (I went with the PRO flavor instead of the EVO because I wanted higher build quality.) I have been using only HDD, so I am used to a lot of space on my C: drive. instead of trimming my current 500gb boot drive down past 128gb and cloning it, I decided to upgrade my computer some more, add 16gb of RAM (32gb total [relax, I will use all of it: video editing].) So, therefor I needed to upgrade from home premium. With windows 7 ultimate being about the same price as pro, I jumped on that, now I have a fresh install of windows to do.

Now, here lies my problem, I have a 1tb storage drive in addition to my smaller 500gb boot drive. I am worried that once I install my copy of ultimate, and plug my 1tb storage drive in, that I will have to format the 1tb drive when I reconnect it to the system.

In short: when I reattach my storage HDD after a clean install of a DIFFERENT copy of windows will my storage HDD have to be formatted? Thanks for everybody's help.

you should not have to format it windows should just pick it up as a second drive assuming u have ur bios set right to default to the right drive for boot ect... but i did the same thing 1 gave me duel boot options but it also showed just as a second drive and i could still use it normally it just will have boot /os files on it still if u dont format it...

Nope. Your drive will work as it did before except as a storage drive. Just make the ssd your boot.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.