Storage Upgrading

plsno

So I currently have a 250GB and 80GB HDD. 

I'm looking to upgrade and have around $80-90 USD to spend. I'm looking to get at least 2TB worth of storage. I was going to get two 1TB HDDs, but then I saw that seagate has a 3TB HDD that is around the same price.

Would there be any downsides to getting a single 3TB HDD over two 1TB HDD?

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

The downsides of have a bigger HDD compared with 2 small ones is, it is slower and if the HDD fails you lose all the data.

The downsides of having 2 smaller drives is it costs more per GB, it is twice as likely for a drive to fail compared with having a single drive and it uses 2 sata ports!

Getting one HDD creates a single point of failure opposed to having 2 HDD's, it's also a bit slower since there's so many sectors to search through in order to retrieve data. I guess the only upside to having one drive is that everything is located centrally on that 1 drive.

will you set up RAID?

if yes get the two 1TB because raid 1 for redundancy or raid 0 for increased performance

if no get the 3TB because having two separate storage only drives is a bit more of a hassle to manage and you'll also get more storage.

if you get the 3tb drive, in order to use the whole 3TB you have to convert the disk to GPT in disk management otherwise you'll only be able to use 2TB

Windows+X

click disk management

right click on your drive at the far left

convert to GPT

Hey look, my signature is invisible!

So I currently have a 250GB and 80GB HDD.

That seagate 3TB drive is going to die hard and fast

Just grab something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/hitachi-internal-hard-drive-0f10452

hitachi 2tb drive

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?