Adding HDD to laptop

DotoreN

I ordered the Asus N551JX with 256gb ssd (with optical drive) not too long ago. 

I want to add a 1TB HDD in there as storage, but I have some questions about it, as I have no clue how to install it (newb when it comes to laptops)

I came across HDD caddy and it looked like I can replace the optical drive with the HDD. See -> 

Is that really all there is to it? I don't have to completely open my laptop and/or wire anything?

Also does this void warranty?

Thanks! =]

You have to open your laptop to get the disk drive out and replace with a hard drive

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

You have to open your laptop to get the disk drive out and replace with a hard drive

Does this void warranty though? 

-snip

About the warranty, I would contact the manufacturer to check to be sure, there should also be a sticker that says void if removed

Does this void warranty though? 

I would guess so, usually waranty is void if you open more than the access panel for the ram/internal hdd

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

~snip~

Hey there DotoreN,

I'd check with the manufacturer of the caddy for instructions on how to properly install it. the optical drive usually uses a slower SATA connection and you may notice slower performance from the drive there.
I could suggest (depending on what you use the laptop for) that you check either a hybrid drive or a dual drive for a good combination between massive storage and good transfer speeds and fast access times: WD Blue SSHD and WD Black2. Both drives should provide a very good performance and would still give you enough storage space: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=0jo9co

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/