windows 10 and replacing my mobo

omricn

Hi guys,

Lately I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding my PC, replacing only my motherboard, GPU and case (and maybe CPU cooler). the main reason is wanting a smaller and cleaner looking PC.

Now, as an IT guy, and after having researched this conundrum immensely, I've concluded that Microsoft basically (on purpose) doesn't have a clear policy regarding the re-installation of an upgraded OS (which is not a retail copy [one can simply uninstall a windows installation and reinstall it on a whole other PC as long as they own a retail copy] on a different PC OR after having a major component (CPU/motherboard/OS drive) replaced .

And so, my question to you guys, is have any of you went through the process of contacting Microsoft after having replaced a major component on you PC and have successfully been granted an activation?

Take in mind windows 10 does not have a serial key as we're used to from previous OS's, but is collecting data on the components of your PC, and "attaching" itself to it, so basically you may uninstall windows 10 as many times as you wish on the same original PC and it will always automatically activate.

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

Hi guys,

Lately I'm toying with the idea of rebuilding my PC, replacing only my motherboard, GPU and case (and maybe CPU cooler). the main reason is wanting a smaller and cleaner looking PC.

Now, as an IT guy, and after having researched this conundrum immensely, I've concluded that Microsoft basically (on purpose) doesn't have a clear policy regarding the re-installation of an upgraded OS (which is not a retail copy [one can simply uninstall a windows installation and reinstall it on a whole other PC as long as they own a retail copy] on a different PC OR after having a major component (CPU/motherboard/OS drive) replaced .

And so, my question to you guys, is have any of you went through the process of contacting Microsoft after having replaced a major component on you PC and have successfully been granted an activation?

Take in mind windows 10 does not have a serial key as we're used to from previous OS's, but is collecting data on the components of your PC, and "attaching" itself to it, so basically you may uninstall windows 10 as many times as you wish on the same original PC and it will always automatically activate.

do you still have your original key?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Unless you change your HDD/SSD, You will never lose activation, if you do change hard drives though, contact microsoft and they might deactivate the last "computer" so you may use it again.

when motherboard died along with my i3 i changed to am3 and an 8350, i was worried to seeing as i didn't have any computer to make a windows install but windows detected the hardware change and reconfigured it's self without a hitch.

I believe if windows wasn't pre-installed it works fine.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Unless you change your HDD/SSD, You will never lose activation, if you do change hard drives though, contact microsoft and they might deactivate the last "computer" so you may use it again.

I think your confused

changing your hdd/ssd is fine

its the motherboard the activation is tied to

If you have a Retail Windows 7 or Windows 8 licence then you will be able to transfer it to a new motheboard. You will however need to do it sometime soon.

You will need to install you original version of Windows (7 or 8) on the new PC, then upgrade it for free to Windows 10. This will then licence Windows 10 against your hardware, unlicencing it against your old hardware in the process. You will only be able to do this as long as the free upgrade option is available.

If your licence key is OEM then it will be tied to your current motherboard and cannot be trasferred to a new motherboard.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

do you still have your original key?

Windows 10 does not have a cd key (it simply doesn't work that way anymore unless you purchase a retail copy of it) nor my previously installed windows 8.1 as it was an upgrade from the windows 8 I've purchased online (upgraded to 10 from 8.1).

according to Microsoft, any major component change is problematic, major components include - motherboard, CPU, OS drive.

when motherboard died along with my i3 i changed to am3 and an 8350, i was worried to seeing as i didn't have any computer to make a windows install but windows detected the hardware change and reconfigured it's self without a hitch.

I believe if windows wasn't pre-installed it works fine.

I didn't understand your input, you replaced your motherboard and CPU and simply connected you "old" OS drive and booted fine and didn't have any activation issues?

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

•  

Windows 10 does not have a cd key (it simply doesn't work that way anymore unless you purchase a retail copy of it) nor my previously installed windows 8.1 as it was an upgrade from the windows 8 I've purchased online (upgraded to 10 from 8.1).

I know that

im asking do you still have your 8 key

If you have a Retail Windows 7 or Windows 8 licence then you will be able to transfer it to a new motheboard. You will however need to do it sometime soon.

You will need to install you original version of Windows (7 or 8) on the new PC, then upgrade it for free to Windows 10. This will then licence Windows 10 against your hardware, unlicencing it against your old hardware in the process. You will only be able to do this as long as the free upgrade option is available.

If your licence key is OEM then it will be tied to your current motherboard and cannot be trasferred to a new motherboard.

Well, that sounds about right, I purchased windows 8 for the 15$ sale they had when it first came out, and I still have my product key, only I don't know if its retail or OEM..

•  

I didn't understand your input, you replaced your motherboard and CPU and simply connected you "old" OS drive and booted fine and didn't have any activation issues?

yup pretty much, used same ram/SSD and connect to new MB and it fired up.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I know that

im asking do you still have your 8 key

Yes :) I do, in the digital receipt I received after purchasing it, but as I've stated above, I don't know if it's OEM or retail.. should I assume it's a retail copy?

•  

Yes :) I do, in the digital receipt I received after purchasing it, but as I've stated above, I don't know if it's OEM or retail.. should I assume it's a retail copy?

reinstall 8 on the pc..and try the key..if it activates..then your good to go...if it doesn't..well then you have to spend 20$ for a new key

personally id just do a "ARR MATEY.."

reinstall 8 on the pc..and try the key..if it activates..then your good to go...if it doesn't..well then you have to spend 20$ for a new key

personally id just do a "ARR MATEY.."

20$? where exactly does windows 8 cost 20$??

•  

Well, that sounds about right, I purchased windows 8 for the 15$ sale they had when it first came out, and I still have my product key, only I don't know if its retail or OEM..

If you have the licence on a PC at the moment then you will be able to check in the System Properties:

windows-7-system-control-panel.png

If the "Product ID" contians "OEM" then your licence is OEM and cannot be trasferred. Otherwise you should be good to go with the method I said above.

If you need more help feel free to ask :)

If you have the licence on a PC at the moment then you will be able to check in the System Properties:

If the "Product ID" contians "OEM" then your licence is OEM and cannot be trasferred. Otherwise you should be good to go with the method I said above.

If you need more help feel free to ask :)

Thanks buddy, but as I've mentioned, I'm already 2 upgrades beyond the windows 8.. (8.1 > 10)

•  

Weren't these reddit windows sales announced as suspicious\scam? though the prices are amazing..

•  

Weren't these reddit windows sales announced as suspicious\scam? though the prices are amazing..

5% are probably a scam...but Id say most people on the linus forums who need a key for cheap..use one of those sites and don't have any problems with the keys

Thanks buddy, but as I've mentioned, I'm already 2 upgrades beyond the windows 8.. (8.1 > 10)

Sorry for the delayed response, you should still be able to find this in Windows 10. I believe that you can right click the start menu and click "System".

EDIT: I personally wouldn't buy licences from Reddit or G2A or anything like that, but that definitely won't be a popular opinion here. I feel that the price of a new licence is worth it for the peace of mind.